Instrument Tech

Started by james03, June 23, 2013, 06:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james03

I work with a young lad who did what I have been advising others to do.  He got his Instrument Tech associates degree from a Texas Techical school community college outside of Waco.  Cost???  $12,000 total for 2 years (in-State tuition). Incredibly cheap.  He confirmed it included PLC/Ladder logic.  He also said that when you apprentice during the summer, expect around $18/hr.  He went a third year and got his industrial electrician cert added on.  I'm guessing he's making around $60/hr, but that is not confirmed.  He's looking at buying a ranch.  He looks like he is younger than 30.  Give it some serious thought if you aren't going to college and want to support a big Catholic family. 
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

LouisIX

Does he work in a specialty field or something?  I can't imagine most instrument techs make that kind of money.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

james03

Oil and gas in the Bakken.  Instrument techs (we're talking about control valves, flow/pressure transmitters, PLCs) are in very short supply.  Instrument techs bill for about $100/hr.  PLC techs are billing at $180/hr.

However, I'll add he's now an Instrument/Electrical designer.  He did a few years on his tools.  Now he does the design work.  Designers make more money than field guys usually.

If you want to settle down and work on instruments at a local power plant, I'm guessing they are getting around $35/hr with benefits.  There's a lot more money on the road.

He's doing it right.  Piling up money now to buy a ranch, then he can settle down to something local.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"