New Ordinariate Rite of Mass posted and compared to the BDW

Started by Parresia, October 29, 2013, 07:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parresia

http://anglicanusenews.blogspot.com/2013/10/outline-of-new-ordinariate-eucharistic.html
http://anglicanphiladelphia.org/articles/ordinariateuse.pdf

I just came across this now, so I have had zero time to look through it or unpack it.  That being said, I am not all that knowledgeable in liturgical theology and history anyway, so that might be a good thing.  Regardless, I am quite interested in this, and look forward to going through it and hearing what others have to say.  An Ordinariate priest that I know stated (a couple of weeks ago) that the new rite would be more traditional than what is used in the BDW.  I happen to think that Rite I from the BDW is quite beautiful and a decent representation of what the Mass could have been if small tweaks had been made to the TLM rather than the mess that actually happened.  Of course, that is just my opinion.  So, the idea that the new Rite would be more traditional than the BDW is quite appealing to me. 

+Pax 

Othmar

This is extremely interesting. Thank you for posting this!

Parresia

Othmar

Having read through it, the changes seem to be very welcome. I'm glad to see that they have moved away from the 1979 Episcopal BCP. I had feared it would be the other way around.

Parresia

Quote from: Othmar on October 29, 2013, 02:27:49 PM
Having read through it, the changes seem to be very welcome. I'm glad to see that they have moved away from the 1979 Episcopal BCP. I had feared it would be the other way around.

I honestly did not know what to expect.  As I noted above, an Ordinariate priest told me that it was going to be much more traditional the the BDW, which it certainly seems to be based upon the breakdown given.  Frankly, I look forward to experiencing it, hopefully in the not too distant future. 

rbjmartin

I like that it is more "Roman" and that they have abandoned many of the fake Byzantine appropriations, which have no precedent in the Western traditions.

Othmar

For what it's worth, I already liked the BDW far more than the Novus Ordo. It simply got better. Now, we only need to see reprintings of the Sarum Use, as an ordinariate equivalent to the "Indult TLM".

rbjmartin

Interesting that the Last Gospel has returned as an option.

Parresia

Quote from: rbjmartin on October 30, 2013, 03:53:16 PM
I like that it is more "Roman" and that they have abandoned many of the fake Byzantine appropriations, which have no precedent in the Western traditions.

Agreed.  I am fully supportive of Eastern Catholics removing "Latinizations" from their liturgies and parish life which may have crept it, and by the same token, I support Roman Rite parishes being fully Roman.  I love Eastern Catholic Churches and very much enjoyed my one Divine Liturgy experience, so it has nothing to do with that. 

To me the "Byzantinizations" (to coin a phrase) which crept into the BCP in the late 1970's is reflective of the incorrect idea that some anti-Catholics in the Anglican Church have proposed that they were really Orthodox rather than Catholic, etc. 

I very much look forward to seeing this new Rite of Mass celebrated, and hopefully experiencing it. 

Parresia

Parresia

http://www.catholicworldreport.com/Item/2677/in_london_the_ordinariate_begins_to_bear_fruit.aspx#.UnGF8fnErwh

Very interesting article.  Its nice to see some parishes getting buildings of their own and start to take off.  I think there will be many tradition minded Catholics, who for whatever reason have not been able to make the leap to the TLM, starting to show up at these parishes. 

Its very sad to hear of bishops not giving parishes which are scheduled to be closed down to fledgling Ordinariate communities and instead giving them to Muslim groups or tearing them down. 

Finally, the last two paragraphs or so are very interesting, and hopefully a sign of God's pleasure at this endeavor. 

Kaesekopf

Does anyone know how the new Ordinariate's Mass compares to the Sarum Use?
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Parresia

Quote from: Kaesekopf on October 30, 2013, 09:11:17 PM
Does anyone know how the new Ordinariate's Mass compares to the Sarum Use?

The Sarum use, the TLM, and the original BCP were all significant influences to my understanding.  How much was pulled from the Sarum is not something I know.  The link I posted above discusses differences from the BDW and some of those changes were influenced by the Sarum.  Again, there could be more, as that only looks at differences. 

Parresia

drummerboy

What's "BDW" an acronym for?

This will actually come in helpful as I have to do a 20 minute presentation on Holy Orders for a class.

- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne