Word document deleted itself when saving

Started by Apollonia, June 09, 2014, 12:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akavit

First of all, stop using your computer any more than necessary.  Don't save or move documents around.  Next, download and install an undelete utility like Recuva.  Use that and see if you can locate the missing file. 

Apollonia

Quote from: Akavit on June 10, 2014, 07:24:03 AM
First of all, stop using your computer any more than necessary.  Don't save or move documents around.  Next, download and install an undelete utility like Recuva.  Use that and see if you can locate the missing file.

I tried Recuva, but still nothing. It suggested two other recent files in the same folder to recover. Does that mean there is something wrong with them?

Akavit

Not sure.  You could try another utility such as a trial version of Undelete Plus.

If the file is important enough, perhaps it's time to send the drive to a professional data recovery service.

Apollonia

Quote from: Akavit on June 10, 2014, 09:07:55 AM
Not sure.  You could try another utility such as a trial version of Undelete Plus.

If the file is important enough, perhaps it's time to send the drive to a professional data recovery service.

Thank you. Well, I don't have much time so unfortunately I'll just have to start over.

Gardener

Quote from: Apollonia on June 10, 2014, 09:12:32 AM

Thank you. Well, I don't have much time so unfortunately I'll just have to start over.

Try this: http://www.briggsoft.com/dsnoop.htm

Use the free trial -- it has 25 free iterations.

You're looking for a file which is red. Any red file is "deleted". You can then restore it.

If you need instructions or can't figure it out, please post and I'll post instructions from my Security+ book this evening.

Here's a screen capture video I made for that class's lab with DS5.11: http://screencast.com/t/e6l5Zj2k

It will give you an idea of the ability of the file-recovery and how the interface works.

The reason Akavit said to stop unnecessarily using your computer is because if it is "deleted" the hard drive will write over the file, corrupting it and eventually truly deleting it. The more you do before its recovery, the more likely you will not recover it.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Apollonia

Quote from: Gardener on June 10, 2014, 09:27:55 AM

You're looking for a file which is red. Any red file is "deleted". You can then restore it.

If you need instructions or can't figure it out, please post and I'll post instructions from my Security+ book this evening.

Here's a screen capture video I made for that class's lab with DS5.11: http://screencast.com/t/e6l5Zj2k

It will give you an idea of the ability of the file-recovery and how the interface works.

The reason Akavit said to stop unnecessarily using your computer is because if it is "deleted" the hard drive will write over the file, corrupting it and eventually truly deleting it. The more you do before its recovery, the more likely you will not recover it.

Oh wow it found the file in the original folder! But when I "undelete" it, it says it hasn't been deleted. So what do I do?

Gardener

Quote from: Apollonia on June 10, 2014, 09:41:22 AM
Quote from: Gardener on June 10, 2014, 09:27:55 AM

Oh wow it found the file in the original folder! But when I "undelete" it, it says it hasn't been deleted. So what do I do?

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Can you take a screen shot?
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Habitual_Ritual

Quote from: Apollonia on June 10, 2014, 09:41:22 AM

Make sure your folder setting is not hiding files:

Here's how to display hidden files and folders.

Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.

Click the View tab.

Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then click OK.
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

Apollonia

I clicked on show hidden files and then I found it. But it's reduced to 1 kB? And there is some other file underneath it.

Apollonia

This is what it looks like in the program. I cant use the option undelete.

Daniel

What's in the ~WRL0004.tmp file?  That file's a lot bigger so maybe the text data is in it?

edit - actually, if ~WRL0004.tmp is the correct file, all you have to do is rename it and change the .tmp to .doc and it should open in Microsoft Word.

Apollonia

Quote from: Daniel on June 10, 2014, 12:03:16 PM
What's in the ~WRL0004.tmp file?  That file's a lot bigger so maybe the text data is in it?

edit - actually, if ~WRL0004.tmp is the correct file, all you have to do is rename it and change the .tmp to .doc and it should open in Microsoft Word.

Wow thank you! I didn't dare do anything with it but now I opened it and voilĂ ! There it was! I am SO happy!! :D

Gardener

Quote from: Daniel on June 10, 2014, 12:03:16 PM

Daniel for the touchdown. Good team effort, guys.

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Apollonia

Yes really awesome! I can't thank you enough! :D