Is [i]The Lord of the Rings[/i] really Catholic?

Started by VeraeFidei, February 05, 2014, 01:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingTheoden

Quote from: Archer on March 24, 2014, 05:40:39 PM
Quote from: verenaerin on March 24, 2014, 05:15:04 PM
I thought one of the reasons was to prevent a personal cult type situation.

I love audiosancto. I have been listening to it for years. While watching the kids I usually can't read, but I can listen to a sermon. I have found it very spiritually edifying. It is upsetting to think that I cannot trust the priests on there. Especially since the one in question is my favorite.

Is it so hard to have a shepherd you can trust?

Man is fallen and priests are not perfect.  Don't make the mistake of throwing the baby out with the bathwater due to one questionable sermon regarding something that, in the grand scheme of things, is relatively irrelevant.

Archer is right.  Let's not make a joke out of our Father like Ham, but rather let us cover his nakedness as did Sem and Japheth.

The priest is wrong in his criticism of Tolkien and has probably been smothered with stifling, imagination-less and wonder killing mentalities of 1950s Catholicism.  I'm talking Thomism in horse pills, three times a day, 15 minute conveyer belt Low Masses and Baptism of Desire for all.

I really must credit Charles Coulombe for opening my mind to the sense of Catholic wonder.  We should appreciate that Creation is far more interesting than neon lights and endless strip malls.  Modernity has nearly extinguished our sense of dependency on God for all things.  And as such, our sense of the supernatural and fantastic has become dull.

No surprise that as people ridicule the notion of the fairies, belief in space aliens has become common (despite a clear papal condemnation of the notion.)

So as St. Augustine writes, let's make up for what we perceive to be a deficiency in Father's outlook by living out such principles ourselves.

Gardener

3rd and final part:

http://www.olmcfssp.org/cms/images/uploads/On_Criticizing_Tolkien_III.pdf

Quote from: Gardener on March 23, 2014, 09:43:57 PM
My Pastor has written two critiques of the talk in question, and here are the links (originally bulletin inserts)

http://www.olmcfssp.org/cms/images/uploads/On_Criticizing_Tolkien_I.pdf

http://www.olmcfssp.org/cms/images/uploads/On_Criticizing_Tolkien_II.pdf

They were originally printed double-sided, so begin on the right side of page 1, under the title.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

rbjmartin

I think Adeodatus's position is somewhat validated by the points Fr. Jackson made in that third part of his criticism. You really have to wonder about the prudence of a priest who so haphazardly levels criticism at others while committing multiple logical fallacies and possibly engaging in calumny. I would certainly take his words with a grain of salt with regard to controversial topics.

OzarkCatholic

Fr Sean Kopczynski finally got his 'faculties' taken away.

Checks out.
Feels like Groundhog Day again.