Plenary Indulgence Reminders for First Week in November

Started by Kaesekopf, October 31, 2013, 02:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

Plenary Indulgence Reminders for First Week in November
http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2013/10/plenary-indulgence-reminders-for-first.html

QuoteNovember, the month especially dedicated to the Poor Souls, begins tomorrow, with the most richly indulgenced week of the year - we could call it Indulgence Week, for the great generosity with which the spiritual wealth of indulgences is made available by the Church.

There are several plenary indulgences available for the first week in November. They are the following:

For the faithful departed
§ 1. A plenary indulgence, applied exclusively to the souls in Purgatory, is granted to the Christian faithful who:

1° on each single day, from the first to the eighth day in November, devoutly visit a cemetery and, even if only mentally, pray for the faithful departed; [Note: one plenary indulgence for each day, if the usual conditions are met]

2° on the day of Commemoration of All Faithful Departed [November 2] (or, according to the Ordinary, on the preceding or subsequent Sunday, or on the day of the solemnity of All Saints) piously visit a church or oratory and there recite the Pater and the Credo.

(Reference: Enchiridion Indulgentiarum, 4th edition, al. concessiones.)
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Jayne

Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Kaesekopf

I'm bumping and pinning this until Nov 8.

Are you visiting cemeteries to free souls from Purgatory?

Quote from: Devotion to the Holy Souls in Purgatory, by St. Alphonsus Liguori, taken from The Purgatorian Manual"The practice of recommending to God the souls in Purgatory, that He may mitigate the great pains which they suffer, and that He may soon bring them to His glory, is most pleasing to the Lord and most profitable to us.  For these blessed souls are His eternal spouses, and most grateful are they to those who obtain their deliverance from prison, or even a mitigation of their torments.  When, therefore, they arrive in Heaven, they will be sure to remember all who have prayed for them.  It is a pious belief that God manifests to them our prayers in their behalf, that they may also pray for us.  It is true these blessed souls are not in a state to pray for themselves, because they are, so to speak, criminals atoning for their faults.  However, because they are very dear to God, they can pray for us, and obtain for us the divine graces.  St. Catherine of Bologna, when she wished to obtain any grace, had recourse to the souls in Purgatory, and her prayers were heard immediately.  She declared that, by praying to those holy souls, she obtained many favors which she had sought through the intercession of the saints without obtaining them.  The graces which devout persons are said to have received through these holy souls are innumerable. 

But, if we wish for the aid of their prayers, it is just, it is even a duty, to relieve them by our suffrages.  I say, it is even a duty: for Christian charity commands us to relieve our neighbors who stand in need of our assistance.  But who among all our neighbors have so great need of our help as those holy prisoners?  They are continually in that fire which torments more severely than any earthly fire.  They are deprived of the sight of God, a torment far more excruciating than all other pains.  Let us reflect that among these suffering souls are parents, or brothers, or relations and friends, who look to us for succor.  Let us remember, moreover, that being in the condition of debtors for their sins, they cannot assist themselves.  This thought should urge us forward to relieve them to the best of our ability.  By assisting them we shall not only give great pleasure to God, but will acquire also great merit for ourselves.  And, in return for our suffrages, these blessed souls will not neglect to obtain for us many graces from God, but particularly the grace of eternal life.  I hold certain that a soul delivered from Purgatory by the suffrages of a Christian, when she enters paradise, will not fail to say to God: 'Lord, do not suffer to be lost that person who has liberated me from the prison of Purgatory, and has brought me to the enjoyment of Thy glory sooner than I had deserved.'"

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

verenaerin

Yesterday the kids and I drove around to various cemeteries and said an Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be for any sould in Purgatory. We also asked that for those who couldn't be freed at that time, that the BVM would bring them a glass of water to relieve their suffering.

I couldn't make it to a Church because I had all four kids by myself. So hopefully this alternative was pleasing to God.

Jayne

Great idea to pin this.  I visited a cemetery on All Souls day and should be able to every day this week.  It was raining so I spent most of my time praying in my car, but I got out and prayed among the graves for a little while.  I enjoyed how quiet it was. 

I noticed myself looking at the tombstones of people who died before Vatican II and thinking how fortunate they were to get proper funerals.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Kaesekopf

Second to last day to free some souls from Purgatory!

Get to it!

Kaesekopf

Cesar_Augustus

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Rose

To Jesus through Mary.

Remember the Holy Souls!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Kaesekopf

Bumping!

Don't forget to pray for the Poor Souls at church today!

And swing by a cemetery afterwards...  ;)

verenaerin

Every year the kids and I visit the cemeteries and say prayers. We don't even get out of the car. There are about 8 cemeteries around us I can think of. I look forward to doing this tomorrow.

Chestertonian

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Kaesekopf

MundaCorMeum

I hope this isn't too off topic, but is it authentic Church teaching that a single drop of holy water can release a soul from purgatory to Heaven?  I read that years ago, and since then I have always crossed myself twice with holy water each time I enter a church.  First, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.  Second, I cross myself and pray, "release a soul to Heaven."