Historical TV series

Started by martin88nyc, September 11, 2018, 02:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin88nyc

I just finished watching the last episode of Peaky Blinders. The show is full of violence and vengeance, pursuit of pleasure. It depicts the bleak reality of 1920's England.  I was hoping that some of the characters would have change of heart but unfortunately the brutal world of gangsters, corrupt organizations and officials is no place for redemption. I would like to watch something more uplifting and worthwhile. Any suggestions?
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Bernadette

I highly recommend the BBC productions of the Charles Dickens novels on Amazon. They're excellent.
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Philip G.

I enjoyed all of the various BBC farm series like "tales from the green valley", "edwardian farm", "victorian farm", and "tudor monastery farm".  I watched them all on youtube.

For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

MeanGene

I just recently watched the 2015 BBC mini-series "Wolf Hall" based on the novel of the same name. It follow the early career of Thomas Cromwell until the execution of Anne Boleyn. From the standpoint of directing, acting, casting, cinematography, musical score, and set design it is extremely well done. Mark Rylance and Damien Lewis are both great in their respective parts as Cromwell and Henry VIII. Clair Foy dominates nearly every scene she's in as Anne Boleyn. From a pop culture perspective Tom Holland, the reigning  Spiderman makes an appearance as Cromwell's son Gregory. It's six episodes are vastly superior to the very bloated and over the top "Tudors" series that ran on showtime back in 2007.

Unfortunately, in sticking closely to the source material the series also imparts the vehement anti-Catholicism of Wolf Hall's author Hilary Mantel. Thomas More's only purpose in the series seems to be to hammer home the point that the Catholic Church is evil and backwards. If you're a fan of "A Man for All Seasons" Wolf Hall will probably bother you a great deal. Luckily, I was prepared for it as I  knew about Mantel's prejudices from the start. She caused a stir a few years ago by asserting that the Catholic Church "was not an institution for respectable people."

I'm fairly immune to displays of anti-Catholicism, but still found myself very annoyed with the fact that Mantel and the series creators seemed very keen on pushing the idea that Wolf Hall is not only great storytelling, but great history. It isn't, and only someone with a cursory knowledge of the era would buy that claim. The series actually stands out as a work of characterization not history. Flaws aside, I enjoyed the show immensely and although I don't follow TV closely I highly doubt there was anything as well executed on the old "idiot box" back in 2015 when it originally aired.

The contemplative is not one who discovers secrets no one knows, but one who is swept into ecstasy by what everyone knows.
-A Carthusian

martin88nyc

Quote from: red solo cup on September 11, 2018, 02:07:27 PM
Ripper Street
Watched it last year. One of my favorites. It was so good I didnt want it to end.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

maryslittlegarden

The House of Eliot for anyone interested in 1920's Haute Couture
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace