Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

Quote from: tradne4163 on August 15, 2013, 10:20:57 PM
The Expendables 2. It is surprisingly good, as long as you know from the start that it is deliberately being cheesy.

I've never laughed so hard for so long during a movie.

I also almost choked and died on popcorn when Stallone gave his heart-wrenching speech in the mountains.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

tradne4163

Quote from: Kaesekopf on August 15, 2013, 11:04:40 PM
Quote from: tradne4163 on August 15, 2013, 10:20:57 PM
The Expendables 2. It is surprisingly good, as long as you know from the start that it is deliberately being cheesy.

I've never laughed so hard for so long during a movie.

I also almost choked and died on popcorn when Stallone gave his heart-wrenching speech in the mountains.
Don't forget the Chuck Norris Cameo. He actually had a line that was a Chuck Norris joke.
Not to mention the big shootout near the end.
Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Take any post I write with a grain of salt. I've been wrong before, and can be again

Archer

Quote from: LouisIX on August 15, 2013, 09:43:28 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on August 15, 2013, 09:24:29 PM
I'm currently watching Fast and Furious.

Such a great movie.  It's a pity I've waited so long to see it.

You might want to stop posting in this thread.  Or at least lie about what you're watching.

Seriously. If he thinks Fast and Furious is a great movie he needs professional help.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Habitual_Ritual

Judge Dredd

Quite awesome, quite violent and not for the kiddies. As a child fan of the comic book I was pleased with the translation compared with the disastrous Stallone version of some years back.
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Gerard

I went and saw "Elysium."

Heard that it was preachy in the class warfare category, but while the "bad guys" were almost cartoonish, there was some gradation. 

All in all, it reminded me of the old Charlton Heston sci fi movies like Omega Man, Planet of the Apes or Soylent Green. 

It also borrows from the Greek myths for more than just the word "Elysium" it has a bit of Prometheus, Deadalous and the Minotaur elements and Icarus thrown in for good measure. 

Not anything I'd plan on owning but wouldn't be a waste of time to watch on basic TV or to rent.  No sex, lots of foul language and some bloody gore involved in the injuries and killling. 

Adeodatus

Kick-Ass 2.

It was good but not stellar. The first one is in a class of its own. This one continued to examine the same themes from a different angle, but by its very nature (taking this particular angle) it was more cartoonish than the first one. Definitely enjoyable. Not family fare at all, however.

They do touch on, though only obliquely, a question that interests me: where are all the charismatic overachieving reckless genius narcissists? Alexander, Julius, Bonaparte, etc.? I'm speaking of "heroism" in the Classical sense. The answer is that our society does not reward that spirit directly; rather, it channels it into very limited arenas such as business (you can have some treasure as long as you don't rock the boat). No one is allowed to try to remake society in their image, because society itself disallows it. Or, as my wife put it more succinctly, people have turned into a bunch of pussies.
¡Viva Cristo Rey!
Sh'ma Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu Adonai E?ad

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Larry

The documentary Fatima narrated by Ricardo Montalban.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Anastasia

The Winslow Boy, a great movie. Possibly the best end line in any movie ever.
People talk vaguely about the innocence of a little child, but they take mighty good care not to let it out of their sight for twenty minutes.-Saki.
"Meanwhile, Fate was quietly slipping lead into the boxing glove. "
— P.G. Wodehouse

voxxpopulisuxx

Dead Man with johnny depp weird but compelling
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

Bonaventure

28 Days Later

I thought it was decent, but considering what fans of the genre say about it, certainly overrated.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

piabee

Quote from: Anastasia on August 19, 2013, 05:12:40 PM
The Winslow Boy, a great movie. Possibly the best end line in any movie ever.

Love this movie.

Bonaventure

Kingdom of Heaven

I heard from many, even secular people, that the film tried too hard to promote a historical view that became popular after 9/11. This convivencia approach to history is inaccurate and not firmly grounded; since it only wishes to promote coexistence after 9/11, Iraq, and so on, it will become passé once these events fade from popular memory.

Halfway through I had to stop watching it. Thomas F. Madden, a medieval history professor at St. Louis University, had this to say on the film, and I wholeheartedly agree:

The second major anachronism is the movie's approach to religion. Most people know that the Crusades were wars of faith. Crusaders underwent extreme hardship, risking their lives and expending enormous amounts of money because of their devotion to Christ, his Church, and his people. Crusader piety also manifested itself in extraordinary devotion to the Virgin Mary and the saints, particularly those saints who had lived in the Holy Land. The Kingdom of Heaven, however, performs the delicate operation of stripping religious piety completely out of the Crusades. Balian and his father appear to be agnostics. Other Crusaders, like the Hospitaller, are openly critical of religion. Indeed, all of the good guys in this movie seem to have no devotion to God at all, only a devotion to tolerance. The bad guys, on the other hand, are all religiously devout, which causes them to be either evil (like Guy and Reynald) or mad (like the glassy-eyed preacher who chants, "To kill a Muslim is not murder, it is the path to heaven"). In other words, the medieval world is portrayed in much the same way that Hollywood views America: Smart people either have no religion or do not take it very seriously. The rest are right-wing Christian fanatics.

There are no churches in this movie, not even in the holiest of cities. There are no monks, no nuns, and very few pilgrims, all of whom would have filled the streets of medieval Jerusalem. Only two priests appear in the film, one a twisted corpse mutilator and the other a villain whose strategy for defending Jerusalem is to convert to Islam and leave the people to die. Scott scatters a few crosses here and there, but there are no crucifixes, which were much more common in the Middle Ages. Beautiful set decoration of Crusader palaces includes no icons of Mary or the saints, indeed no religious art of any kind. Christians, Muslims, and Jews all live in harmony in this cinematic Jerusalem. Yet, in truth non-Christians were forbidden to live in the Holy City during the reign of Baldwin IV. But it is not just Christianity that Scott sterilizes. Muslims are shown praying a few times in the film, yet the only devout Muslim is a black-robed cleric demanding that Saladin attack the Christians and capture Jerusalem. The message here is clear: Religion leads to fanaticism, and fanaticism leads to war.

I should add that one character bluntly states that fanatics, especially the Templars, are the ones pushing for war. Those who profess Tolerance, rather than Catholicism or Islam, are the heroes of what essentially is Boccaccio's Tale of the Three Rings with Hollywood frosting.

Habitual_Ritual

Drop Dead Gorgeous.

The early 90s parody on beauty pageants in the style of Spinal tap or Best in Show.
Quite good. Not for kiddies.
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)