Forum improvements?

Started by Kaesekopf, October 30, 2018, 04:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

Quote from: Heinrich on November 15, 2020, 06:37:20 PM

Heinrich is doing an excellent job of not talking about Feeneyism (or anything at all).  He is a model for us all.  :)
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Christe Eleison

:pray3:

Non Nobis

Quote from: Michael Wilson on November 15, 2020, 09:02:23 AM
I'm fine, I just don't see the logic here; he wants to argue about Feeneyism; its not allowed on this forum, but there is another forum where he can argue to his hearts content; and he doesn't want to argue over there; he wants to argue over here.

Don't most of us prefer arguing over here to arguing on cathinfo, on any topic? It flatters SD. Maybe we have better arguers.  (I haven't verified this scientifically!)

And you all know that we HAVE argued on this topic over here, even in recent months, when Kaesekopf was away...

I understand the Catholic and anti-forever-arguments/reasons for banning the topic on SD.   I believe with St. Thomas and *I BELIEVE* the Church that Baptism of Desire is never an option man can choose, but may be God's prerogative for a man.  I just wanted to say where I stand, not argue further.

Some people (not me) think that Sedevacantism is just as heretical as others think BOD/or BOD-denial is heretical.   So Sedevacantism is put on a private sub-forum   ("sedevacantsm ghetto" if you like)

Kaesekopf, you are the moderator and I agree with your reasons for banning the topic even from a private isolated sub-forum, but it is nevertheless a tempting subject for many well-intentioned Catholics to discuss.  If the Church had taken Archbishop Lefebvre's views so many Catholics would not have gone overboard and fallen for Fr. Feeney as a phony answer to modernism.

I'm probably not going to post very much on this topic, but I guess if we were voting I would vote for a private sub-forum.  But the reality is that you are the boss Kaesekopf!

Quote from: Kaesekopf on November 14, 2020, 02:43:10 PM
To make clear, the Feeneyite Question for this Forum has been definitively settled for over 5 years now. 

OK, well I brought it up one more time but I'll shut up now  :)
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Vetus Ordo

There's no such thing as "Feeneyism."
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

GiftOfGod

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on November 19, 2020, 05:21:17 PM
There's no such thing as "Feeneyism."

Is there such thing as a "Feeneyite"?
Quote from: Maximilian on December 30, 2021, 11:15:48 AM
Quote from: Goldfinch on December 30, 2021, 10:36:10 AM
Quote from: Innocent Smith on December 30, 2021, 10:25:55 AM
If attending Mass, the ordinary form as celebrated everyday around the world be sinful, then the Church no longer exists. Period.
Rather, if the NOM were the lex credendi of the Church, then the Church would no longer exist. However, the true mass and the true sacraments still exist and will hold the candle of faith until Our Lord steps in to restore His Bride to her glory.
We could compare ourselves to the Catholics in England at the time of the Reformation. Was it sinful for them to attend Cranmer's service?
We have to remind ourselves that all the machinery of the "Church" continued in place. They had priests, bishops, churches, cathedrals. But all of them were using the new "Book of Common Prayer" instead of the Catholic Mass. Ordinary lay people could see with their own eyes an enormous entity that called itself the "Church," but did the true Church still exist in that situation? Meanwhile, in small hiding places in certain homes were a handful of true priests offering the true Mass at the risk of imprisonment, torture and death.

Vetus Ordo

DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Michael Wilson

I would like to see a thread dedicated to "Conversion Stories"; I love to read about these.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

GiftOfGod

Quote from: Michael Wilson on December 10, 2020, 08:18:19 PM
I would like to see a thread dedicated to "Conversion Stories"; I love to read about these.

I agree but it would be a ghost town. Unless you allow conversion stories for NO to FSSP, FSSP to SSPX, SSPX to Resistance, etc., and all of the above to SV. Then that forum would fill up.

I've tried to convert atheists, pagans, and Protestants but to no avail. It's like pulling a bait and switch because I start talking with them about Catholicism but when they inquire for further details I have to divulge "Well, forget the Pope and 99% of 'Catholics'." It's far easier to make conservative NOers into trads.
If attending Mass, the ordinary form as celebrated everyday around the world be sinful, then the Church no longer exists. Period.
Rather, if the NOM were the lex credendi of the Church, then the Church would no longer exist. However, the true mass and the true sacraments still exist and will hold the candle of faith until Our Lord steps in to restore His Bride to her glory.
We could compare ourselves to the Catholics in England at the time of the Reformation. Was it sinful for them to attend Cranmer's service?
We have to remind ourselves that all the machinery of the "Church" continued in place. They had priests, bishops, churches, cathedrals. But all of them were using the new "Book of Common Prayer" instead of the Catholic Mass. Ordinary lay people could see with their own eyes an enormous entity that called itself the "Church," but did the true Church still exist in that situation? Meanwhile, in small hiding places in certain homes were a handful of true priests offering the true Mass at the risk of imprisonment, torture and death.

andy

Idea for an improvement: merge with cathinfo.

But seriously - who/what is a typical reader/audience here?

In case, this place is shut down - would it be possible to open source the archive of this, so a lot if interesting discussions of past are not lost?

GiftOfGod

Quote from: andy on December 10, 2020, 10:33:24 PM
Idea for an improvement: merge with cathinfo.

But seriously - who/what is a typical reader/audience here?

In case, this place is shut down - would it be possible to open source the archive of this, so a lot if interesting discussions of past are not lost?

SD could never merge with CI because the boogeyman of "Feeneyism" can be debated there. Regarding an archive, just use archive.org

Lynne

Quote from: GiftOfGod on December 10, 2020, 10:56:07 PM

Regarding an archive, just use archive.org

I just checked. Archive.org has an archive of the main page but not the topics/threads unfortunately. Last year I played around with creating an archive via python but didn't get very far.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

andy

Way Back machine from archive will not work well.

BTW, sharing the backup of the forum is less than optimal too, as some personal info, I guess mainly email and IP addresses  would be exposed.

GiftOfGod

Quote from: Lynne on December 11, 2020, 05:12:41 AM
Quote from: GiftOfGod on December 10, 2020, 10:56:07 PM

Regarding an archive, just use archive.org

I just checked. Archive.org has an archive of the main page but not the topics/threads unfortunately. Last year I played around with creating an archive via python but didn't get very far.

Quote from: andy on December 11, 2020, 04:46:10 PM
Way Back machine from archive will not work well.

BTW, sharing the backup of the forum is less than optimal too, as some personal info, I guess mainly email and IP addresses  would be exposed.

You're right; it is not automatically saved. But you can have it manually saved. I did it for the first page of this thread:
https://web.archive.org/web/20201212030917/http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=21059 You can only save one page at a time.

I used to use another archive website (archive.is) but they are commercial and have only been around for 4 years. I trust that Internet Archive, a nonprofit started in 1996, will exist for eternity, save a nuclear war. From now on I will only be using the Internet Archive.

Kaesekopf

For the record, I have no intention of shutting this place down. 

And, if I WERE to want to shut it down (which I don't), I'd be more inclined to hand it off to someone than to shut it down.  I like this place too much.  :)

Just, for the record. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Prayerful

I wonder if a few nearly disused or very lightly used forums be closed. It might help to give a greater sense of activity in the other sections. Maybe.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.