Linux Users

Started by Mr.Crowley, December 09, 2013, 06:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Crowley

Any linux users on the forum? What distro do you use?

I've been using an Ubuntu based distro called Elementary OS. It's pretty new, fast, simple and has a heavy focus on design. It looks lovely. I started using it after Mint Debian edition got a major update and went pooey. Debian, specifically Mint Debian edition is my second favourite. It's the 'universal' operating system, so I guess you could kinda say it's the 'catholic' operating system  :laugh:

Running arch on a Raspberry Pi, too. It's been years since I've used Windows now. I got really frustrated in college when I had to use Windows, but got a bit used to it in the end, and it wasn't so bad.

Kaesekopf

I run Linux Mint on my years-old laptop. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

james

I use Debian Sid at both work and home.

I have a Windows 7 VM in case I have to do any Windows-specific tasks for work.

Gardener

Learning Ubuntu and have scant, frustrating experience with DSL (Damn Small Linux). Plan to learn Linux and Unix in the course of my studies.

For anyone wishing to learn Linux/Ubuntu, I highly recommend VMware or VirtualBox and a free download of Ubuntu to test it out before going full tilt.

VirtualBox is good stuff and I thoroughly enjoy its ability to test things before wrecking production systems.

Here's a tutorial for anyone not familiar with VirtualBox:

You'll need an ISO file of the Operating System of your choice and as far as free stuff, Ubuntu is good to go but be weary of downloading files not officially released (Windows randomly makes things available).

You can go with the minimums if you just want to learn the OS (the tutorial video has increased sizes of RAM and HD space), but if you will be using Virtualization for production, you might want to bump the RAM, HD size, etc. according to projected needs. Chances are if you are just wanting to mess around this is unnecessary and if you are going production you already know how to do this.

There seems to be a good number of people on here who can troubleshoot for anyone wanting to try this stuff without experience, so don't fear.

The cool thing about Virtualization is 1) you can snapshot before you try something new. If you mess it up just restore to a snapshot. Easy! 2) if you REALLY ding it up, just delete and start over. Easy!

Have fun.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

RobertJS

I use CentOS 6, but have used other distros. Ubuntu is really good, too. I like using the command-line. Baby, I was born to grep!

My CentOS is using VirtualBox which is really good also. I have Windows XP in a virtual box especially because I have a flatbed scanner that needs Windows. The sharing of the USB works well.

VirtualBox, made by Oracle, is free and really solid. I found it because as I was searching for virtualization, I finally realized that it is difficult to get virtualization if you have an older PC that is 32bit. Most virtualization insists on 64bit. I highly recommend VirtualBox.

If you are buying a new or used computer, make sure you get 64bit anyway. I also recommend getting away from Microsoft entirely, if you can. Feel free to PM me if you have any technical questions.

ideo mittit illis Deus operationem erroris ut credant mendacio

Aquila

I've played with Ubuntu on and off for a couple of years. I use a Wubi install, so the OS lives on a folder in the Windows C drive, rather then setting up a new partition. I am planning on moving away from it however due to privacy concerns over dash search. That being said, it's probably the easiest Linux OS to set up and use for true beginners. You don't need to know much about Linux or the command line to set it up and use it, and most people find the Unity interface easy to use (though I prefer Cinnamon and Gnome 2, personally).

My one tip: find out what a command line instruction does first, before running it!! Just because some random dude on a forum tells you to do something, doesn't mean he's right.

I am planning on uninstalling Ubuntu during Christmas break. I may end up going with Mint. I need to replace the HD in my Mom's desktop and I will be installing Mint 15 on it (goodbye, XP!). If that goes well and I like it, I may put in on a separate partition on my laptop.
Extra SSPX Nulla Salus.
Dogmatic Sedeplenist.

Cesar_Augustus

I have Ubuntu in my laptop.

Mr.Crowley

Well aren't we a bunch of groovy technological Catholics, eh? :thumbsup:

Gardener

Quote from: Mr.Crowley on December 12, 2013, 03:02:41 PM

I'm firmly of the belief a case for the faith can be soundly made in the technological processes, structures, etc., by drawing an analogical picture, but have yet to succeed in its fruition. For example: hierarchy found in Active Directory, permissions, etc. The necessity of physical topology to facilitate transmission of data (grace), etc.

We should think about this, as it would help share the faith with co-workers and unwashed laity.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Aquila

Quote from: Gardener on December 12, 2013, 03:33:16 PM

I'm firmly of the belief a case for the faith can be soundly made in the technological processes, structures, etc., by drawing an analogical picture, but have yet to succeed in its fruition. For example: hierarchy found in Active Directory, permissions, etc. The necessity of physical topology to facilitate transmission of data (grace), etc.

We should think about this, as it would help share the faith with co-workers and unwashed laity.

Interesting. Windows Vista is the theological representation of hell in this analogy, is it not?
Extra SSPX Nulla Salus.
Dogmatic Sedeplenist.

Gardener

Quote from: Aquila on December 12, 2013, 10:03:10 PM
Quote from: Gardener on December 12, 2013, 03:33:16 PM

Interesting. Windows Vista is the theological representation of hell in this analogy, is it not?

I'm thinking more along the lines of concepts which all work together more than specific programs unless that program helps the explanation. Perhaps Vista would be the Novus Ordo?

tradne4163

I did experiment with Slacko Puppy. which was designed for weaker machines, and can be set up to run entirely as a separate set up on a flash drive. In other words, it makes it possible to have an entire computer that is portable and can be used virtually on any commonly found machine.

However, I am unsure how to get filtering software that can work with it. so I must unhappily stick with Windows.
Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Take any post I write with a grain of salt. I've been wrong before, and can be again

james03

Ubuntu on my laptop, home computers, and office computer.  Fedora on my servers.  On my laptop and office machine, I have dual operating systems, however I never use Windows.  An older office computer is strictly Windows for CAD and Access due to a contract I had a while back.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Dextimus

Ubuntu 12.04 on all home machines
At work - unfortunately Wingroze 7 (corpo obligation)
Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests behave like priests, your bishops, like bishops, and your religious like religious. (Ven. Peter John Fulton Sheen)