German proficiency

Started by Jayne, December 13, 2020, 05:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

Does anyone know how various measures of German ability are related to each other?

From what I have read, I'm guessing that high school German up to grade 12 is roughly equivalent to first year university German which would be similar to CEFR A2.  Then second year would be B1 and perhaps B2.  That would make third year university and higher courses correspond to C1 and C2.

Does that sound right?
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Heinrich

Quote from: Jayne on December 13, 2020, 05:14:03 AM
Does anyone know how various measures of German ability are related to each other?

From what I have read, I'm guessing that high school German up to grade 12 is roughly equivalent to first year university German which would be similar to CEFR A2.  Then second year would be B1 and perhaps B2.  That would make third year university and higher courses correspond to C1 and C2.

Does that sound right?

My upper level students who regularly earn A's or B's(1-2) students routinely score at B1 level, using Willamette University's online placer.* They had exposure and use of ~10.000 words and up to infinitive phrases and past perfect subjunctive. I have never taught subjunctive 1(indirect speech) at high school level. I only know of two students of mine who continued with German. One is an engineer from BYU and the other went to some musical academy in Ontario(she spoke French, too).

*https://willamette.edu/arts-sciences/dean/enrolling/firstyear-students/placement-exams-and-auditions/foreign-language-placement/index.html
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Jayne

This is very helpful, Heinrich.  My local university apparently has a good German program and I have been thinking I might eventually take some courses there to get up to C1 and even C2.  Once I'm 65 (which is approaching quickly), I'll be able to take classes without tuition.

Obviously, I will consult with them if/when I am seriously about to do it, but I'm trying to get a sense of what sort of preparation I would need.

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Jayne

I just passed the A1 test from the online course I am using.  I am not sure how reliable this is though.  I know for sure that an online course is not going result in oral proficiency.  I have found an online tutor for that and plan to eventually get conversation partners.