Where WOULD You Attend Mass?

Started by Mithrandylan, December 29, 2012, 07:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penelope

Quote from: Melkite on January 03, 2013, 09:33:07 PMI mean, I guess I could go to an Institute parish, but they are all in the midwest, and I live on the east coast, so that isn't a realistic option.

FWIW, there's an ICKSP chapel in North Jersey.

Melkite

Quote from: Penelope on January 03, 2013, 10:05:52 PM
FWIW, there's an ICKSP chapel in North Jersey.

I live in the Baltimore area, but thanks for the heads up :)

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Melkite on January 03, 2013, 09:33:07 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 03, 2013, 06:19:10 PM
Quote from: Melkite on January 03, 2013, 04:48:43 PM
Eastern Rite only.  If I have to go to a Western rite church, Anglican Ordinariate if at all possible.  If that's not available, probably FSSP. I don't know that I could go anywhere else in good conscience.

How do you mean and how come?

Well, I can't really shake the feeling that they are all schismatics.  I mean, I guess I could go to an Institute parish, but they are all in the midwest, and I live on the east coast, so that isn't a realistic option.  On top of the schismatic feeling, SSPX has some Latin triumphalist tendencies (I imagine SSPV, CMRI and related groups are the same, though I haven't ever seen any instances of it personally) and, imo, they take parts of the New Testament out of context and insist upon things as truly Catholic that are actually contrary to the Gospel (as far as I can tell).  I couldn't give you examples off the top of my head, I'm just going by the internal reactions I remember having after reading things in the past.

The Eastern Rite should not differ in theology.  If they are taking more Eastern Orthodox ways of thinking, that needs to be addressed.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Dusty Bottoms

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Dusty Bottoms on January 04, 2013, 04:12:01 PM
I carry water for the Institute.

Finally get one of you guys up in here, lol.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Melkite

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on January 04, 2013, 03:00:00 PM
The Eastern Rite should not differ in theology.  If they are taking more Eastern Orthodox ways of thinking, that needs to be addressed.

Do you mean on actual doctrines individually, or the mindset behind them?  I think it is more important to say that if either Catholic or Orthodox theology is taking a way of thinking contrary to the Gospel, then that needs to be addressed.

Dusty Bottoms

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 04, 2013, 04:25:22 PM
Quote from: Dusty Bottoms on January 04, 2013, 04:12:01 PM
I carry water for the Institute.

Finally get one of you guys up in here, lol.

Please...we've already increased our numbers by 100%!

jovan66102

Given the wording of the poll question, I checked 'Eastern Rite' since I am, juridically, a Serbian Rite Catholic. However, things are not always equal in real life and I would rank my preferences as follows: 1) Eastern DL, 2) any 'una cum' TLM, 3) NO.
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux
https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/

Melkite

Quote from: jovan66102 on January 05, 2013, 11:13:44 AM
Given the wording of the poll question, I checked 'Eastern Rite' since I am, juridically, a Serbian Rite Catholic. However, things are not always equal in real life and I would rank my preferences as follows: 1) Eastern DL, 2) any 'una cum' TLM, 3) NO.

What is an una cum tlm?

jovan66102

Quote from: Melkite on January 05, 2013, 11:36:41 AM
Quote from: jovan66102 on January 05, 2013, 11:13:44 AM

What is an una cum tlm?

A Mass in which the Holy Father is prayed for by name. in other words a 'non-sede' Mass.
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux
https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/

Roland Deschain

Eastern Rite only.  If I have to go to a Western rite church, Anglican Ordinariate if at all possible.  If that's not available, probably FSSP. I don't know that I could go anywhere else in good conscience.

Well, I can't really shake the feeling that they are all schismatics.  I mean, I guess I could go to an Institute parish, but they are all in the midwest, and I live on the east coast, so that isn't a realistic option.  On top of the schismatic feeling, SSPX has some Latin triumphalist tendencies (I imagine SSPV, CMRI and related groups are the same, though I haven't ever seen any instances of it personally) and, imo, they take parts of the New Testament out of context and insist upon things as truly Catholic that are actually contrary to the Gospel (as far as I can tell).  I couldn't give you examples off the top of my head, I'm just going by the internal reactions I remember having after reading things in the past.

