Recent posts

Quote from: Aethel on June 11, 2024, 09:52:12 PM
Quote from: Melkite on June 11, 2024, 07:04:14 PM
Quote from: Aethel on June 11, 2024, 12:59:23 PMThey already did via the Chiati and Alexandria documents.

Documents approved by the Vatican which claim that the Papacy did not exercise canonical jurisdiction over the Eastern Churches in the First Millenium.

Well, for the most part, that's true.  There's a difference between having jurisdiction and exercising it.  The one does not require the other.

I personally don't understand this reading of history. I think if you want to go with the Catholic perspective, it makes more sense to go with the interpretation that Rome always had this jurisdiction and tried to exercise it repeatedly (for instance, the Irenean Jewish calendar controversy, Chalcedon, the fact that Rome had to personally confirm every Ecumenical Council and the Byzantine Emperor, etc.), but due to decentralization, politics, and doctrinal ambiguity, not all the Churches obeyed Rome.

To claim that for 800 years Rome had this secret power that it never used when, for centuries, heretics were killing each other for heresy and martyring true believers and still never felt the need to use it, but then decided to pull it out of nowhere to excommunicate Constantinople, is absurd.

That would be like if Biden came out today and decided to abolish the Two Houses of Congress and said "Hey guys, it turns out that we have a lost part of the Constitution written by James Madison and the President can abolish the Congress".

Oh, you misread me, or I spoke poorly.  Rome certainly attempted to use it.  It's hard to deny that Rome believed it had that authority early on and tried to enforce it at times.  But most of the other churches rejected the claims, or at varying points for mostly political reasons, went along with it when it suited them.

But what I mean is, granting that authority to the Pope does not mean it is in his or the Church's best interests to use it.  The authority is necessary; otherwise, we'd be in the same mess as the Orthodox, where one patriarch can tell another to pound sand, and no one can do anything about it.  But it's also extremely imprudent that the pope, having that authority, should wield it in anything other than the gravest circumstances where church unity is at stake.

Does the pope have the authority to be an ecclesial micromanager?  Yes, he does.  Is it a good idea for him to be a micromanager?  Almost never.
Family Life / Re: Good tip on washing machin...
Last post by Greg - Today at 08:29:35 AM
You still have top loaders in the USA but Europe and the UK have front loaders.
Quote from: Melkite on Today at 07:10:47 AMNo, it's utter nonsense to say that Orthodoxy is a man-made religion.  Man-made schism, yes.  But the faith is fully Catholic, with the exception of a few anti-Roman accretions.  Orthodoxy is simply schismatic Catholicism.  It's legal state is no different than sedevacantists or Catholics in communion with Rome de jure, but de facto schismatic by picking and choosing which papal commands they will obey and which they won't.

Patently untrue.

They're not just schismatics.  They're also heretics.  Like protestants but with valid sacraments (which, as we have established in this thread, do not represent evidence in favor of their status.)
Quote from: LausTibiChriste on Today at 07:35:03 AMCan't say much other than those very high up the ladder talk about it, know it and believe it

Are you able to say what they think about the part where they will be converted to the Church?  As anti-Roman as many Russian Orthodox are, it's surprising to me that they would give Fatima credence with that in it, without at least being open to the possibility of entering communion with a papal supremacist Rome.
Quote from: Melkite on Today at 07:01:10 AM
Quote from: LausTibiChriste on June 09, 2024, 10:16:29 AMNot true. On the contrary, I know for a fact that the Fatima apparitions are talked about in the highest levels here and are taken very seriously. I won't tell you how I know that, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

What details are you willing to share?  I'm really interested to know what Russians think of Fatima.

Can't say much other than those very high up the ladder talk about it, know it and believe it
Quote from: Michael Wilson on June 09, 2024, 03:49:48 PMThis is utter nonsense; its incredible that trad Catholics can post such nonsense. The difference between Catholicism and non is the difference between the one true faith founded by Our Lord Himself and a man made religion.
"I believe in One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church"; Orthodoxy is not "it"; its that simple.

No, it's utter nonsense to say that Orthodoxy is a man-made religion.  Man-made schism, yes.  But the faith is fully Catholic, with the exception of a few anti-Roman accretions.  Orthodoxy is simply schismatic Catholicism.  It's legal state is no different than sedevacantists or Catholics in communion with Rome de jure, but de facto schismatic by picking and choosing which papal commands they will obey and which they won't.
Quote from: LausTibiChriste on June 09, 2024, 10:16:29 AMNot true. On the contrary, I know for a fact that the Fatima apparitions are talked about in the highest levels here and are taken very seriously. I won't tell you how I know that, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

What details are you willing to share?  I'm really interested to know what Russians think of Fatima.
Last post by The Curt Jester - Today at 06:33:22 AM
I purchase used ones for a low price and repair them when I can.  Since they are old ones, they are generally simple to repair and have fewer issues.  My previous one had a broken transmission and wasn't worth the price of fixing it (or the time to search for a new one) so I purchased another ancient machine which works well enough. 
Last post by Greg - Today at 05:29:32 AM
I use citric acid crystals to purge the machine.  About 2/3rd of a cup of them.

Sometimes I use soda crystals.

I always put the powder into the drum and use about 1/2 the amount they recommend.
Last post by Greg - Today at 05:27:05 AM
We have a Bosch with a 9kg drum and 1400 spin.  It's not good to put the full 9kg into those machines as for 1 they don't wash correctly and secondly it is more wear on the drum.  Typicall wash is probably 80% to 90% full.

9 people in the house, so that is double a typical British household.  So hardly surprising it would die after 6 years (first breakdown).  10 years ago I replaced a main bearing on a Bosch, (a full day of work to do that), but it only lasted another 18 months.

Everyday socks and underwear are washed.  Bed sheets, slumberdown covers and pillows are washed every 7 to 10 days.  Kids clothes at the weekend get muddy.  School uniforms washed weekly.   Tea-towels we use 2 or 3 per day,  hand towels, bath towels, etc etc.