Who's Watching the War and Peace Miniseries?

Started by Bernadette, January 17, 2016, 03:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

Starts tomorrow night. :) I'm looking forward to it, since seeing it on screen might help me to keep the characters straight. Two attempts at reading it have failed, so this might be my only chance to find out what happens!   :lol:
My Lord and my God.

Jacob

I will most likely if I remember it's on.  What channel will it be on?

I've read War and Peace (long long ago when i was still a reader who could blow through anything) and I've been meaning to read it again sometime.  Maybe the mini-series will cure my craving for Russian costume drama.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Prayerful

Quote from: Jacob on January 17, 2016, 06:17:18 PM
I will most likely if I remember it's on.  What channel will it be on?

I've read War and Peace (long long ago when i was still a reader who could blow through anything) and I've been meaning to read it again sometime.  Maybe the mini-series will cure my craving for Russian costume drama.

When I read it, I took to skipping the philosophy and just going with the narrative.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Jayne

I'm not watching it on TV and I didn't read the book.  But I read this cartoon:

I hope this wasn't a spoiler.  ;D
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

LausTibiChriste

Russians sad? I don't believe it.

I heard the series is really good though - it's on my list of things to watch.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

Chestertonian

one of my favorite books from back when i had an attention span.  I was not aware of a miniseries what channel is it on?

i have found with this book and with other books, the translation makes a difference.  some translations are good for understanding the book and reading an academic context, but they are not necessarily the most enjoyable... the first time around was in a literature class, and the professor had us reading the maudes translation,which is the onlyEnglish translation Tolstoy himself approved of.  it's a very literal translation and they also translated the bits that were in French right within the original paragraphs, which some people like.  the maudes is widely used among literature scholars

there is a newer translation that keeps the French in the passages and translates them into footnotes, which i personally would prefer.  i have not read the entire version of that, though.  perhaps if i did, i might reconsider

the 2nd time around iread the Garnett trsnslation it's a bit more poetic and lyrical but the translator took a bit more license, kind of like the Jerusalem Bible vs. Douay Rheims...I find this translation was a joy to read, almost magical, and better highlights Tolstoy's unique style

many also find the Briggs translation very approachable although i am not as familiar with that one.

i also used to listen to one translation through your headphones while reading another....best of both worlds
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Chestertonian

and while everyone suffers, i would not say they are all sad
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Greg

It's well acted.  But it has some serious shagging in episode 2.

Not for children or animals.  Definitely 18 certificate.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

OCLittleFlower

Thanks for the warning about Episode 2 -- we had to cover the kids' eyes during Episode 1 at a few points.  It's a beautiful series, though, despite that (and there was no actual *nudity*).

As far as translation goes, I like the Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky version -- a good balance of literal and readable, and he is a native English speaker while his wife is a native Russian speaker, so they check and double check each other.  I wish I'd gotten the hardcover -- the paperback is heavy and floppy at the same time, which is a rough combination. 
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Bernadette

Quote from: Chestertonian on January 18, 2016, 11:32:52 PM
one of my favorite books from back when i had an attention span.  I was not aware of a miniseries what channel is it on?

Lifetime, A&E, and History. You can watch last night's episode online, too: http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/war-and-peace
My Lord and my God.