Forum improvements?

Started by Kaesekopf, October 30, 2018, 04:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerrorDæmonum

The current settings allow for one to use avatar images that are default with SMF. These are largely immodest or inappropriate celebrities and most people don't seem to use them anyway.

I suggest that their use be disabled.

To do this, Server-stored avatars, "Select permissions for each group" and just uncheck the groups.

Regular members (and moderators) will see only the "Personalized Picture" settings for No avatar, Specify avatar by URL, and Upload an avatar after this is done.

TerrorDæmonum

If people are allowed to repeatedly reference a removed thread to make accusations, I request that the thread in question be restored, as those false accusations are infuriating, as false accusations tend to be.

Jayne

Quote from: Pæniteo on January 14, 2022, 03:31:44 PM
If people are allowed to repeatedly reference a removed thread to make accusations, I request that the thread in question be restored, as those false accusations are infuriating, as false accusations tend to be.

As I understood it, the thread was removed to stop an extremely unpleasant discussion.  Rather than stopping it, however, the subject keeps being raised over and over again with people mischaracterizing Joseph's posts as "false accusations of adultery".  The proof of his innocence has been removed.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

TerrorDæmonum

I repeat this suggestion.

TerrorDæmonum

Never mind. I realized what was causing it. All is well. Carry on.

Jayne

Quote from: Pæniteo on January 21, 2022, 01:32:11 PM

I repeat this suggestion.

Possibly even more than restoring the proof of your innocence is needed.  Perhaps we need an "official judgment" from KK and an instruction that people must stop making false accusations about this.  It is ridiculous how often this subject gets raised and it does not look like we are going to "move on" without some kind of intervention.

TerrorDæmonum

At this point, after reviewing everything (I review things I post, other things, etc, very frequently), I think we need a statement more like deliberate scandalous appearances will be banned from the forum because this is a traditional Catholic forum. Even if it is just all a game or there is some innocent explanation, Catholics should be mindful of how they present themselves to avoid grave scandal.

I don't know what happened in 2019-2020, but we know where everybody started, and where they ended up, and that needs an explanation, not false accusations. To present oneself that way and then lie about others who made no assumptions or accusations in asking for clarification is a grave issue.

TerrorDæmonum

It might help improve the image of "traditional Catholics" somewhat to not be associated with certain political extremes that are known for particular crimes against humanity, and persecution of the Church.

All grave sins should be unacceptable to flaunt on the forum.

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: Pæniteo on January 22, 2022, 06:22:45 PM
It might help improve the image of "traditional Catholics" somewhat to not be associated with certain political extremes that are known for particular crimes against humanity, and persecution of the Church.

You mean Democrats?
this page left intentionally blank

Heinrich

slandering other posters should be permabannihilatable.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on January 22, 2022, 07:31:00 PM
Quote from: Pæniteo on January 22, 2022, 06:22:45 PM

You mean Democrats?

That was not in my mind, but I suppose banning any apologetic posts for any political party or organization known for promoting evil as part of their identity would be a good thing.

I would be surprised if there were any card carrying Democratic Party (USA) members here though. I don't even know of the Canadian political parties, but I'm sure they are bad too.

All grave sins should be unacceptable to flaunt on the forum, and that includes those who participate in the sins of others.

Jayne

Quote from: Heinrich on January 22, 2022, 07:40:51 PM
slandering other posters should be permabannihilatable.

This is not a bad idea in theory, but how could it be put into practice without making a huge amount of work for KK?  Every time someone was accused of slander, wouldn't he have to investigate to determine the truth of the matter?  Given how often people  accuse others of slander around here, I would expect it to be unreasonably time consuming.

ETA:  What if accusing people of slander were also a bannable offense, if the investigation determined the accusation were false or unjustified.  This might make people think a bit more before making such accusations.

TerrorDæmonum

I advocate for the banning of evil behaviours, not individuals.

I try to avoid the hysterical overreactions that are common here.

Even if a person should be banned, I don't make it personal, because that is very petty and diminishes the argument.

If a person has done evil, it should be evident, and the accusations should be able to be supported with clear evidence of actual wrong doing. Whining because one doesn't like another is silly.

TerrorDæmonum

In other words, apologetic posts contrary to fact supporting or defending wars of aggression of hateful regimes would be "bad".

Opposing such posts is not. Being called a Nazi for opposing such posts contrary to right reason, history, and the Church is perhaps a clear indication of interior intent. Invoking Godwin's Law in that context was the most bizarre use of it I have seen.

Heinrich

Quote from: Pæniteo on January 23, 2022, 05:28:35 AM
In other words, apologetic posts contrary to fact supporting or defending wars of aggression of hateful regimes would be "bad".

Ah, you are a Confederate sympathizer, like me.

[yt][/yt]
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.