More nonsense from Pope Francis: a rehabilitation of Bernardin's legacy

Started by Mr. Mysterious, October 26, 2013, 09:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Mysterious

I wonder what the opposite of "brick by brick" is, or need I ask? The gaffe machine Papacy strikes again.

http://www.uscatholic.org/print/28004

"Take courage! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Parresia

Quote from: The Punisher on October 26, 2013, 09:47:52 AM
I wonder what the opposite of "brick by brick" is, or need I ask? The gaffe machine Papacy strikes again.

We are definitely in for a long ride I believe.  Its one of the reasons my wife and I are looking at where we wish to live for the foreseeable future.  We know we are going to need to be in a strong parish with the things that are taking place in the Church, and in society at large. 

devoutchristian

So as with the "Right wing Christians are insane" story, he didn't actually say anything wrong, but some liberal rag is just sure of what he really meant.
Modernism! Modernism! All is modernism (even if its not)!

"For Catholics, nothing will remove the authority of the Second Council of Nicaea, where it condemns those who dare, after the impious fashion of heretics to deride ecclesiastical traditions, ... or to endeavor by malice or craft to overthrow any one of the legitimate traditions of the Catholic Church. " --Pope St. Pius X (1903-1914), Encyclical Letter Pascendi Dominici Gregis, September 8, 1907

An excerpt from the works of Martin Luther:

"bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep"

Quote from: the Council of TrentCANON VII.--If any one saith, that the ceremonies, vestments, and outward signs, which the Catholic Church makes use of in the celebration of masses, are incentives to impiety, rather than offices of piety; let him be anathema.

Landless Laborer

I read Fr M. Martin's Windswept House not long ago, and wondered if the Cardinal of Century City was a portrayal of Cardinal Bernardin.  Just found a google link that confirms this.  Don't mean to derail the thread here, but the link cross references all the characters to their real life counterparts.  Wow.  I think i'm going to have to read that tome again!

http://www.traditio.com/tradlib/wind.txt

Pheo

Quote from: devoutchristian on October 26, 2013, 10:03:36 AM
So as with the "Right wing Christians are insane" story, he didn't actually say anything wrong

Actually, he did.

So what's your CAF username?  You're starting to remind me uncomfortably of Sirach/PoohBear (although with how she lied about her multiple FE accounts, I wouldn't expect her to own up to it here either).
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Kopp

Quote from: The Punisher on October 26, 2013, 09:47:52 AM

There is no indication that Pope Francis has ever read anything by Bernardine. He certainly has not said anything about him or his writings publicly.

So this is a bunch of wishful thinking on the part of the author.

Even given the more credible claims that Bergoglio was a student of the Jesuit Cardinal Martini and given that he has endorsed Martini's writing, Bergoglio was demonstrably orthodox on abortion as well as contraception, while Martini was a known dissenter. Given Martini's open dissent one can and certainly should question Pope Francis' prudence in praising him, but in South America Martini was known for his biblical scholarship and sense of mission, not his dissent on moral issues.

Pope Francis has said and done plenty things worthy of criticism but associating him with Bernardine is baseless at this point.

devoutchristian

Quote from: Pheo on October 26, 2013, 03:17:39 PM
So as with the "Right wing Christians are insane" story, he didn't actually say anything wrong

Actually, he did.

What did he say wrong?

Quote from: Pheo on October 26, 2013, 03:17:39 PM
So what's your CAF username?  You're starting to remind me uncomfortably of Sirach/PoohBear (although with how she lied about her multiple FE accounts, I wouldn't expect her to own up to it here either).

My username is the same on all three forums. I was banned from the other two.

"For Catholics, nothing will remove the authority of the Second Council of Nicaea, where it condemns those who dare, after the impious fashion of heretics to deride ecclesiastical traditions, ... or to endeavor by malice or craft to overthrow any one of the legitimate traditions of the Catholic Church. " --Pope St. Pius X (1903-1914), Encyclical Letter Pascendi Dominici Gregis, September 8, 1907

Quote from: the Council of TrentCANON VII.--If any one saith, that the ceremonies, vestments, and outward signs, which the Catholic Church makes use of in the celebration of masses, are incentives to impiety, rather than offices of piety; let him be anathema.

Mr. Mysterious

So as with the "Right wing Christians are insane" story, he didn't actually say anything wrong, but some liberal rag is just sure of what he really meant.

Given his track record as the "Mahony of South America" before he became Pope, the liberal rag may be on to something albeit not for the benefit of the Church.

Mr. Mysterious

Quote from: Kopp on October 26, 2013, 03:59:05 PM
There is no indication that Pope Francis has ever read anything by Bernardine. He certainly has not said anything about him or his writings publicly.
No, but they seem to have much the same outlook on many issues.

QuoteSo this is a bunch of wishful thinking on the part of the author.
Possibly. But given the fact Roger Mahony (a Bernardin protege' no less) couldn't contain himself upon Bergoglio's election and Bergoglio's Masses in Argentina often resembled Mahony's, maybe the author has the same giddyness that Mahony does.

QuoteEven given the more credible claims that Bergoglio was a student of the Jesuit Cardinal Martini and given that he has endorsed Martini's writing, Bergoglio was demonstrably orthodox on abortion as well as contraception, while Martini was a known dissenter. Given Martini's open dissent one can and certainly should question Pope Francis' prudence in praising him, but in South America Martini was known for his biblical scholarship and sense of mission, not his dissent on moral issues.

Pope Francis has said and done plenty things worthy of criticism but associating him with Bernardine is baseless at this point.
There are some uncanny similarities between the two men; the current Pope's recent remark regarding the "obsession" with abortion, homosexual marriage, and contraception and the need to find a "new balance" should have sent up red flags. 

Pheo

Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

devoutchristian

Pheo

Quote from: devoutchristian on October 26, 2013, 09:27:51 PM
He didn't even mention right wing Christians.

He criticized rote prayer in the same homily, so he did say something wrong.

LoverOfTradition

Quote from: Pheo on October 26, 2013, 10:03:57 PM
Quote from: devoutchristian on October 26, 2013, 09:27:51 PM
He didn't even mention right wing Christians.

He criticized rote prayer in the same homily, so he did say something wrong.

I guess I should throw my prayer book and Rosary out, huh?

Kidding... :)
"I have never changed. I have preached and done what the Church has always taught. I have never changed what the Church said in the Council of Trent and at the First Vatican Council. So who has changed? It is the enemy, as Pope St. Pius X said, the enemy who is working within the Church because he wants the Church to be finished with her tradition." (Archbishop Lefebvre, Homily, Venice, April 7, 1980)

VeraeFidei

I live in Chicago, and as Tim from FE can tell us all, there is something especially strange and corrupt about this place, and not just in the political realm - it extends to churchmen too. Bernadin is one man whom I never wish to hear about again.

The priest who married us and who baptized my son was a spokesman for and close confidant of Bernadin.

Larry

Quote from: VeraeFidei on October 27, 2013, 02:02:29 PM
I live in Chicago, and as Tim from FE can tell us all, there is something especially strange and corrupt about this place, and not just in the political realm - it extends to churchmen too. Bernadin is one man whom I never wish to hear about again.

The priest who married us and who baptized my son was a spokesman for and close confidant of Bernadin.

When Cardinal George took over as the Archbishop of Chicago, he had to appoint a full time Exorcist to the diocese. Read Windswept House and you'll understand why.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross