Legion of Decency Question

Started by red solo cup, June 12, 2018, 07:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

Quote from: red solo cup on June 13, 2018, 02:05:17 PM
This was a seriously messed up movie.

In the book the girl gets away with it and her mother dies.  The movie, to meet morality standards, had to change the ending so that evil was punished.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

drummerboy

Quote from: Jayne on June 13, 2018, 04:48:49 PM

In the book the girl gets away with it and her mother dies.  The movie, to meet morality standards, had to change the ending so that evil was punished.

The same thing happens with the Alfred Hitchcock Presents.  Hitchcock, who loved to push the boundries with the censors, often had the evil doer get away with their deed; however, in the dialogue with which he closed the show, he always narrated a different ending in which the evildoer's deeds caught up with them
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Gardener

Quote from: drummerboy on June 13, 2018, 11:11:47 PM

The same thing happens with the Alfred Hitchcock Presents.  Hitchcock, who loved to push the boundries with the censors, often had the evil doer get away with their deed; however, in the dialogue with which he closed the show, he always narrated a different ending in which the evildoer's deeds caught up with them

A more realistic thing, though. Evil appears to win in this life, but it will and shall be punished eventually.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

drummerboy

Quote from: Gardener on June 14, 2018, 05:53:29 AM
Quote from: drummerboy on June 13, 2018, 11:11:47 PM

A more realistic thing, though. Evil appears to win in this life, but it will and shall be punished eventually.

True.  I've heard he was Catholic, you can tell that if influences his work, besides the fact that his wife helped him write, which would explain the large amount of episodes dealing with marriage
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

jovan66102

He was, indeed. He attended a Jesuit grammar school, and a Jesuit heard his last Confession and gave him viaticum.
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux
https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/

Carleendiane

Quote from: Lynne on June 13, 2018, 05:25:39 AM
Quote from: Críostóir on June 12, 2018, 11:28:24 AM
Both of the lists below are apparently incomplete:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_condemned_by_the_Legion_of_Decency

I'm surprised that the Exorcist is on there.

Why? I thought it was a "bad" movie, though I am probably one of the few that never saw it, lol. I had people tell me, "Don't watch it! Don't watch it!" Was it not bad?
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Carleendiane on June 20, 2018, 09:13:20 PM

Why? I thought it was a "bad" movie, though I am probably one of the few that never saw it, lol. I had people tell me, "Don't watch it! Don't watch it!" Was it not bad?

I've never seen it because I was told a girl does terrible things to a crucifix...

The one that's condemned for no apparent reason (at least to me) is Ice Castles. What could possibly be wrong with that one?  I mean, it's cheesy, sure, but immoral?  Nah...
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Lynne

Quote from: Carleendiane on June 20, 2018, 09:13:20 PM

I haven't seen it either because I've heard it's really scary (I don't do scary movies). However, it's based on an actual exorcism, although the real one involved a boy who became possessed when he used a Ouija board with his aunt. They were Lutherans, I believe, but eventually had to go a Catholic priest for the exorcism.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Larry

I think the USCCB revised the rating on The Exorcist to  "adults with reservations".
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross