Neo-Con Priest - We can reasonably hope that all men are saved, no one in Hell

Started by Bonaventure, December 29, 2012, 01:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmsa0sg4Od4[/yt]

According to him, we should side with Hans Urs von Balthasar over Sts. Augustine and Thomas Aquinas, two of the greatest saints, theologians, and doctors of the Church.

We can reasonably hope that all men are saved!

We don't know if anyone is in Hell!

"It's a universalism if you want...a theologically grounded, reasonable hope that all will be saved."
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Et_cum_spiri220

A trad priest once told me that Aquinas can be used as a litmus test to see how Orthodox a person is. He said when he talked to fellow clergy members he wasn't familiar with and wanted to quickly detect modernists he would observe their reaction to Aquinas. The more they liked and agreed with St. Thomas the lower the chance of them being modernists. The ones that dodged the questions or disagreed were usually heretics.

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

poche

Alphonso de Ligouri said that those who don't believe in Hell are those who are most in danger of going there.

tmw89

Quote from: Bonaventure on December 29, 2012, 01:22:52 AM
I agree with him. No one merely "dislikes" St. Thomas.

Least of all someone who was supposed to study him for years before receiving an imprint on their very soul.

Quote from: poche on December 29, 2012, 01:37:51 AM
Alphonso de Ligouri said that those who don't believe in Hell are those who are most in danger of going there.

QFT
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Vetus Ordo

If "all men" would be saved, the very notion of election would be absurd.

Fr. Barron should pay attention to the Scriptures, instead of his own theological fancies.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Bonaventure

Quote from: Evangelium Gratiæ on December 29, 2012, 01:59:26 AM

Fr. Barron should pay attention to the Scriptures, instead of his own theological fancies.

To his defense, he does not say that all men are saved or will be saved, but that we can reasonably hope so and that we do not know if anyone is in Hell.

His statements, as they stand, are problematic.

tmw89

Quote from: Bonaventure on December 29, 2012, 02:10:18 AM

To his defense, he does not say that all men are saved or will be saved, but that we can reasonably hope so and that we do not know if anyone is in Hell.

His statements, as they stand, are problematic.

His statements are absurd and erroneous, likely heretical - we can deduce with certainty that AT THE VERY LEAST Judas is in Hell, and I'm relatively sure the Church has taught such (which is covered by Ordinary and Universal Magisterium.)
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

poche

Quote from: Bonaventure on December 29, 2012, 02:10:18 AM

There is enough private revelation to disprove what that idea.

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: Bonaventure on December 29, 2012, 01:04:04 AM
According to him, we should side with Hans Urs von Balthasar over Sts. Augustine and Thomas Aquinas, two of the greatest saints, theologians, and doctors of the Church.

Haven't you heard?  Von Balthasar is the St. Thomas Aquinas of the nouveau régime.  They're probably looking to canonize him right after JPII.  Then they'll bestow the title Doctor Nebulosus upon him.   ;D
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

Bonaventure

Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on December 29, 2012, 12:43:02 PM
Quote from: Bonaventure on December 29, 2012, 01:04:04 AM

Haven't you heard?  Von Balthasar is the St. Thomas Aquinas of the nouveau régime.  They're probably looking to canonize him right after JPII.  Then they'll bestow the title Doctor Nebulosus upon him.   ;D

This is another laugh or cry moment.

Mr. Mysterious

Obviously Father Barron never read the Epistle of St. Jude:

"As Sodom and Gomorrha and the neighboring cities, in like manner, and going after other flesh, were made an example, suffering the punishment of eternal fire." Jude 1:7
"Take courage! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Mithrandylan

Quote from: The Punisher on December 29, 2012, 10:29:11 PM
Obviously Father Barron never read the Epistle of St. Jude:

"As Sodom and Gomorrha and the neighboring cities, in like manner, and going after other flesh, were made an example, suffering the punishment of eternal fire." Jude 1:7

Yea but this is referring to the cities, not necessarily the people who were in them.

#reasonablehope
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

Bonaventure

As long as one believes in a male, celibate priesthood, the indissolubility of marriage, the horror of abortion, and the fact that marriage is between a man and a woman, they are a conservative. Tack on smells and bells, incense, nice vestments, and antiquated English, and they're "traditional."

Look at what he has to say on religious liberty.

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: Bonaventure on December 29, 2012, 10:54:39 PM
Look at what he has to say on religious liberty.

You mean after he gets through five minutes of "LOOK AT ALL THE PLACES I'VE BEEN TO AND HOW IMPORTANT I AM"?

Oh, and "there's plenty of blame to go around in this bloody persecution."  Huh???  Shame on Mary for trying to restore the true Faith to England!   >:(

Anyway, "JPII said that religious liberty is the most fundamental of the rights that we have."  There you have it.  Verbum Domini, y'all.

Does it not occur to any of these people that perhaps adopting Enlightenment secularist rights discourse is part of the problem in the first place?  (No, of course it doesn't because that's the whole idea.  Rhetorical question.)
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--