Most thorough book on Church in French Revolution?

Started by Bernadette, September 27, 2023, 12:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

I'm looking for the most detailed book on the subject of the persecution of the Church during the French Revolution. Preferably also dealing with the new religion that the authorities tried to set up. Any suggestions? I have Dr. Warren Carroll's Revolution Against Christendom. Is that the best book on the subject?
My Lord and my God.

LausTibiChriste

I have Belloc's. Haven't read it yet, but it is supposed to be good and of course, he'll incorporate the Faith into a lot of it, but it isn't long.

I also have Edmund Burke's work on it - not Catholic but it's relatively first hand.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

james03

If you are reading Carroll, then read The Guillotine and the Cross, which deals directly with the French Revolution.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Heinrich

Not what you are looking for by particular query, yet this book is fair on the topic(at least how I remember 15 years ago).

Citizens: A Chronicle of the French Revolution https://a.co/d/gh2Mm5x

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

james03

"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"