The Sui Iuris Churches of the East do and should differ in their particular theology which has grown organically since the time of the Apostles. The various Rites of the Church in all their various ways of approaching Christ are of equal dignity. The Eastern Catholic Churches are not Latin scholasticism dressed up in Byzantine vestments.

Of course if you are speaking of the real issues that divide us from the Eastern Orthodox churches such as papal primacy and toleration of artificial BC then you are of course correct.

This has also already been addressed by Pope Leo XIII in Orientalium Dignitas:

http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Leo13/l13orient.htm

"We have begun to have hope, We are fostering it because its realization would be a great cause for joy, and, it is a fact, We are pursuing more strenuously this work so profitable for the salvation of many. Our goal is to discharge to the utmost degree whatever may be hoped for from the prudent direction of the Apostolic See. The reasons for rivalry and suspicion must be removed; then the fullest energies can be marshaled for reconciliation. We consider this of paramount importance to preserving the integrity proper to the discipline of the Eastern Churches. For Our part, We have ever rendered extreme attention and concern for this endeavor. In this vein, We have already given instructions for establishing schools to form young clerics of their nationalities. We shall give a like instruction for erecting other institutes. In them the students will cultivate their rites with the greatest devotion, observe them, and have full knowledge of their usages. In point of fact there is more importance than can be believed in preserving the Eastern rites. Their antiquity is august, it is what gives nobility to the different rites, it is a brilliant jewel for the whole Church, it confirms the God-given unity of the Catholic Faith."
'Since Moses was alone, by having been stripped as it were of the people's fear, he boldly approached the very darkness itself and entered the invisible things where he was no longer seen by those watching. After he entered the inner sanctuary of the divine mystical doctrine, there, while not being seen, he was in company with the Invisible. He teaches, I think, by the things he did that the one who is going to associate intimately with God must go beyond all that is visible and—lifting up his own mind, as to a mountaintop, to the invisible and incomprehensible—believe that the divine is there where the understanding does not reach.'

—St Gregory of Nyssa

beagle

Right. There is a mushy middle of semi-orthodox out there that seem to take things further than that. I run into them now and then, and always feel like giving them each a fat e-lip. I don't know why some of them still claim to be Catholic.

I suppose it's like how we have semi-prots in the west.

trentcath

Quote from: Roland Deschain on January 05, 2013, 12:35:39 PM

The Sui Iuris Churches of the East do and should differ in their particular theology which has grown organically since the time of the Apostles. The various Rites of the Church in all their various ways of approaching Christ are of equal dignity. The Eastern Catholic Churches are not Latin scholasticism dressed up in Byzantine vestments.

Of course if you are speaking of the real issues that divide us from the Eastern Orthodox churches such as papal primacy and toleration of artificial BC then you are of course correct.

This has also already been addressed by Pope Leo XIII in Orientalium Dignitas:

http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Leo13/l13orient.htm

"We have begun to have hope, We are fostering it because its realization would be a great cause for joy, and, it is a fact, We are pursuing more strenuously this work so profitable for the salvation of many. Our goal is to discharge to the utmost degree whatever may be hoped for from the prudent direction of the Apostolic See. The reasons for rivalry and suspicion must be removed; then the fullest energies can be marshaled for reconciliation. We consider this of paramount importance to preserving the integrity proper to the discipline of the Eastern Churches. For Our part, We have ever rendered extreme attention and concern for this endeavor. In this vein, We have already given instructions for establishing schools to form young clerics of their nationalities. We shall give a like instruction for erecting other institutes. In them the students will cultivate their rites with the greatest devotion, observe them, and have full knowledge of their usages. In point of fact there is more importance than can be believed in preserving the Eastern rites. Their antiquity is august, it is what gives nobility to the different rites, it is a brilliant jewel for the whole Church, it confirms the God-given unity of the Catholic Faith."

The issue is that the last 1000 years of schism and even heresy havd obscured true eastern theology for pseudo-eastern, anti western theology.

OCLittleFlower

And discipline is not theology, at least not how I meant it.  Yes, the Eastern Rites will (rightly, no pun intended) do things their own way -- communion of infants, married priests, etc.  But their THEOLOGY of the Eucharist, of Holy Orders, of Marriage should be the same, no?
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Bonaventure

It's substantially the same as our.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."