Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernardus

Quote from: Larry on April 25, 2014, 08:14:33 PM
Double Indemnity.
I saw it a few days ago. A true classic.

Larry

Quote from: Bernardus on April 26, 2014, 03:33:16 PM
Double Indemnity.

Yeah, Barbara Stanwyck is amazing in it(both performance and the way she looks). It's one of my favorite movies. I just got the Blu-ray. I'm thinking of another Billy Wilder tonight(maybe Sabrina, which also just came out on Blu-ray).
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Lynne

Quote from: Chestertonian on April 26, 2014, 03:30:07 PM
The 1970's version of Winnie the Pooh

Awww. I bet someone else was watching it with you...

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Bernardus

Quote from: Larry on April 26, 2014, 06:23:12 PM
Double Indemnity.

Yeah, Barbara Stanwyck is amazing in it(both performance and the way she looks). It's one of my favorite movies. I just got the Blu-ray. I'm thinking of another Billy Wilder tonight(maybe Sabrina, which also just came out on Blu-ray).
Mine is part of a Billy Wilder DVD box, but it's of rather low quality. I ought to replace it with Blu-rays too.

Larry

Quote from: Bernardus on April 26, 2014, 06:47:29 PM
Quote from: Larry on April 26, 2014, 06:23:12 PM
Double Indemnity.

Mine is part of a Billy Wilder DVD box, but it's of rather low quality. I ought to replace it with Blu-rays too.

The Blu-ray is nice, but I've never seen the DVD so I don't know it it's worth an upgrade. Universal owns the Paramount library from the thirties and forties, and it's in rough shape. There's only so much they can do to make the picture pristine. The Blu-ray is sharp, but grainy.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Michael Wilson

Quote from: The Harlequin King on April 25, 2014, 03:55:41 PM
Quote from: Michael Wilson on April 24, 2014, 03:56:00 PM
Quote from: Arun on April 23, 2014, 04:24:53 PM
Quote from: Michael Wilson on April 23, 2014, 04:15:13 PM

I agree that the Japanese and others may not consider it a sin, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a sin; just the same as some of the practices that the Missionaries in America found that the Indians were practicing; they were part of the their civil code but were still sinful.

i'm not disagreeing with you about that; however it makes sense that it would be depicted as noble, as thats the way they looked at it. doesn't mean it is, just that it was considered to be.
Of course, I was just issuing a warning to those who might want to see this movie of the objectionable message.

Or dueling and bullfighting in early modern Europe, lol.
:laugh:
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Archer

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Mathieu

Ikiru (??? in japanese, means "to live"). A movie by Akira Kurosawa. Wonderful.

Arun

Akira Kurosawa was a genius.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Adeodatus

Quote from: Arun on May 01, 2014, 04:31:08 PM

You can say that again! What an amazing director.
¡Viva Cristo Rey!
Sh'ma Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu Adonai E?ad

Chestertonian

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Arun

Quote from: Adeodatus on May 01, 2014, 06:31:20 PM

You can say that again! What an amazing director.

the little details eh. and the swordwork in his films is always correct. i hate watching films with kenjutsu that is incorrect.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

J. Blevins

Quote from: Mathieu on May 01, 2014, 02:16:26 PM
Ikiru (??? in japanese, means "to live"). A movie by Akira Kurosawa. Wonderful.

Ikiru is such a beautiful film.

The day Kurosawa died was a hard day.

Sent from the galley of the Hispaniola.
Using Tapatalk

Maximilian

Ran and Kagemusha. Both classic epics.

Both are from his last period, but I think it's his most mature work. Plus I haven't seen most of his early films.