Anyone read Steve Skojec's "Against Crippled Religion"?

Started by Ragnarok, July 14, 2021, 09:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ragnarok

ermy_law

I read it back when he published it. The personal experiences that he has had do not resonate with me, and the latest situation that he describes regarding baptism rings hollow to me given his publicly expressed doubts about the faith (meaning, I think that given those public statements, his pastor was right to want to discuss these issues with him).

That said, I think there is something to his critiques of traditionalism. However, it seems to me that the simple remedy is to exit the online trad-o-sphere with its peculiarities and baggage. I've never experienced the sorts of oddities in real life that one can find on the internet.

Also, as a convert who shortly after conversion in the NO discovered trad-ism (mostly thru the internet) and ultimately left for Orthodoxy (only to return to Catholicism via the SSPX), I thought that the letter from a friend toward the end of the article questioning whether you've ever been Catholic was very well-put. I know that I have asked that question of myself over the years in struggling with these things. For myself, I resolved that by answering: Yes, I am Catholic, but I am not in league with the Novus Ordo "church" -- whatever that means. When we firmly decided we'd never go back to the Novus Ordo, things were clearer. It seems that Steve's cognitive dissonance might be rooted in not making that sort of overt choice between the binaries of truth and falsity... but what do I know?

Miriam_M

Quote from: ermy_law on July 14, 2021, 11:05:11 AM
I read it back when he published it. The personal experiences that he has had do not resonate with me, and the latest situation that he describes regarding baptism rings hollow to me given his publicly expressed doubts about the faith (meaning, I think that given those public statements, his pastor was right to want to discuss these issues with him).

That said, I think there is something to his critiques of traditionalism. However, it seems to me that the simple remedy is to exit the online trad-o-sphere with its peculiarities and baggage. I've never experienced the sorts of oddities in real life that one can find on the internet.

Also, as a convert who shortly after conversion in the NO discovered trad-ism (mostly thru the internet) and ultimately left for Orthodoxy (only to return to Catholicism via the SSPX), I thought that the letter from a friend toward the end of the article questioning whether you've ever been Catholic was very well-put. I know that I have asked that question of myself over the years in struggling with these things. For myself, I resolved that by answering: Yes, I am Catholic, but I am not in league with the Novus Ordo "church" -- whatever that means. When we firmly decided we'd never go back to the Novus Ordo, things were clearer. It seems that Steve's cognitive dissonance might be rooted in not making that sort of overt choice between the binaries of truth and falsity... but what do I know?

Apparently you know more than you think, because I consider your reply well put. For one thing, your post does highlight one of the major problems with "online Catholicism," which is the lack of clarity within the N.O. structure regarding doctrine, and that is the responsibility of the modern Church.  So the problem is (I agree) someone who has been "formed" by that shaky foundation embarking on the risky endeavor of opening a website with the purported hope of providing clarity (including through contributors, whose own formation might also be in doubt), but with the result that the venture creates greater doubt or merely a different flavor of confusion and controversy. 

Look, we can all agree on this point, I'm sure:  Catholicism in its purity, particularly Tradition and all the beauty that conveys to the soul, eye, and heart, is intoxicating.  A true conversion is essentially a love affair that yearns to rejoice and proclaim that joy, evangelizing through it as well.  But because the Church has not yet returned to its oneness of yesteryear, its current bitter divisions cannot be avoided in a universally available online environment. Controversy and conflict, inner and outer, is inevitable.

Bless you for sharing your journey, Emmy.

Lynne

Steve has always been hyper-critical. Thank you for reminding me that I need to pray for him.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Michael Wilson

Steve has a right to be angry, he has had a lot of unfortunate experiences; but reading this article, it appears that he tends to confuse 'Catholicism" with "Catholics", especially Priests. The "final straw", was a priest being a little too rigorous. He made a mistake, a human mistake. That is no reason to give up on your faith.
Re. Secondly; "Traditional Catholicism" isn't the same thing as Civil War re-enacting; it would be the same, only if the re-enacters used live ammo, and really re-fought the Civil War. Trads are not play acting, we are dead serious about practicing our faith and saving our souls. We know that the faith that we received and that we practice is the same as that of our parents, grandparents and so on. The big difference is that we don't have the Pope doing his job, se we are left practically to fend for ourselves. But God does not abandon us; and if we are faithful to the graces that He gives us, we will pass on this same faith to our children that ourselves and they may arrive at our heavenly destination, and so on, until the end of the World.
I had to edit that last sentence; English writing and grammar isn't my forte.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Christina_S

Quote from: Ragnarok on July 14, 2021, 09:31:44 AM
This was published in May.

For those who read about it, what do you think?

https://skojecfile.steveskojec.com/p/against-crippled-religion
That is one of the darkest, black-pilled takes I've ever read. Thank you for sharing, but yikes: it really is bad out there.

His follow-up post, An Epidemic of Brokenness, contains an interesting bit:
QuoteCatholicism is broken. (More howls.) It is a broken religion run in this earthly realm by broken men. Corrupt men. Very often evil men. Men who do not care one iota for your wellbeing, spiritual or otherwise. Yes, there are good men too, but by and large, it has gone so far off the rails that there is virtually no possibility that human intervention can set it aright. Only God can do it, and so, that's His job. Not ours.

The simplest, arguably most effective pragmatic response to a crisis this deep is one many have already identified: focus on personal holiness and the duties of one's state in life. To do this, and do it sanely, many have chosen to ignore what is happening in the Church.

