Is HK around or anyone...

Started by erin is nice, May 04, 2014, 06:13:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erin is nice

Else who knows about computer hardware, specifically liquid cooling systems--  I need help!!

The Harlequin King

Didn't see this until now, but Erin already PM'ed me about it. I'm not an expert on liquid cooling systems for PC's, though, so perhaps other input is needed.

Gardener

Quote from: erin is nice on May 04, 2014, 06:13:15 AM
Else who knows about computer hardware, specifically liquid cooling systems--  I need help!!

What's your question?

Could you ask a Mod to move this to the geek forum?
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

erin is nice

Quote from: Gardener on May 06, 2014, 12:09:07 PM

What's your question?

The little light is on that means it's getting power, and the pump is running (I can feel it and hear it) but suddenly starting last week, the computer has been overheating. There is no evidence of a leak or anything like that.

Is there a geek forum? I never even noticed  :lol:

drummerboy

- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

MilesChristi

How do you make auntie freeze?
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Gardener

Quote from: erin is nice on May 06, 2014, 12:45:56 PM

What's your question?

The little light is on that means it's getting power, and the pump is running (I can feel it and hear it) but suddenly starting last week, the computer has been overheating. There is no evidence of a leak or anything like that.

Do you also have a fan, concurrent with the liquid cooling?

I admit, I've only learned about liquid cooling in my courses, but never the particulars of it, or if it is also used in conjunction with a fan.

If you don't have an answer by this evening, I'll try to remember to bring it up with my instructor tomorrow.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

erin is nice

Quote from: Gardener on May 06, 2014, 05:46:47 PM
Quote from: erin is nice on May 06, 2014, 12:45:56 PM

What's your question?

Do you also have a fan, concurrent with the liquid cooling?

I admit, I've only learned about liquid cooling in my courses, but never the particulars of it, or if it is also used in conjunction with a fan.

If you don't have an answer by this evening, I'll try to remember to bring it up with my instructor tomorrow.

I have three fans, all still running normally  :shrug:

I wonder if it could have been caused by adding a second ssd...

The Harlequin King

Erin: unless you accidentally nicked a component out of place, there's no way adding a solid state drive would have affected anything. If anything, they would be the most stable, least heat-generating parts of your entire rig.

Kaesekopf

Can you take a picture of your setup?

Is the liquid flowing while the pump runs? 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

CaptCrunch73

Quote from: MilesChristi on May 06, 2014, 05:29:58 PM
How do you make auntie freeze?

Hide her nightgown!

queue Looney Tunes soundtrack.....
"Hold firmly that our faith is identical with that of the ancients. Deny this, and you dissolve the unity of the Church."
-- Thomas Aquinas

"There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning, the middle, and the perfection. In the beginning, they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle, the contests of temptation; and in the end, the fullness of perfection."
-- Pope St. Gregory

CaptCrunch73

HK is correct and SSD isn't going to cause a heating issue. A picture would be helpful, water cooling systems usually have a thermostat, radiator and pump, among other things. Any of these things could be failing. Also, did this immediately occur after adding the SSD? The suggestion to see if anything got knocked out of place, or a fan blocked, or whatever is a good suggestion.
"Hold firmly that our faith is identical with that of the ancients. Deny this, and you dissolve the unity of the Church."
-- Thomas Aquinas

"There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning, the middle, and the perfection. In the beginning, they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle, the contests of temptation; and in the end, the fullness of perfection."
-- Pope St. Gregory

Gardener

Well, there are multiple options for what is going on...

1- Something got bumped in the process of adding the second ssd and it's not actually cooling, hence the heat.

2 - degradation of thermal paste for the processor, which would not actually be related to the new ssd, but could happen around the same time (or any time for that matter).

3 - Power supply is throwing off more heat due to the new SSD.

Since we know that the most recent thing was the additional SSD, if you can (assuming it's just for storage and not part of a necessary RAID configuration), unplug the power from it and run the computer and see if you still get overheating. If you do, then we know it's not that.

There are so many things it could be, but it's generally best to start with "what has changed?" after you determine symptoms.

erin is nice

I'll try to get a pic later... I'll have to pull everything out from under the desk again.

You can't see the liquid inside really, but you can hear the pump working. It didn't start overheating immediately after the ssd was added, it was about a month later, but it was the only thing that had changed.

I'm going to try replacing the thermal paste before I just send the cooler back and get a replacement. I didn't want it to come to that because I'm impatient  :(