What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MilesChristi

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on June 15, 2015, 08:18:31 PM
Quote from: MundaCorMeum on June 15, 2015, 08:14:31 PM
Quote from: OCLittleFlower on June 15, 2015, 07:06:29 PM

It's set in the same world as the musical Brigadoon.

Any good?  I need a summer novel.

Decent if you like young adult books.  The main character's friend is a little annoying (though I hear she's better in book two).

The world in the books is more modern than in the movies -- they have taken new technology, food, etc, every 100 years.  So they have sushi and pizza but live in castles.  It's fantasy, that's for sure, and a bit of wish fulfillment.  :p

Pizza must suck in this mythical world...
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: MilesChristi on June 26, 2015, 03:34:58 PM

Decent if you like young adult books.  The main character's friend is a little annoying (though I hear she's better in book two).

The world in the books is more modern than in the movies -- they have taken new technology, food, etc, every 100 years.  So they have sushi and pizza but live in castles.  It's fantasy, that's for sure, and a bit of wish fulfillment.  :p

Wonder if Domino's delivers?
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

MilesChristi

It's like my friend used to say...at least it's not papa johns

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: MilesChristi on June 26, 2015, 03:34:58 PM

The main characters seem to think it tastes good -- then again, brick oven pizza really is the way to go, and without electricity that's what they've got.  *shrug*

The modern/Western-style Sushi got more of a side-eye from me than the pizza.  :)
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

LausTibiChriste

Hold On to Your Kids

I have no kids but thought it'd be an interesting read regardless.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on June 27, 2015, 11:07:13 AM
Hold On to Your Kids

I've read this book.  I thought it was a very good book.

I should clarify...overall I though it was very good.  The authors aren't Catholic, and so I didn't agree with everything in there.  But, it an was interesting read

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on June 28, 2015, 08:39:54 AM
Hold On to Your Kids

I should clarify...overall I though it was very good.  The authors aren't Catholic, and so I didn't agree with everything in there.  But, it an was interesting read

Thanks Munda. What did you agree with? What didn't you agree with? I vaguely remember being recommended it on a Catholic site, but can't remember which one.

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on June 28, 2015, 09:01:00 AM
Quote from: MundaCorMeum on June 28, 2015, 08:39:54 AM
Hold On to Your Kids

Thanks Munda. What did you agree with? What didn't you agree with? I vaguely remember being recommended it on a Catholic site, but can't remember which one.

I agreed with the fact that part of the problem with today's society, especially youth, is that we are far too peer oriented.  It fosters a lack of due respect for proper authority. 

I remember the author saying that if parents teach proper order with their children, with respect to adults and peers, then children will automatically want to please thier parents and not want to disappoint them.  So,  they neglect to take into account the effect of original sin, even on children.  I think he also only agrees with positive reinforcemt with kids, and no punishment.  Personally, I disagree with that.  Kids need to learn that bad  choices = bad consequences and good choices = good consequences.

LausTibiChriste

Interesting...thanks Munda. I only got through the first chapter, but I look forward to the rest  8)

- MaximGun

Chestertonian

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on June 28, 2015, 09:23:43 AM

I remember the author saying that if parents teach proper order with their children, with respect to adults and peers, then children will automatically want to please thier parents and not want to disappoint them.  So,  they neglect to take into account the effect of original sin, even on children.  I think he also only agrees with positive reinforcemt with kids, and no punishment.  Personally, I disagree with that.  Kids need to learn that bad  choices = bad consequences and good choices = good consequences.

that is going to be the pitfall of any secular book

i liked the book as well.. it matched a lot of my own observations. 

as for reinforcent and original sin, i think that being a model of respect by respecting young people goes a long way in preventing transgressions in the first place, hence st don bosco's preventive system

Quote:  "There are two systems for educating the young that have been used throughout time – preventive and repressive. The repressive system consists of making the subjects learn the law, then watching them to find the transgressors and inflicting the merited punishment wherever necessary...

Different and, I would say opposite, is the preventive system. This consists of making the regulations of an institute be known and then watching the pupils in such a way that they always have over them the attentive eye of the headmaster and his assistants. They, like loving fathers, talk and guide them through every event, giving advice and lovingly correcting them. This is like saying: put the pupils in the position of being unable to commit errors. This system is based on Reason, Religion and, above all, Love; it therefore rejects any form of violent punishment and tries to distance itself from the same thoughtless punishment. It would seem that this is preferable..."

negative reinforcement may still be necessary but at don bosco outlines a lot of guidelines for correction and discipline that are respectful

http://salesians.org.au/resources/doc_download/34-the-preventive-system-in-the-education-of-the-young
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

MilesChristi

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Clare

Just about to read C S Lewis's Cosmic Trilogy again, which I first read last year.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

LausTibiChriste

- MaximGun