Is it worth buying the Monastic Diurnal???

Started by XmenaceP, October 08, 2017, 11:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XmenaceP

Hey everyone! I am planning to buy the Monastic Diurnal (this one https://www.amazon.com/Monastic-Diurnal-Hours-Breviary-English/dp/090707765X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507526969&sr=8-1&keywords=monastic+diurnal) I currently pray the Divine Office at the website (which I'm sure you are all familiar with) diviniumofficium. I like physical books, especially if I'm using it to pray. I don't want to depend on a device or the internet to pray the Divine Office. I have checked out the Saints Will Arise blog for more information about the Monastic Diurnal however, my problem is that it seems that I would still have to consult the internet to be able to pray the Divine Office properly as Kate states in one of here posts, "Secondly, note that you still need to consult the Ordo for the relevant month." The guides on the website are very useful and I'm planning to print them out but that's it. I don't want to depend on a website, otherwise it would be better to continue what I'm doing. So my questions are, can I pray the Monastic Diurnal without having to consult the internet? Does anyone here pray the Monastic Diurnal? Is there like a "complete guide" for the Monastic Diurnal?

Laudetur Jesus Christus!

Lynne

The FSSP ordo is on sale right now for under $10.00

http://www.fraternitypublications.com/20liorfsdi.html

ETA: I just noticed, it's out of stock.  :(
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

XmenaceP

Aw that's a bummer. I could buy the one for 2018. So does that have the necessary info so I don't have to depend on the web? Would I have to buy one every year?

aquinas138

The FSSP Ordo will be of limited help with the Monastic Diurnal – the feasts might coincide, but the structure of the Offices is different. Following the 1960 calendar, you can absolutely use the Diurnal without an Ordo, but you might need to consult the website until you master the rubrics. It takes work, but it's worth it. I recommend sitting down and typing up and printing out a small personal Ordo; when I used to pray the Divino Afflatu office, I printed out what the commemorations were for a few weeks in advance so I didn't find myself wondering what order to do the commemorations at Vespers in the middle of my prayer. The rubrics in the 1963 edition of the Monastic use are much simpler than Divino Afflatu, so I don't think you'll have a hard time if you take a little time to learn. Matins is always the hardest anyways, and you won't have to worry about that with a Diurnal.

There is an annual Ordo, but honestly for the simplified rubrics after 1960, it is hardly necessary for the Office. Ordos are more useful for priests as reminders for when certain votives are permitted, or if the diocese or other body the priest is subject to has certain obligatory observances in addition to the Mass on the calendar, such as Masses for the anniversary of the bishop's ordination, etc. Most of those additional commemorations are not observed in the Office at all.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

Kaesekopf

Don't spend the money on the FSSP ordo if you can avoid it.  You can get liturgical calendars for free online, and like aquinas said, they're mostly useful for when you're bound to follow certain things.

Why do you want the Monastic Diurnal in particular and not something Roman? 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Lynne

Quote from: aquinas138 on October 09, 2017, 10:31:27 PM
The FSSP Ordo will be of limited help with the Monastic Diurnal – the feasts might coincide, but the structure of the Offices is different. Following the 1960 calendar, you can absolutely use the Diurnal without an Ordo, but you might need to consult the website until you master the rubrics. It takes work, but it's worth it. I recommend sitting down and typing up and printing out a small personal Ordo; when I used to pray the Divino Afflatu office, I printed out what the commemorations were for a few weeks in advance so I didn't find myself wondering what order to do the commemorations at Vespers in the middle of my prayer. The rubrics in the 1963 edition of the Monastic use are much simpler than Divino Afflatu, so I don't think you'll have a hard time if you take a little time to learn. Matins is always the hardest anyways, and you won't have to worry about that with a Diurnal.

There is an annual Ordo, but honestly for the simplified rubrics after 1960, it is hardly necessary for the Office. Ordos are more useful for priests as reminders for when certain votives are permitted, or if the diocese or other body the priest is subject to has certain obligatory observances in addition to the Mass on the calendar, such as Masses for the anniversary of the bishop's ordination, etc. Most of those additional commemorations are not observed in the Office at all.

Thank you for the clarifications!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

aquinas138

Quote from: Kaesekopf on October 09, 2017, 10:39:44 PM
Don't spend the money on the FSSP ordo if you can avoid it.  You can get liturgical calendars for free online, and like aquinas said, they're mostly useful for when you're bound to follow certain things.

Why do you want the Monastic Diurnal in particular and not something Roman?

Probably because there isn't an easily-available Roman Diurnal, alas. It seems like there would be a bit of a market for it, for people who are unlikely to pray daily Matins and/or can't shell out $300+ for a breviary set.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

Kaesekopf

Lulu breviary tho?

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

XmenaceP

Thank you all for the responses! I looked around this forum and found two attachments on the Monastic Diurnal which will very helpful (I should have done that before asking this question lol). The reason for wanting the Monastic Diurnal is partly what aquinas138 said but more because I consider the monastic tradition to be my life, specifically the carmelite tradition (ancient observance). I was discerning with a group of the Third Order of St. Francis (which live as close as one can to the Rule of 1221) but I kept being drawn to St. Benedict, St. Basil, St. Augustine, St. Gregory the Great, St John Cassian, St. John Climacus, the Desert Fathers, Smaragdus of Saint-Mihiel, other Medieval monks, St John of the Cross, St Teresa of Avila, Fr. Jeronimo Gracian, etc. When I met Fr. Cassian Folsom and Fr. Benedict last year, I couldn't resist any longer. So now I'm trying to live out the monastic tradition as much as my state in life permits. Long story short, that's why I prefer and purchased the Monastic Diurnal (I apologize if I bored anyone).

Does anyone know of a forum, that is active, where I could ask questions about the MD when a confusion arises? Is it possible to post questions here on this forum?

Laudetur Jesus Christus!

Kaesekopf

Quote from: XmenaceP on October 10, 2017, 08:46:51 PM
Thank you all for the responses! I looked around this forum and found two attachments on the Monastic Diurnal which will very helpful (I should have done that before asking this question lol). The reason for wanting the Monastic Diurnal is partly what aquinas138 said but more because I consider the monastic tradition to be my life, specifically the carmelite tradition (ancient observance). I was discerning with a group of the Third Order of St. Francis (which live as close as one can to the Rule of 1221) but I kept being drawn to St. Benedict, St. Basil, St. Augustine, St. Gregory the Great, St John Cassian, St. John Climacus, the Desert Fathers, Smaragdus of Saint-Mihiel, other Medieval monks, St John of the Cross, St Teresa of Avila, Fr. Jeronimo Gracian, etc. When I met Fr. Cassian Folsom and Fr. Benedict last year, I couldn't resist any longer. So now I'm trying to live out the monastic tradition as much as my state in life permits. Long story short, that's why I prefer and purchased the Monastic Diurnal (I apologize if I bored anyone).

Does anyone know of a forum, that is active, where I could ask questions about the MD when a confusion arises? Is it possible to post questions here on this forum?

Laudetur Jesus Christus!

Makes sense.

Do you have Facebook?  There's an active and nerdy Breviary group there. 

aquinas138

Quote from: XmenaceP on October 10, 2017, 08:46:51 PM

Laudetur Jesus Christus!

I'm pretty familiar with the nuts-and-bolts of the various stages of the Roman rubrics; the 1963 Monastic rubrics aren't super different from the 1960 Roman rubrics, so I'd be happy to help as much as I can. You can PM me if you have questions.