What are your favorite hobbies?

Started by Deirdre, August 24, 2019, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moneil

Last fall I got out my stamp collection to work with ... across the past several years I hadn't stopped collecting (i.e. accumulating) I hadn't really organized, identified, or mounted.  I also hope to get back to learning how to sew, and perhaps even complete my first quilt.

Deirdre

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on September 04, 2019, 05:27:45 PM
I enjoy memorizing koranic verses.

It's a relaxing exercise.

I like memorizing my favorite Bible verses.  ;D I tried reading the Koran in college (before I reverted), and it was extremely confusing.
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

Quote from: Bernadette on September 05, 2019, 06:43:01 AM

I like memorizing my favorite Bible verses.

Yet another project on my list, embroider my favorite Bible quotes onto squares of fabric and incorporate them into a quilt...

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Lynne on September 05, 2019, 02:49:24 PM

I like memorizing my favorite Bible verses.

Yet another project on my list, embroider my favorite Bible quotes onto squares of fabric and incorporate them into a quilt...

that would be amazing!

Heinrich

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on September 04, 2019, 05:27:45 PM
I enjoy memorizing koranic verses.

It's a relaxing exercise.

I like memorizing my favorite Bible verses.  ;D I tried reading the Koran in college (before I reverted), and it was extremely confusing.

Ask Vetus for help wit the confusing korap verses.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Vetus Ordo

I tried reading the Koran in college (before I reverted), and it was extremely confusing.

You were born a Muslim?
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

2Towers

Junk shops.  Some stuff I grab to sell on eBay.  I love running across things like the Tom Thumb cash register I had when I was five years old.  I knew a gal who would love to search for horrible 1960s and 70s clothing.  She would buy it and promptly loose it in her basement.  I like searching through books at goodwill.  I keep a lookout for Catholic books to buy for the prison ministry or myself.
The Kingdom of hope, knows no winter.
-Daniel SG-1

Deirdre

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on September 05, 2019, 09:19:00 PM
I tried reading the Koran in college (before I reverted), and it was extremely confusing.

You were born a Muslim?

No, no. I was taking a world religions class and realized I didn't know anything about the Koran. Because it was so confusing, I still don't, but that doesn't bother me anymore because I'm focusing on my own tradition now.
My Lord and my God.

Michael Wilson

Quote from: 2Towers on September 07, 2019, 10:27:49 PM
Junk shops.  Some stuff I grab to sell on eBay.  I love running across things like the Tom Thumb cash register I had when I was five years old.  I knew a gal who would love to search for horrible 1960s and 70s clothing.  She would buy it and promptly loose it in her basement.  I like searching through books at goodwill.  I keep a lookout for Catholic books to buy for the prison ministry or myself.
Do you run a prison ministry? If so, can you tell us a little about it?
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Heinrich

Quote from: 2Towers on September 07, 2019, 10:27:49 PM
I like searching through books at goodwill.  I keep a lookout for Catholic books to buy for the prison ministry or myself.

You wouldn't be from just north of Ocala, Florida would you? You sound like someone I know from there who is a bibliophile and mines the thrifts, among other places. He actually posts here. Goes by the name of Gardener.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Gardener

I'm not involved in prison ministry. But my luck it would be on the receiving end once the American Gulag starts.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Prayerful

There is a junk or antique shop near me whose nordie owner has no appreciation of books, just bric a bric some use to fill there homes, so there I got both a 1930 hand missal with excellent prayer cards, at one point, and early, a St Anthony's Treasury, same year, both for next to nothing.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Prayerful on September 12, 2019, 02:13:00 PM
There is a junk or antique shop near me whose nordie owner has no appreciation of books, just bric a bric some use to fill there homes, so there I got both a 1930 hand missal with excellent prayer cards, at one point, and early, a St Anthony's Treasury, same year, both for next to nothing.

I've been able to find a number of nice vintage catholic items at a couple of local thrift shops. :):):)
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Warwick

Medieval Military History and Nature.