What is the best Christmas Mass?

Started by Greg, December 23, 2023, 02:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

A few years ago Fr. Andrew Southwell used to do a Mozart Coronation Mass at St. Bedes with a professional choir.

This year there is one at Brompton Oratory.  Anyone got a better mass to go to at Christmas in terms of the singing?

I'm taking the entire family tomorrow evening up to Knightsbridge.  We won't be in bed till past 3am but worth it I think.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

awkward customer

There's no choir like the Brompton Oratory choir.

I think there's something a bit special about the Brompton Oratory.  Somehow they've managed to remain Catholic.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: awkward customer on December 23, 2023, 04:35:48 PMThere's no choir like the Brompton Oratory choir.

I think there's something a bit special about the Brompton Oratory.  Somehow they've managed to remain Catholic.

Brompton Oratory is my favourite Church in the world...and I've been to 80+ countries

There's something special about that place. I went to Low Mass every morning for 2 weeks straight years ago and I'm still mad at God for not taking me then as it was the pinnacle of my spiritual life. It's as if I dipped my toe in Heaven for a brief moment.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Greg

Is it their choir?  I am not sure.  Will ask tonight.

I know Father Southwell used to pay at St. Bedes
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

awkward customer

Quote from: Greg on December 23, 2023, 09:14:13 PMIs it their choir?  I am not sure.  Will ask tonight.

Yes, it is their choir. 

https://www.bromptonoratory.co.uk/the-oratory-choirs

awkward customer

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on December 23, 2023, 04:41:25 PMBrompton Oratory is my favourite Church in the world...and I've been to 80+ countries

There's something special about that place. I went to Low Mass every morning for 2 weeks straight years ago and I'm still mad at God for not taking me then as it was the pinnacle of my spiritual life. It's as if I dipped my toe in Heaven for a brief moment.

Goodness ...  sounds similar to my own experience of the Traditional Low Mass at the Oratory, only mine was at private TLMs said by a wonderful priest 6 days a week at 5.30pm.  I attended every Sunday and several times a week for some years until Covid. I can't remember Fr Anthony's surname but he disappeared to a monastery in France, sadly.

It was definitely a foretaste of Heaven and I've never experienced such peace at a TLM since.

awkward customer

The Brompton Oratory is actually the London Oratory, Brompton Road, in case of confusion.

Note the absence of an NO altar.  There's no 'Mass facing the people' at the Oratory.

Greg

Quote from: awkward customer on December 24, 2023, 04:16:18 AM
Quote from: Greg on December 23, 2023, 09:14:13 PMIs it their choir?  I am not sure.  Will ask tonight.

Yes, it is their choir. 

https://www.bromptonoratory.co.uk/the-oratory-choirs

I did not know they were that professional.  Looking forward to tonight.  Going to get there early to queue for a whole new for 9 people

Greg

Mass was great.  Driving through sadiq Khan's London deserves a plenary indulgence.  One in bound and one more for the return journey

Greg

Greg

For anyone attending next year, you need to be in the queue by 10:45am to guarantee a pew in the best pews at the front.  Standing room only this year.  They open the doors at 11.15 for carols at 11:30.  The choir sing half of the carols and the choir plus laity on the other half.  Their choir is fantastically good.

We were there 25 mins early and got the last pew of the from block (so were just under the choir loft), fortunate as it turned out.

I spoke to people attending and many were non-Catholics or Christmas and Easter Catholics in London for tourism.  The good news is that they did stay for mass and did not leave after the carol service.

awkward customer

Quote from: Greg on December 29, 2023, 06:57:49 AMTheir choir is fantastically good.

The Oratory also has a school and their choir, or Schola, sang on the soundtrack of the Lord of the Rings films.

I don't know how they do it.

PS.  What issues, from your quote above, did you have driving through London? 

The Curt Jester

I have had the pleasure of meeting (and singing under) Charles Cole, who is a part of the Oratory.  The guy is a wealth of knowledge and excellent teacher.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Greg

Too many traffic lights, 24 hour bus lanes, 20 mph zones, no right turns, one way systems, traffic and pedestrians walking straight out into the road half of whom are black people dressed in black and near impossible to see in the dark.  London was hard to drive in in the 1990s.  It's hell now.

awkward customer

Quote from: Greg on December 29, 2023, 05:03:24 PMToo many traffic lights, 24 hour bus lanes, 20 mph zones, no right turns, one way systems, traffic and pedestrians walking straight out into the road half of whom are black people dressed in black and near impossible to see in the dark.  London was hard to drive in in the 1990s.  It's hell now.

Yes, all that annoying stuff.  Sorry about that.