Poor Box Bett(er)ing

Started by Gardener, August 30, 2014, 04:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardener

Per this post: http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=3404.msg181152#msg181152

How about there be a game of poor box betting.

Situation: someone makes an assertion which has a provable outcome, i.e., x thread has 20 posts left before it's locked. There is then a challenge on taking that as a bet. Challenge/bet MUST be publicly accepted to be valid. I propose a cap of 10 dollars but anything from 10 down. So, "I bet you $1-10 to the poor box you're wrong".

This way, we can have the excitement of a bet but the winner is always going to be the poor box, and those that find its filling a benefit.

Obviously, this would be honor system.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Chestertonian

I like it... W wonder if churches use the poor box always wondered where my money
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Lynne

Quote from: Chestertonian on August 30, 2014, 04:28:30 PM
I like it... W wonder if churches use the poor box always wondered where my money

Typically it goes to St Vincent de Paul's

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Bernadette

My church doesn't have a poor box.  :-\ But my priest and the pastoral associate made a bet once, about how many people would show up for Confession, with the loser donating the proceeds to Catholic Charities.
My Lord and my God.

Arun

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih