Is [i]The Lord of the Rings[/i] really Catholic?

Started by VeraeFidei, February 05, 2014, 01:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VeraeFidei

Too long to post the entire article.

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-fantasy-writing-of-tolkien-was.html#more

This is quite provocative, seeing as a lot of trads, myself included, are big fans of Tolkein and LOTR. I am not sure what I think (only read the first 1/2 so far, it is long).

Sockpuppet

Is there anything we're allowed to read?

Hannelore

I didn't read The Lord of the Rings critically. I read it as a fantasy epic, and enjoyed it in that light. I would be interested in reading an annotated version, though, to be able to understand any hidden layers of meaning.
My Lord and my God.

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Sockpuppet on February 05, 2014, 02:02:35 PM

With the two exceptions of The Ottaviani Intervention and Sungenis' "Galileo Was Wrong"..... no. Not even the Bible.

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Larry

Too many Trads seem to take their cue from Protestant Fundamentalism, and not from authentic pre Vatican II Catholicism.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Der Kaiser

THis was dumb. Yes Tolkien took his ideas from Anglo/Saxon paganism and as I recall the Churches "transubstantiation idea" comes from Aristotle, a pagan. It is fantasy they are stories. There are good guys and bad guys whats the beef about. This article is "toolish"
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

Chestertonian

Quote from: The Harlequin King on February 05, 2014, 02:49:55 PM

With the two exceptions of The Ottaviani Intervention and Sungenis' "Galileo Was Wrong"..... no. Not even the Bible.

No way, can't read the Bible, that has talking animals in it.  Everyone knows animals can't talk.
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Arun

Quote from: Larry on February 05, 2014, 03:14:05 PM
Too many Trads seem to take their cue from Protestant Fundamentalism, and not from authentic pre Vatican II Catholicism.

yeah man i been saying that for years eh

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

LouisIX

Bingo.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

piabee

Why would you want to? They're boring as heck.

Bonaventure

Quote from: LouisIX on February 05, 2014, 05:53:06 PM

Bingo.

You can't do that. We've gotta dress like them, think television and music are Satanic like them, have weird, Jansenistic ideas about sex like them, and bunker up and prep like them.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

The Harlequin King

Quote from: piabee on February 05, 2014, 06:04:56 PM

Trollin'?

What would you rate as an exciting novel series?

dueSicilie

Quote from: Chestertonian on February 05, 2014, 03:56:40 PM
Quote from: The Harlequin King on February 05, 2014, 02:49:55 PM

No way, can't read the Bible, that has talking animals in it.  Everyone knows animals can't talk.

Are you suggesting that the Scriptures are wrong about those animal talking?

Sockpuppet

Quote from: piabee on February 05, 2014, 06:04:56 PM

When will your war against taste end?!