What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prayerful

Quote from: alicewyf on April 29, 2016, 11:52:35 PM
Quote from: red solo cup on April 29, 2016, 04:08:35 PM
I read that the author was a lesbian. Did she address that in her book?

I am not sure. I haven't read it yet. I think I might get it through my library so I'm not giving this lady money if I think she has questionable motives for writing the book. I don't know much about CMRI though, other than what I've read online. I don't like to read just one side of things, especially Catholic related issues. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a book about CMRI.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22798281-spiritual-blackmail

http://www.amazon.com/Spiritual-Blackmail-Journey-Through-Catholic-ebook/dp/B00KXL17XK

Reading of some reviews, it looks the sort of book that people hostile to Tradition read to buttress their view that it is hive of lunatics. Other reviews are more focussed in her experience in this book. Bishop Francis Schuckardt appears to have a notable part in the book, but he was ousted in 1984. Not a book I'd read.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Bernadette on May 02, 2016, 08:53:31 PM
Little Britches: Father and I Were Ranchers, by Ralph Moody. I absolutely love this book. :) Such a heartwarming, moral story.

You're not the first person I've heard this from.....I've been wanting to get this for our family library.

Clare

Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 22, 2016, 03:13:13 PM
Quote from: red solo cup on April 22, 2016, 05:29:30 AM
My Life With Thomas Aquinas by Carol Robinson. A series of essays from Integrity Magazine written from  1946 to 1956 on applying Aquinas to
modern problems. From Angelus Press. Very good and still quite relevant.

I have this book.

I need to read it.
I recommend it too. I read it a few years ago, and intend to read it again before long.

Meanwhile, I've just started on Nineteen Eighty-Four.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

red solo cup

Inside Out: A True Nun's Story by Sister Ann Edward O.P.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Elizabeth

Quote from: alicewyf on April 29, 2016, 02:31:21 PM
I'm afraid I might be opening a can of worms here, but has anyone read Spiritual Blackmail: My Journey Through A Catholic Cult by Sherri Schettler? Sounds interesting. About CMRI. Is there an alternate viewpoint available?

There used to be a forum of survivors from the bad old days of Schuckhardt...it used to be horrible there, but oddly, I couldn't help but think that their harsh penances had "payed off", because they were just lovely, really humble Catholics.  No ugliness of a type which infects some forums.   Reading that forum (and Sherri sounds like a member of it) really helped me in the time of doubt when we were in a rival of the CMRI cult.

I thought they had completely cleaned up their act.

I can't figure out how to download a free PDF copy. 

Fleur-de-Lys

I'm afraid I might be opening a can of worms here, but has anyone read Spiritual Blackmail: My Journey Through A Catholic Cult by Sherri Schettler? Sounds interesting. About CMRI. Is there an alternate viewpoint available?

Oh... This is concerning. My family is going to be moving soon, and the CMRI is one of our only options for the TLM. I don't know anything about them, but at first glance they looked very orthodox. Any information would be appreciated.

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on May 09, 2016, 03:38:33 PM

Oh... This is concerning. My family is going to be moving soon, and the CMRI is one of our only options for the TLM. I don't know anything about them, but at first glance they looked very orthodox. Any information would be appreciated.

I should probably start another thread rather than derail this one. Sorry!

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on May 09, 2016, 03:40:58 PM

From what I understand, CMRI purged the Schuckhardtian scourge pretty extensively.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: Kaesekopf on May 09, 2016, 03:42:16 PM
Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on May 09, 2016, 03:40:58 PM

From what I understand, CMRI purged the Schuckhardtian scourge pretty extensively.

So this is an isolated event that shouldn't be a problem elsewhere?

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on May 09, 2016, 03:48:00 PM

So this is an isolated event that shouldn't be a problem elsewhere?

As far as I know, yes.  But, I have never associated with CMRI folks, except for online. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Machaut1377

Been reading off and on (and currently reading) The Book of Sainte Foy, trans. Pamela Sheingorn.

Also, just finished reading Bodies Like Bright Stars: Saints and Relics in Orthodox Russia, by Robert H. Greene.

Bernadette

Around the World in 80 Days. First time. :)
My Lord and my God.

zork

Belgarath the Sorcerer by David Eddings (1995).

His books immediately preceding the one above were just awful, but a trad friend of mine recommended this anyway (while acknowledging the suckiness of Eddings' other books; with that in mind, I'm giving this one a chance.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

zork

The Dain Curse by Dashiell Hammett (1929)

I usually read two fiction books at once.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.