Francis the Exorcist

Started by Hohenstaufen, May 21, 2013, 02:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poche

Maybe it was what he referred to as couragous prayer.
Pope Francis encouraged bold prayer and faithful trust in God during his homily at Mass today at Casa Santa Marta in the Vatican.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/courageous-prayer-leads-to-miracles-pope-reflects/

Gerard

"He took as models the prayer of Abraham, "who struggled with the Lord" to save Sodom and Gomorrah,..."

And How did that work out for him?

Is that really the appropriate model?  Bargaining with God only to find out the hard way that God was right and the city deserved to be decimated?

poche

Rome's most well known exorcist says Pope Francis performed an exorcism in St. Peter's Square last Sunday and that the man was possessed because of Mexico's abortion law.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/famous-exorcist-says-popes-simple-prayer-cast-out-demon/

LouisIX

Quote from: poche on May 25, 2013, 02:17:22 AM
Rome's most well known exorcist says Pope Francis performed an exorcism in St. Peter's Square last Sunday and that the man was possessed because of Mexico's abortion law.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/famous-exorcist-says-popes-simple-prayer-cast-out-demon/

"'The Pope, in good faith, got close to him and performed an exorcism on him in the form of a liberation prayer, not like the classical exorcism that one does with a book,' said Father Gabriele Amorth in a May 22 evening interview with CNA."

Just as a few of us had suspected.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Jacafamala

Quote from: Archer on May 22, 2013, 12:53:22 PM
It looked like a type of charasmatic "healing prayer" or it could have been a show.  In any case it wasn't an exorcism. 

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/vatican-spokesman-denies-pope-conducted-exorcism/?utm_content=buffer10186&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer&utm_source=buffer

QuoteVatican City, May 21, 2013 / 04:31 am (CNA/EWTN News).- Pope Francis did not perform an exorcism when he prayed over a young disabled man in St. Peter's Square on Pentecost Sunday, according to the Vatican's spokesman.

"The Pope had no intention of doing an exorcism, so it is absolutely false that this has been done. He simply prayed for the sick person," Vatican press office director Father Federico Lombardi told CNA May 21.

The idea that Pope Francis performed an exorcism was fueled by a video posted online by channel TV2000, which is overseen by the Italian bishops' conference.

In the video, which is a preview of the May 24 episode of "Vade Retro" ("Go Back" in Latin), a young man is presented to the Pope by Legionary Father Juan Rivas.

What he said to the pontiff is unknown, but the Pope seemed to become serious and began praying over the young man in a wheelchair, placing both his hands on his head.

As the Pope prayed, what sounds like a growl can be heard coming from the young man as he opened his mouth and recoiled downward in his chair.

The Pope's security detail can be seen hovering in the background, and one of them comes in to quickly take a letter from the Fr. Rivas, before the Pope passes on the next person.

"As usual, the Pope had many patients and many people in difficulty presented to him, and the Pope always prays intensely for them," Fr. Lombardi said about the encounter.

It would appear the Vatican press may have made a little boo-boo. Perhaps they're afraid of having Papa look too medieval or archaic or something? I dunno.

"Nothing unusual going here..move along, move along."
"I shall die with weapons in my hands."
-St Therese of Lisieux

Mithrandylan

A liberation prayer? 

As I said before:

Quote from: Mithrandylan on May 22, 2013, 01:01:18 PM
It looks more like Francis is putting something in him rather than taking something out of him.
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

Quote from: LouisIX on May 25, 2013, 02:21:51 AM

"'The Pope, in good faith, got close to him and performed an exorcism on him in the form of a liberation prayer, not like the classical exorcism that one does with a book,' said Father Gabriele Amorth in a May 22 evening interview with CNA."

I was a bit confused with my terminology. Based on reading I have done in the past, I had assumed that we do not technically call those exorcisms, but rather something along the lines of "deliverance prayers" (essentially leaving exorcisms as either the major exorcism which we are familiar with, and the minor exorcism of baptism), though Fr. Amorth seems inclined to classify it as a sort of minor exorcism.
It does seem to make sense that a minor exorcism might be performed outside of the rite of baptism.
At the same time, there are occasionally translation issues with Fr. Amorth. Perhaps what he refers to as exorcism in Italian we have distinct terminology for in English.
"This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things, and hath written these things; and we know that his testimony is true. "
Jn:21:24

????????????

LouisIX

Quote from: Irenaeus G. Saintonge on May 25, 2013, 02:53:18 PM

I was a bit confused with my terminology. Based on reading I have done in the past, I had assumed that we do not technically call those exorcisms, but rather something along the lines of "deliverance prayers" (essentially leaving exorcisms as either the major exorcism which we are familiar with, and the minor exorcism of baptism), though Fr. Amorth seems inclined to classify it as a sort of minor exorcism.
It does seem to make sense that a minor exorcism might be performed outside of the rite of baptism.
At the same time, there are occasionally translation issues with Fr. Amorth. Perhaps what he refers to as exorcism in Italian we have distinct terminology for in English.

I suspect that he simply means "exorcism" in the most generic sense, which would be any prayer which attempts to deal with the demonic.  Consider the exorcism prayers at the back of the '62 Missal.  But none of these are THE rite of exorcism which we normally associate with the word "exorcism" and which can only be performed by a priest or bishop.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Archer

Quote from: LouisIX on May 25, 2013, 07:14:47 PM
Quote from: Irenaeus G. Saintonge on May 25, 2013, 02:53:18 PM

I suspect that he simply means "exorcism" in the most generic sense, which would be any prayer which attempts to deal with the demonic.  Consider the exorcism prayers at the back of the '62 Missal.  But none of these are THE rite of exorcism which we normally associate with the word "exorcism" and which can only be performed by a priest or bishop.

I think this is a logical explanation. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

Agreed. It has been a valuable learning experience for me. :)
I wish we heard much more of Fr. Amorth as well. He is certainly one of the 'good guys', in my opinion.
"This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things, and hath written these things; and we know that his testimony is true. "
Jn:21:24

????????????

voxxpopulisuxx

It looks to me that the man who seems to have cerebal palsy or similer is just reacting in the odd (to our eyes)  way folks with those afflictions react to unexpected or unusual stimuli...like someone  especially a stranger (or maybe the man know this is the pope) pressing their hands against their forehead
consider this reaction: if taken out of context all kinds of weird things could be asserted.....just sayin
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWE7lN0XY-4[/yt]
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.