Self-employed folks, what do you do?

Started by johnb104, February 23, 2014, 01:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akavit

We're based just south of Chicago but we'll do jobs anywhere in the 48 states if the customer is willing to pay charges for shipping and/or installation.  In practice, only churches have a good reason to hire us for long distance work because that's our specialty.  For residential and commercial cabinetry, there are usually local companies that do good work and would be more economical.

Custom furniture however, is easily crated and shipped.

Is that your company or a company you work for?  Use of Latin leads me to believe it's your company.

voxxpopulisuxx

Its my company...and its just me right now...the market is saturated with cheap immigrant labor..my pricing isnt winning. I also work for a larger contractor.
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

Akavit

Yeah, I haven't a clue how to beat the cheap, immigrant labor in the painting field.  I don't have that problem because the barrier to entry in my trade is very high.  I've not seen an immigrant competitor yet.  Plus, by the time any of them could gather the tools to get into the trade, they'll be charging American prices.

Heinrich

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on July 09, 2014, 07:15:50 AM
the market is saturated with cheap immigrant labor

This is what Tom Tancredo of Colorado focuses on in his campaigns. And he never wins. Upsets me. Along with the lower wages. I picked up a black guy once who needed a ride. He slung his huge sack of cans into the bed of the truck. He said basic construction work is tough because of all the "wet backs." I know the Austrians here will rationalize the depressed wages, but it is just not right when a native can't make money due to politics and an absence of virtue.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.