Liars and the schmucks who believe them

Started by Kreuzritter, March 30, 2020, 05:09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne

Quote from: awkwardcustomer on April 02, 2020, 01:33:08 PM
Quote from: Miriam_M on April 02, 2020, 12:32:27 PM
Quote from: awkwardcustomer on April 02, 2020, 09:43:46 AM

Meanwhile, on the back of this massive psyop, comes the digital tracking.

I learned a few days ago that in my area we are all being tracked by our cell phones because there were listings, by county, of what percentage of us were leaving our residences.  (But that includes for all activity, including essential.)  Overall, a little over half are leaving our homes occasionally.

So, forget "privacy."  Mobile carriers are supplying this information publicly, because otherwise the press could not have picked it up.  It could hardly be top secret.

So now your movements are being monitored.

We know it's always been possible to track cell phones.  The police have made no secret of this and have used cell phone data to determine the movements of criminals and terrorists. But now the tracking is widespread and being used to monitor the movements of citizens under lockdown.

And the app will allow the tracking of people you are in contact with, presumably if they also have the app.  It might be an idea to leave your phone at home occasionally when you go out, to break up your movements.  And pay by cash, since you can be tracked through digital payments, if you can find a store that still takes cash, that is.

See, I'm already starting to think like someone under lockdown, as are others.  Having more than one phone has also been suggested.

I think(?), you can't be tracked if you turn your phone off. I know many people hate to leave their house without a phone in case they need it for an emergency. That's a great idea about using cash.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Kreuzritter

Quote from: Lynne on April 04, 2020, 04:49:11 AM

I learned a few days ago that in my area we are all being tracked by our cell phones because there were listings, by county, of what percentage of us were leaving our residences.  (But that includes for all activity, including essential.)  Overall, a little over half are leaving our homes occasionally.

So, forget "privacy."  Mobile carriers are supplying this information publicly, because otherwise the press could not have picked it up.  It could hardly be top secret.

We know it's always been possible to track cell phones.  The police have made no secret of this and have used cell phone data to determine the movements of criminals and terrorists. But now the tracking is widespread and being used to monitor the movements of citizens under lockdown.

And the app will allow the tracking of people you are in contact with, presumably if they also have the app.  It might be an idea to leave your phone at home occasionally when you go out, to break up your movements.  And pay by cash, since you can be tracked through digital payments, if you can find a store that still takes cash, that is.

See, I'm already starting to think like someone under lockdown, as are others.  Having more than one phone has also been suggested.

I think(?), you can't be tracked if you turn your phone off. I know many people hate to leave their house without a phone in case they need it for an emergency. That's a great idea about using cash.

If you pull the battery out. Maybe. So good luck with an iPhone. Or just keep it in a Faraday pouch that blocks electromagnetic waves.

diaduit

Quote from: Kreuzritter on April 04, 2020, 06:16:00 AM

If you pull the battery out. Maybe. So good luck with an iPhone. Or just keep it in a Faraday pouch that blocks electromagnetic waves.

do they really work?

awkwardcustomer

I'm only repeating what others have said but turning your phone off isn't enough to stop the tracking.  Even when the phone is switched off the battery will still be active because it stores energy so that it can turn your phone on again.

The battery has to be removed, which is impossible with a smartphone, and even a phone that isn't smart can be tracked using triangulation (?) from cell phone masts, so removing the battery doesn't solve the problem.  The only solution, really, is to leave your phone at home.    Unfortunately, using cell phones to keep in ready contact with others also allows them to be tracked.

I don't know about Faraday pouches for phones other than that a curious police officer is bound to ask why you have one.

Paranoia setting in .....
And formerly the heretics were manifest; but now the Church is filled with heretics in disguise.  
St Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lecture 15, para 9.

And what rough beast, it's hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
WB Yeats, 'The Second Coming'.

Miriam_M

In the Liars and Schmucks department:

Important to understand that it's not just the national media engaging in hyperbole and outright misinformation/ disinformation, but their local friends as well. An example of my region is governor and city leaders continuing to pretend that alarm abounds, when in fact two of our counties -- the very ones with supposedly "epicenter" reputations -- have recorded drops in cases in the last 24 hours and are now in fact in the safe zone, as registered by the NYT.

This is why I keep telling people that no matter how many hysterical statistics get thrown around, look at your own counties, because you are probably doing little or no travel outside of your own county.  If your destination is local, and if your destination has already experienced and is maintaining a downward trend -- especially if showing No New Cases according to the bar graph-- then acting terrified is unnecessary.

Worldwide statistics, reported as a conglomerate, are MEANINGLESS.  Even if you were a world traveler right now, as part of your occupation, the numbers that matter are the two locations, departure and destination, affecting you personally -- particularly over the last week to 2 weeks.

Even "a region as a whole" is meaningless unless you are traveling to every location in that region, and I doubt you are.

So stats are bad in Spain right now.  Are you traveling to Spain in the foreseeable future?  And if not, is your area accepting Spanish immigrants or Spanish travelers right now -- say, from a cruise line or from legal immigration?  If not, you have no reason to panic and "stay in place."

Exercising hygiene and other contact precautions, and limiting but not eliminating every mile of travel, is all you need do.