Prudentially, I think this is probably wise if not pursued to the point of complete ignorance. But I think this approach, necessary though it may be, only underscores the problem: if the Church is the means Christ established for our salvation, but the Church via its hierarchy and ministers is also such an impediment to salvation that its condition must be ignored in order to obtain it, something is very, very wrong.
(bold mine)

I'm off to share it with like-minded Catholics and pray for the Church. What a nasty season to live through.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Jacob

Rod Dreher read this and had his own take on it, agreeing wholeheartedly with Steve.  One of his readers who attends Steve's parish emailed him and told Rod Steve's description of the pastor is completely off.  Make of that what you will.

Having read Steve's piece and being familiar with his work over all, I think Steve needs our prayers.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Maximilian

Quote from: Michael Wilson on July 14, 2021, 03:05:39 PM
Steve has a right to be angry, he has had a lot of unfortunate experiences;

Believing that "unfortunate experiences" give you a right to be angry is a fundamental error. Very often it is a game-ending, fatal error.

but reading this article, it appears that he tends to confuse 'Catholicism" with "Catholics", especially Priests.

That's not confusion, that's reality. The sacraments come from priests. The Catholic Church is a clerical society.

The "final straw", was a priest being a little too rigorous. He made a mistake, a human mistake.

We don't know that the priest made a mistake, human or otherwise. It is a sin of rash judgment to condemn after hearing only 1 side of the argument. Even taking only the words of Skojec, there is no definite evidence of a mistake by the priest.

That is no reason to give up on your faith.

Skojec had already given up on the practice of the Faith before this incident occurred. He was having a crisis of faith and stopped attending Mass.

Re. Secondly; "Traditional Catholicism" isn't the same thing as Civil War re-enacting; it would be the same, only if the re-enacters used live ammo, and really re-fought the Civil War. Trads are not play acting, we are dead serious about practicing our faith and saving our souls.

Excellent point about genuine traditionalists. Skojec, in contrast, feels like he is "play-acting," and that highlights the danger of remaining "semi-traditional."

The big difference is that we don't have the Pope doing his job, so we are left practically to fend for ourselves. But God does not abandon us; and if we are faithful to the graces that He gives us, we will pass on this same faith to our children and ourselves and they arrive at our heavenly destination, until the end of the World.

Yes, God is faithful.

Maximilian

Quote from: Christina_S on July 14, 2021, 03:22:28 PM

I'm off to share it with like-minded Catholics

I don't recommend sharing Skojec's articles. They could be very destructive for the faith of some readers.

and pray for the Church.

Yes, please.

Maximilian

Quote from: Jacob on July 14, 2021, 03:55:08 PM
One of his readers who attends Steve's parish emailed him and told Rod Steve's description of the pastor is completely off. 

Yes, it's important to remember that there are two sides to every argument.

I think Steve needs our prayers.

Yes, he's in a very dark place. Unfortunately, his electronic pulpit gives him the opportunity to destroy himself by spreading that darkness to thousands of others.

mikemac

Quote from: Ragnarok on July 14, 2021, 09:31:44 AM
This was published in May.

For those who read about it, what do you think?

https://skojecfile.steveskojec.com/p/against-crippled-religion
That is one of the darkest, black-pilled takes I've ever read. Thank you for sharing, but yikes: it really is bad out there.

His follow-up post, An Epidemic of Brokenness, contains an interesting bit:
QuoteCatholicism is broken. (More howls.) It is a broken religion run in this earthly realm by broken men. Corrupt men. Very often evil men. Men who do not care one iota for your wellbeing, spiritual or otherwise. Yes, there are good men too, but by and large, it has gone so far off the rails that there is virtually no possibility that human intervention can set it aright. Only God can do it, and so, that's His job. Not ours.

The simplest, arguably most effective pragmatic response to a crisis this deep is one many have already identified: focus on personal holiness and the duties of one's state in life. To do this, and do it sanely, many have chosen to ignore what is happening in the Church.

Prudentially, I think this is probably wise if not pursued to the point of complete ignorance. But I think this approach, necessary though it may be, only underscores the problem: if the Church is the means Christ established for our salvation, but the Church via its hierarchy and ministers is also such an impediment to salvation that its condition must be ignored in order to obtain it, something is very, very wrong.
(bold mine)

I'm off to share it with like-minded Catholics and pray for the Church. What a nasty season to live through.

I would actually tell people that were close to despair not to read "Against Crippled Religion".  At least in his follow up post he realizes the one and only solution.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

TandJ

Quote from: Maximilian on July 14, 2021, 05:03:08 PM
One of his readers who attends Steve's parish emailed him and told Rod Steve's description of the pastor is completely off. 

Yes, it's important to remember that there are two sides to every argument.

I think Steve needs our prayers.

Yes, he's in a very dark place. Unfortunately, his electronic pulpit gives him the opportunity to destroy himself by spreading that darkness to thousands of others.

How is he destroying himself by sharing his feelings?

Maximilian

Quote from: TandJ on July 14, 2021, 09:00:07 PM

Because he will be held culpable for every soul that is damaged.

Miriam_M

Quote from: Maximilian on July 14, 2021, 09:27:16 PM
Quote from: TandJ on July 14, 2021, 09:00:07 PM

Because he will be held culpable for every soul that is damaged.

And also because feelings do not equal truth.  I realize that many people use the word "feelings" to mean perspective or even thoughts, but in this case I think TandJ's question is apt because the piece from Skojec is quite emotional and not well reasoned. Our feelings often distort reality.  One of our local priests discussed the article shortly after it appeared, supposedly demolishing Skojec's claims and criticisms and doing so in an unusual weekday sermon during a Low Mass.  I say "supposedly" because I was not there but it was reported to me by a trusted person who heard the sermon and is not prone to exaggeration or distortion.

Vetus Ordo

I'm sorry to ask but who on earth is Skojec?

And why does what he thinks even matter?

DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.