"Dad what's a virgin""

Started by Chestertonian, November 29, 2016, 05:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chestertonian

so my son and I are hanging out they put a nativity up in my room and my son asks me this

Makes sense really.. It's a word he hears in church and the bible but we haven't had "5the talk" I said we can talk about it later maybe he will forget has snypne else had ro
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

LouisIX

Could you perhaps explain the significance without getting into the details of the conjugal act? For example:

"Do you know how mommies get pregnant with babies when they are married to a daddy? A virgin is someone who isn't married to a daddy. Mary wasn't married but she got pregnant with a baby in a special way because God gave her Jesus without even being married."

IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Carleendiane

Oh boy, let me know how that one turns out. You could tell him a virgin never gets married or has children. Never mind. Then he'll want to know why Mary is called a virgin. Nope, that won't work.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: LouisIX on November 29, 2016, 05:54:55 PM
Could you perhaps explain the significance without getting into the details of the conjugal act? For example:

"Do you know how mommies get pregnant with babies when they are married to a daddy? A virgin is someone who isn't married to a daddy. Mary wasn't married but she got pregnant with a baby in a special way because God gave her Jesus without even being married."

Kind of works, kind of doesn't -- because when the teenage girl down the street gets knocked up...  ;)
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

LouisIX

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on November 29, 2016, 07:13:39 PM

Kind of works, kind of doesn't -- because when the teenage girl down the street gets knocked up...  ;)

Right, but it gets the relevant religious message across without having to scandalize the child with sexual sin just yet.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Michael Wilson

I agree with Louis, the less said about the conjugal act the better; you could just say: A very holy woman totally consecrated to God. This would absolutely be true of Our Lady, without getting into details. Also, we adults often mistake the innocent questions of children for something deeper. I remember my Dad having the talk with me, and I was only about ten years old; I didn't have a clue what he was talking about. I wouldn't know for at least a couple of more years, and by that time I didn't even remember what he had told me. Thinking back  on it latter, I believe I must have asked my Mom some questions that she mistook for my wanting more info on the subject, when really they were just innocent questions.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Michael Wilson on November 29, 2016, 07:36:40 PM
I agree with Louis, the less said about the conjugal act the better; you could just say: A very holy woman totally consecrated to God. This would absolutely be true of Our Lady, without getting into details. Also, we adults often mistake the innocent questions of children for something deeper. I remember my Dad having the talk with me, and I was only about ten years old; I didn't have a clue what he was talking about. I wouldn't know for at least a couple of more years, and by that time I didn't even remember what he had told me. Thinking back  on it latter, I believe I must have asked my Mom some questions that she mistook for my wanting more info on the subject, when really they were just innocent questions.

Indeed.  Always clarify with your child what they are asking.  Less is more  ;)

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: LouisIX on November 29, 2016, 07:26:38 PM
Quote from: OCLittleFlower on November 29, 2016, 07:13:39 PM

Right, but it gets the relevant religious message across without having to scandalize the child with sexual sin just yet.

Yeah -- I still think it needs a few tweaks, though, especially if the kid is exposed to people around them who have had babies out of wedlock, etc.

MundaCorMeum

Ches, when mine asked the same question, and about what a foster father is (St. Joseph), this is what I told them: normally, mommies and daddies must cooperate in a special way to help God create a new baby.  Our Lady and St. Joseph did not have to do that. A person who never helps God create a baby is called a virgin.  With Our Lady, God just placed the baby Jesus in her womb (tummy), without her having to do anything to help him.  It was a miracle....something only God can do.  He did it that way to prove that He is who He says He is - God - and that Jesus is truly His Son. He did ask Our Lady's permission, though.  A foster father is a man who helps to raise a child as if it was his own, but he didn't help to create the child - St. Joseph did that with Our Lord.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on November 29, 2016, 07:48:20 PM
Ches, when mine asked the same question, and about what a foster father is (St. Joseph), this is what I told them: normally, mommies and daddies must cooperate in a special way to help God create a new baby.  Our Lady and St. Joseph did not have to do that. A person who never helps God create a baby is called a virgin.  With Our Lady, God just placed the baby Jesus in her womb (tummy), without her having to do anything to help him.  It was a miracle....something only God can do.  He did it that way to prove that He is who He says He is - God - and that Jesus is truly His Son. He did ask Our Lady's permission, though.  A foster father is a man who helps to raise a child as if it was his own, but he didn't help to create the child - St. Joseph did that with Our Lord.

Excellent explanation.

verenaerin

I would just say a virgin is someone who isn't married. In the case of the Holy Family, I would just say they are called virgins because they are special. That would be my response to my 5 yo.

percival

''A virgin is a person who has not yet joined in marriage with another person, and had a baby. However, sometimes people lose their virginity outside of marriage, and some even lose it without having a baby at all. Because this takes all kind of measures, those people don't have it quite right, they don't get the whole thing, so anyone who isn't married, save for some.'' Or something like that

John Lamb

Someone who devotes their whole body to God.
"Let all bitterness and animosity and indignation and defamation be removed from you, together with every evil. And become helpfully kind to one another, inwardly compassionate, forgiving among yourselves, just as God also graciously forgave you in the Anointed." – St. Paul

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: John Lamb on October 12, 2019, 03:25:20 PM
Someone who devotes their whole body to God.

Married couples do this as well, though.  They dedicate their bodies to God's specific will for them in creating and forming souls for The Kingdom.  It's not as high of calling as virginity in the religious life, true, but they are giving their very selves in service to God by sharing in His creative power.  Every time any person subdues his inordinate desires and obey God's will, instead of his own, that person is giving his body to God.