Forum improvements?

Started by Kaesekopf, October 30, 2018, 04:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mono no aware

Would it be possible to have a guideline in the forum rules about long copy-&-paste dumps? 

I can see the utility of quoting an article or an essay in its entirety when starting a thread, or on the odd occasion where it's warranted, but a constant repetition of long copy-&-paste dumps clogs up threads and seems like spamming.  Perhaps there could be a guideline that long copy-&-paste dumps should 1. use the quote function and 2. be infrequent.  A simple hyperlink can suffice otherwise.

The Curt Jester

On a forum I used to run, new posters were not permitted to upload images or use avatars until reaching a certain post count.  It allowed me and the mods a chance to determine if the person was there for the purpose of the forum or to cause trouble.  I think having such an implementation would be beneficial here considering recent events.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Mono no aware

Quote from: The Curt Jester on October 29, 2022, 06:02:43 AMOn a forum I used to run, new posters were not permitted to upload images or use avatars until reaching a certain post count.

Maybe they could be permitted avatars from an approved menu.  There is already an avatar gallery on this forum; unfortunately they're only available in a minuscule size, and are of celebrities from the late 1990s.  I don't know if the administrator is able to change and customize the selections.

The Curt Jester

Quote from: Pon de Replay on October 29, 2022, 07:01:23 AM
Maybe they could be permitted avatars from an approved menu.  There is already an avatar gallery on this forum; unfortunately they're only available in a minuscule size, and are of celebrities from the late 1990s.  I don't know if the administrator is able to change and customize the selections.

That would work, too, but I think it would be easier to just leave it blank.  Picking from a pool of pre-selected avatars doesn't really say much about the person posting.

Also, to add to my above post, new users could be prohibited from posting links since that can be a problem as well.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Mono no aware

Quote from: The Curt Jester on October 29, 2022, 07:07:06 AMPicking from a pool of pre-selected avatars doesn't really say much about the person posting.

That's true, but it's still better, aesthetically, than the plain user name just sitting there by its sad self.  A Bouguereau Madonna or Carravaggio's St. Matthew and the angel would give a new user a basic and attractive expression of their Catholicism, even if it's not expressive of them uniquely.

diaduit

Actually think a blank will stand out more as a newbie which can work two ways : put you on alert that there is a newbie if they are here to cause trouble or thread gently to someone who doesn't know the faith and is here with good intentions.

Melkor

Quote from: The Curt Jester on October 29, 2022, 06:02:43 AM
On a forum I used to run, new posters were not permitted to upload images or use avatars until reaching a certain post count.  It allowed me and the mods a chance to determine if the person was there for the purpose of the forum or to cause trouble.  I think having such an implementation would be beneficial here considering recent events.

That would be great if implemented here. Also another thing I've liked on another forum I use: the first 20 or so posts have to be approved by moderation before they are posted to the forum.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Goldfinch

Quote from: Pon de Replay on October 29, 2022, 07:14:35 AM
Quote from: The Curt Jester on October 29, 2022, 07:07:06 AMPicking from a pool of pre-selected avatars doesn't really say much about the person posting.

That's true, but it's still better, aesthetically, than the plain user name just sitting there by its sad self.  A Bouguereau Madonna or Carravaggio's St. Matthew and the angel would give a new user a basic and attractive expression of their Catholicism, even if it's not expressive of them uniquely.

Is that a quote from Nabokov in your signature, Pon?
"For there are no works of power, dearly-beloved, without the trials of temptations, there is no faith without proof, no contest without a foe, no victory without conflict. This life of ours is in the midst of snares, in the midst of battles; if we do not wish to be deceived, we must watch: if we want to overcome, we must fight." - St. Leo the Great

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Pon de Replay on October 29, 2022, 07:01:23 AM
Quote from: The Curt Jester on October 29, 2022, 06:02:43 AMOn a forum I used to run, new posters were not permitted to upload images or use avatars until reaching a certain post count.

I am, I think.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: The Curt Jester on October 29, 2022, 06:02:43 AM

I manually approve each new registration ever since The Incident years ago with A Different Forum.  It's helped to avoid obvious spam bots and such, but this was a new situation. 

I can look into it.  Once I get the Forum upgraded, I'll see if they have such triggers.  They probably do, the upgrade added a lot of functions, last I saw. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Mono no aware

Mono no aware

Other forums have up-votes and down-votes.  There's a "say thanks" function on this forum.  Is it possible for a "dislike" function to be added?

Goldfinch

Quote from: Pon de Replay on November 26, 2022, 06:52:47 AM
Other forums have up-votes and down-votes.  There's a "say thanks" function on this forum.  Is it possible for a "dislike" function to be added?

We only up-vote here. We're inclusive.
"For there are no works of power, dearly-beloved, without the trials of temptations, there is no faith without proof, no contest without a foe, no victory without conflict. This life of ours is in the midst of snares, in the midst of battles; if we do not wish to be deceived, we must watch: if we want to overcome, we must fight." - St. Leo the Great

Michael Wilson

A company that one of my sisters worked for came up with the not so brilliant idea of giving a "Makerel Award", for that employee that screwed up the most during the past week. The boss attempted to give this award to my sister; there was no Makerel award given after that..... :laugh:
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Miriam_M

I think down-votes invite displays of animosity beyond the content of the post itself.  This is what I've seen elsewhere.  If a member wants to object to the message and not the messenger, it is better done directly, i.m.o.  Dislike of a more personal nature is thus forced to be aired, and therefore has a tendency to restrain the responder because it's within public view.