Hello, friends

Started by StJohnEudes, August 27, 2018, 12:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StJohnEudes

What brings you to SD? Traditional Catholic hoping to meet and talk
Are you a member of other Internet fora?  All the usual trad sites, but I change my name seasonally and delete history a lot in the process, but pretty much everywhere going back 10 years
If so, care to mention which one(s)? above
Why did you choose your username and avatar? St. John Eudes is great!
What is your state of life - single, married, religious, or still discerning? married
Whereabouts do you live "in real life"? (be as specific or as general as you wish!) New York
Personality type? Intellectual, reserved, quiet
Favorite books? Bible, City of God
Favorite movies? Passion of Christ
Favorite TV shows? No, never watch
Favorite sports/teams No interest
Have any hobbies? music instruments (most all, currently harmonica) and computer programming
Pet peeves: none
Fun random fact about yourself: none

PerEvangelicaDicta

Welcome, friend  :pray1:

There are a few St John Eudes excerpts here
http://catholicharboroffaithandmorals.com/St.%20John%20Eudes.html

In particular, Salutation to the Glory of Mary, my favorite.
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

mikemac

Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

maryslittlegarden

Welcome from another St John Eudes fan :)
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Lynne

Welcome!

Which computer languages interest you? I speak SQL and PowerShell...  ;)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Michael Wilson

A hearty welcome to the forum! :beer:
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Heinrich

Thursday is leg day. How djoo dew?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

PerEvangelicaDicta

Quote from: Heinrich on August 30, 2018, 07:24:48 PM

I'm not sure why your comments along these lines with a new member always make be burst out laughing, but they do.
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Heinrich

Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on August 30, 2018, 09:08:23 PM

I'm not sure why your comments along these lines with a new member always make be burst out laughing, but they do.

Trad men need to lift.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Jayne

Quote from: Heinrich on August 30, 2018, 09:25:43 PM
Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on August 30, 2018, 09:08:23 PM

Trad men need to lift.

Everybody needs to lift.  It is much like brushing one's teeth, a basic task of health and hygiene. It is arguably even more important for older women to do strength training due to this group's higher risk for osteoporosis.  Since I lift myself, I find these references to lifting decidedly unconvincing as a signal of machismo or whatever it is Heinrich thinks he is doing.

As a greeting for new members, a running gag that they are not likely to understand is a highly debatable choice.  It is just as likely to be seen as a way of reinforcing their status as newbies as making them feel welcomed or amused.

But I hope that StJohnEudes does feel welcome and finds this forum of spiritual benefit in spite of Heinrich's and my own failures in this intro thread.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Heinrich

Jayne, if anything were to dissuade a new member from being participatory, it would be fear of you sticking your big, fat, sanctimonious, and disingenuous nose into things that really do not concern you.

Call me Horse

What brings you to SD? Traditional Catholic .....nice to meet like minded souls.
Are you a member of other Internet fora?  No ....I was a long time token Catholic on the Baptist Board of America, but no longer.
Why did you choose your username and avatar?  The first thing to pop into my head
What is your state of life - single
Whereabouts do you live "in real life"? New Zealand
Personality type? Melancholic
Favorite books? Too hard to define at present
Favorite movies? I have been a Tolkien fan since my youth so the Peter Jackson films are mine.  Also currently love Valerian the the Planet of a thousand cities
Favorite TV shows? yawn
Favorite sports/teams yawn
Have any hobbies? huge devotee of all things needle and thread, reading and book collecting
Pet peeves: folk leaving doors open when they were shut
Fun random fact about yourself: have sworn off sugar

red solo cup

North or South Island?
When you look out your window can you see sheep?
Do you know a fellow named Arun?
Ever done the haka?
non impediti ratione cogitationis

mikemac

Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source