What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hohenstaufen

Rereading Robert Fagles' glorious translation of the Iliad.

Arun

elephant song by wilbur smith. not as good so far as some of his other stuff i've read though

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Ancilla Domini

zork

Quote from: Ancilla Domini on December 13, 2013, 07:04:04 PM
Quote from: Hohenstaufen on December 11, 2013, 10:14:18 AM
Rereading Robert Fagles' glorious translation of the Iliad.

My favorite book of all time!  :)

Get out! It's also my favori-- Wait...sorry, that would be Through the Looking Glass.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

drummerboy

On Killing The psychological cost of learning to kill in war and society

by lt.col dave grossman

Its an interesting read, even if I've been reading it in little bits because of school.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Bernadette

Still Don Quixote, alternating with The Relations of St. Teresa of Avila (from Librivox).
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

ReadyJoan

The Brothers Karamazov and The Secret of the Rosary.

Michael Wilson

"Reality: A Synthesis of Thomistic Thought"; Reginald Garrigou-LaGrange. It has been a lot easier read than I anticipated. A couple of sections were difficult, especially when explaining the concept of "Person" as it applies to the three divine Persons in the Blessed Trinity. I would describe this book as a dummed-down resume of the Summa. Its not beyond the reach of an ordinary Catholic who doesn't have any formal training in philosophy (like me). I'm right now page 352; where the concept of "merit" is being explained. You should read this with a pen or pencil in hand to take notes for future reference.

"The Spiritual Doctrine of Fr. Louis Lallemant of The Company of Jesus" translated by Fr. Faber. A nice book on spirituality by the 17th Century Jesuit. Mostly aimed at the persons in the religious state; one can take some of the spiritual counsels and apply them to a person living in the secular state. An easy book to read for the average Catholic.
Fr. Antoni Royo Marin O.P. in his book "Teologia de la Perfeccion Cristiana";pg. 17;  describes this book in the following manner:
"A precious book, one of the best produced from this school (the Jesuit) of spirituality."

Finally: "Les Fins derniers de l'homme et du Monde"; "Le Peche". By Fr. Auguste-Alexis Goupil. S.J. Its in French; and out of print; I purchased my copy from "Abe books"; two studies in one book; one on the four last things and the end of the world; the second on Sin. Another good spritual book that is easy to read and understood by the average Catholic (if you read French, that is). Fr. tells us in the book that he will only explain what the Church holds on these subjects, and he will not advance any personal theory or introduce any speculation on these matters. So far (pg. 47) its very solid.

"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Maximilian

Quote from: Michael Wilson on December 25, 2013, 11:18:50 AM

"The Spiritual Doctrine of Fr. Louis Lallemant of The Company of Jesus" translated by Fr. Faber. A nice book on spirituality by the 17th Century Jesuit. Mostly aimed at the persons in the religious state; one can take some of the spiritual counsels and apply them to a person living in the secular state. An easy book to read for the average Catholic.

I'm reading that also (on-line)! Fr. Lallemant's "Novena to St. Joseph" is life changing. And it is especially awesome that it was brought to us by Fr. Faber, one of my all-time favorites.

Spooky

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Maximilian on December 26, 2013, 10:34:01 PM
Quote from: Michael Wilson on December 25, 2013, 11:18:50 AM

I'm reading that also (on-line)! Fr. Lallemant's "Novena to St. Joseph" is life changing. And it is especially awesome that it was brought to us by Fr. Faber, one of my all-time favorites.
Yes, I have never read anything by Fr. Faber, but I am very definitely going to have to add one of his books to my reading list; any recommendations, Max? (Hopefully nothing to do with Scotsmens wearing kilts, Har!).

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Pheo

Just finished Huxley's Brave New World.  What a depressing read (especially the ending).
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Pheo on December 29, 2013, 05:31:56 PM
Just finished Huxley's Brave New World.  What a depressing read (especially the ending).
Yes, very depressing. I also hated how Christianity is portrayed ei. Some small flagelant sect.

Pheo

Quote from: Michael Wilson on December 29, 2013, 06:15:03 PM
Quote from: Pheo on December 29, 2013, 05:31:56 PM

Yes, very depressing. I also hated how Christianity is portrayed ei. Some small flagelant sect.

I thought it was vindicated in the end (the long quote from Cardinal Newman was neat), but the part that bothered me most was how Christianity only ended up existing in a syncretist form.  Although to be fair, we find out about those independent islands at the end, so who knows what happens on them.

I liked John (the Savage) for most of his appearance.  He displayed self-mastery, virtue, and intelligence...until that strange ending.  It really seemed out of character.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.