What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basilios

Reading three books on the go at the moment (not because I'm a super brain; more likely because I have a super active brain that gets bored quickly).

Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky
I've never read any of his works but on recommendation I've just started reading it.

The Story of English by David Crystal
I've always had an interest in the history of the English language and out of all the books I've read this one is the absolute best!

Byzantium by some-or-other PhD
I like Byzantine history.
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

LouisIX

Quote from: Clare on October 31, 2013, 04:28:23 PM
I've just finished The End of the Present World and the Mysteries of the Future Life by Fr Arminjon, and raved about by St Therese of Lisieux.

I've been reading this as well.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Clare

Quote from: LouisIX on November 01, 2013, 01:51:15 PM
I've just finished The End of the Present World and the Mysteries of the Future Life by Fr Arminjon, and raved about by St Therese of Lisieux.

What do you think of it?
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Der Kaiser

Quote from: ConverteNosDeus on October 31, 2013, 01:21:53 PM
I just finished reading The Scarlet Letter for my English class and I really enjoyed it.

I really enjoyed this as well
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

LouisIX

Quote from: Clare on November 01, 2013, 02:16:47 PM

What do you think of it?

I think it's very good.  He helps to bring out a Catholic view of the End Times, but it's also a spiritual consideration.  It's not as systematic as a DuPont work on the subject, but it's very good for what it is.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Clare

Quote from: LouisIX on November 01, 2013, 07:49:50 PM
Quote from: Clare on November 01, 2013, 02:16:47 PM

What do you think of it?

I think it's very good.  He helps to bring out a Catholic view of the End Times, but it's also a spiritual consideration.  It's not as systematic as a DuPont work on the subject, but it's very good for what it is.

I wonder if you can help me, LouisIX. I finished the book a few days ago, and I never learn! Whenever I read books, I see interesting snippets, and I think, "I'll be able to find that again when I've finished." I never can!! I really ought to write notes in margins.

Anyhow, Fr Arminjon wrote surprisingly nice things about the fate of the unbaptised, and I can't find it now. I thought it would be near the end of the section on Hell, but it's not where I thought it was. If you know where it is, please give me the page number!

Thanks!
Motes 'n' Beams blog

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Clare

Quote from: Clare on November 02, 2013, 01:30:21 PM
I wonder if you can help me, LouisIX. I finished the book a few days ago, and I never learn! Whenever I read books, I see interesting snippets, and I think, "I'll be able to find that again when I've finished." I never can!! I really ought to write notes in margins.

Anyhow, Fr Arminjon wrote surprisingly nice things about the fate of the unbaptised, and I can't find it now. I thought it would be near the end of the section on Hell, but it's not where I thought it was. If you know where it is, please give me the page number!
Don't worry. I've found the text online and searched for the word "unbaptized", and I found it.

(This was what I was after: "These children who have died unbaptized will not be separated from God completely: they will be united to Him in the sense that they will attain their natural end, and will see God, as far as it is possible to see Him, through the medium of eternal beings, to the extent that He manifests Himself in the marvels and harmonies of creation.")

Motes 'n' Beams blog

LouisIX

Oh, now that is an interesting quotation.  I'm wondering if the context gives more clarity to the phrase "through the medium of eternal beings, to the extent that He manifests Himself in the marvels and harmonies of creation."

Clare

Quote from: LouisIX on November 02, 2013, 02:23:31 PM
Oh, now that is an interesting quotation.  I'm wondering if the context gives more clarity to the phrase "through the medium of eternal beings, to the extent that He manifests Himself in the marvels and harmonies of creation."
I think I'll start a thread about it!
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Cesar_Augustus

Iota Unum by Romano Amerio.

Various drawing books.

red solo cup

Just finished Warren Carroll's "The Last Crusade" about the Spanish Civil War. This was excellent reading. Well researched and he backed up statements with footnotes.
Almost every page was the martyrdom of laity, priests and even bishops by the Reds. In many cases he listed their names and circumstances surrounding their deaths.
I only had one complaint. 7/8ths of the book was devoted to 1936. '37 through '39 were rushed through in one chapter at the end. It would have been much better had
he spent the same amount of time on the last three years of the war as he did on the first imo.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

maryslittlegarden

Ivanhoe and heading to the library today to get some more books. :) :) :)
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

MilesChristi

Quote from: red solo cup on November 13, 2013, 09:01:21 AM
Just finished Warren Carroll's "The Last Crusade" about the Spanish Civil War. This was excellent reading. Well researched and he backed up statements with footnotes.
Almost every page was the martyrdom of laity, priests and even bishops by the Reds. In many cases he listed their names and circumstances surrounding their deaths.
I only had one complaint. 7/8ths of the book was devoted to 1936. '37 through '39 were rushed through in one chapter at the end. It would have been much better had
he spent the same amount of time on the last three years of the war as he did on the first imo.

I think the book is titled The Last Crusade:1936
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Bonaventure

Barchester Towers, by Anthony Trollope
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Pheo

Quote from: Bonaventure on November 14, 2013, 12:07:41 PM
Barchester Towers, by Anthony Trollope

Nice.  What did you think of The Warden?
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.