What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

red solo cup

Black Robe on the Kennebec by Mary Calvert. The life and death of Fr. Sebastien Rale. Born in Pontarlier, France, he joined the Jesuits and was sent to Quebec as a missionary to the Indians. First among the Huron, later the Illinois, he finally was assigned to the Abenakis in central Maine.
He produced the first written dictionary of the Abenaki language. He was martyred along with about a hundred Indian men, women and children by English raiders in 1724.
People were incredibly tough in those days to endure Canadian/Maine winters without modern clothing. Starvation was common and to fall into the hands of enemy tribes meant being slowly tortured to death or burned alive. Many Jesuits were canonized for dying this way for the faith.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bernadette

The Egg and I as an audiobook. Even better when read aloud.  :)
My Lord and my God.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: red solo cup on January 28, 2016, 05:52:54 AM
Black Robe on the Kennebec by Mary Calvert. The life and death of Fr. Sebastien Rale. Born in Pontarlier, France, he joined the Jesuits and was sent to Quebec as a missionary to the Indians. First among the Huron, later the Illinois, he finally was assigned to the Abenakis in central Maine.
He produced the first written dictionary of the Abenaki language. He was martyred along with about a hundred Indian men, women and children by English raiders in 1724.
People were incredibly tough in those days to endure Canadian/Maine winters without modern clothing. Starvation was common and to fall into the hands of enemy tribes meant being slowly tortured to death or burned alive. Many Jesuits were canonized for dying this way for the faith.

Sounds like an awesome book.

I still owe the Canadian Martyrs a pilgrimage to their shrine in Ontario. I promised them I would if we won gold in hockey during the 2010 Olympics. We did, so....

Their stories are really interesting and even though we're not "old world" like Europe it is nice to that our lands were "baptized", so to speak, with the blood of martyrs.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

red solo cup

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on January 28, 2016, 08:25:12 AM
Quote from: red solo cup on January 28, 2016, 05:52:54 AM

Sounds like an awesome book.

I still owe the Canadian Martyrs a pilgrimage to their shrine in Ontario. I promised them I would if we won gold in hockey during the 2010 Olympics. We did, so....

Their stories are really interesting and even though we're not "old world" like Europe it is nice to that our lands were "baptized", so to speak, with the blood of martyrs.
If it were me, that's a promise I wouldn't leave unfulfilled. Just saying.

LausTibiChriste

I wont. I take my promises seriously...especially to Saints. But I dont get to Ontario often

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Pheo

Beautiful grounds at Martyrs' Shrine, but it's run by Jesuits so Mass there is...really Jesuit-y.  It's neat to see the relics of the martyrs though.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Bernadette

My Childhood, by Maxim Gorky. So sad.
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

Just finished "One Second After" by  William R. Forstchen.

It's about an EMP attack against the United States. It takes place in North Carolina. Out of 5 stars, I'd give it a 3.5. The dialog between the men and women is hokey and it gets pretty preachy.

But as a prepper study guide, it's full of good ideas. If we ever had an EMP attack launched against us, though, I'd want to go quickly. This was a depressing book.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Gardener

Quote from: Lynne on February 03, 2016, 01:16:50 PM
Just finished "One Second After" by  William R. Forstchen.

It's about an EMP attack against the United States. It takes place in North Carolina. Out of 5 stars, I'd give it a 3.5. The dialog between the men and women is hokey and it gets pretty preachy.

But as a prepper study guide, it's full of good ideas. If we ever had an EMP attack launched against us, though, I'd want to go quickly. This was a depressing book.

I wasn't very impressed with the writing either. I thought James Wesley Rawles did a better job with his series, and much more info.

OSA had real potential, and there were great moments that showed it off, but the author just wasn't up to the challenge.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

zork

The Wheel of Time - Book VI: Lord of Chaos (1994) by Robert Jordan
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

red solo cup

The latest from Anthony Beevor, Ardennes 1944: The Battle of the Bulge. All of Beevor's stuff is wonderful to read. An anecdote; Early in the winter
of '44 ,the relentless rains made tank movement nearly impossible. Patton called up the Third Army chaplain, James O'Neill and asked him for a prayer beseeching God to end the rains and grant them victory. O'Neill provided one and Patten had 250,000 copies printed and distributed to his men. The rains ended and Patton awarded O'Neill a Bronze Star for his effort. Can you imagine an American general doing that nowadays?

Jacob

Quote from: red solo cup on February 08, 2016, 06:14:28 AM
Early in the winter of '44 ,the relentless rains made tank movement nearly impossible. Patton called up the Third Army chaplain, James O'Neill and asked him for a prayer beseeching God to end the rains and grant them victory. O'Neill provided one and Patten had 250,000 copies printed and distributed to his men. The rains ended and Patton awarded O'Neill a Bronze Star for his effort.

This is fictionalized in the movie Patton and tied in to the relief of Bastogne where the chaplain is asked for the "weather prayer" because Third Army needed air cover to make it time to save 101st Airborne.  It's a very moving sequence as Patton reads the prayer in a voice-over while soldiers fight and die soundlessly.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

piabee

How to Be Parisian Wherever You Are

LausTibiChriste

- MaximGun