If your parents were hoarders, would you report them?

Started by Bernadette, November 08, 2023, 04:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drummerboy

Quote from: Geremia on November 14, 2023, 05:47:03 PM
Quote from: drummerboy on November 14, 2023, 08:23:06 AMintervention by the social worker should lead to some sort of therapy
Social workers are communist agents.
Far better to seek a priest.

Please quote my whole post, and not just a selection.  I did indeed say a priest would be best, but a "therapist" is better than nothing in this case, as they refuse to see a priest.  Perhaps her diocese could provide a listing of counselors or therapists, so at least it's not completely secular
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Bernadette

Good news: Dad still has all of the dogs, but his house is at least clean enough now for his home healthcare worker and physical therapist to be able to come in. I'm very relieved. Thank God.
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

Quote from: Bernadette on November 12, 2023, 03:54:14 PMHe did agree to accept a rosary from me, so there's hope. I've decided to send him the combat rosary that I won in Gardener's rosary contest. Dad is retired Navy, and loves military history. I explained the history behind the combat rosary and he seemed interested, so I'll send it this week. He should get it before his next surgery.
Dad loves the combat rosary.  ;D
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

Joseph_3

I seem to recall Paul telling us not to drag our Brethren to judgement before the worldly authorities in 1 COR 6. Your father is a man, it isn't your place to dictate his living condition. If he is resolute then that is his decision. If you drag this to the courts then they will take the dogs and probably kill them depending on where you live.

>There are at least 15 dogs (we suspect more) in a 2 bedroom trailer.

Wow...

My point still stands but I understand your concern better...

Bernadette

Quote from: Joseph_3 on January 14, 2024, 06:53:34 PMYour father is a man, it isn't your place to dictate his living condition.
Because he's a man, or because he's an adult?
My Lord and my God.

Joseph_3

Because he's a man, or because he's an adult?
[/quote]

Lol, Well I meant because he's an adult.

I do suppose living condition is one thing women have the right to nag us about... Otherwise we'd be happy enough living in tree bark shanties with dirt floors.

dymphnaw

My father in law became a hoarder. I won't go into detail but the house became so disgusting that we couldn't visit. I would become physically ill and my husband was upset by the filth his parents were living in. When my father in law died it was hard for the EMTs to get his body out. I wish my in-laws hadn't ended up living like that and if I had to do it again I think I would have called the police anonymously and reported that the house was a fire hazard.

dymphnaw

[/quote]
Help to clean up his house.
[/quote]

My brother in law tried to do that. His father had a screaming meltdown.  My husband decided it was best to just stay away. Our in-laws could meet us somewhere but we refused to go to the house.

Bonaventure

My mother is a hoarder.

My wife and I have cleaned up her car the  hoard inevitably returns.

I would only do so after a repeated attempt, and a so called intervention like moment.

If their lives and health were in jeopardy I would give a firm deadline for some positive actions towards improvement, clearing out hoard, therapy, etc. I would warn if they didn't take this action, I would indeed report to adult welfare services.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

Bonaventure

I'm sorry.

Had an avalanche of old posts to look at.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Bernadette

Quote from: Bonaventure on March 19, 2024, 01:05:27 PMI'm sorry.

Had an avalanche of old posts to look at.
No problem. Completely understandable. Good to see you back.
My Lord and my God.