Best Foreign Films?

Started by Livenotonevil, August 30, 2018, 06:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drummerboy

Isn't the original The Italian Job a foreign job too? 

The Battle of Britain has a whole slew of classic British actors; the movie is a bit long, but very accurate in its presentation.    Zulu is good too.  And yes, they are all early Michael Caine films.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

drummerboy

Watched My Way, a Korean film a while back, that was good, based on the true story of a Korean man who was conscripted to fight for the Japanese against the Soviets in WWII, was captured, then fought the Germans for the Soviets, who then captured him, and ended up being captured by the Americans at D-Day fighting for the Germans.

The White Tiger is a good Russian movie you can find on youtube, lot of WWII tank action.

Valhalla Rising with Mads Mikkelsen is a something else
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Heinrich

Quote from: drummerboy on October 09, 2018, 11:21:53 PM
Watched My Way, a Korean film a while back, that was good, based on the true story of a Korean man who was conscripted to fight for the Japanese against the Soviets in WWII, was captured, then fought the Germans for the Soviets, who then captured him, and ended up being captured by the Americans at D-Day fighting for the Germans.

Watched this last night. What a great production: effects, uniforms, languages, camera work, etc. The battle against the Russian tanks and the unending stream of weaponry and manpower wearing down the opponent, no matter the bravery(or stupidity) and tactics of the ideological opponent: the cold, misery, anger, solitude, despair all put on screen. A side analysis to note is "Anton's" conversion from peasant to Marxist fanatic. Gives good glimpse into what could have been the mindset of many of the (North) Koreans after WW2.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Jacob

Quote from: Heinrich on October 08, 2018, 09:42:45 AM
Has anyone mentioned the Pink Panther franchise?

The Pink Panther and its sequels are movies I think of as being "of their time."  From the animated opening credits to the romps through 60s society, they serve as cool capsules of a time and a place and a style that is now history.

They would not be my first thought when thinking of foreign films.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

martin88nyc

Almost any movie with Louis de Funes or Pierre Richard.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33