Where WOULD You Attend Mass?

Started by Mithrandylan, December 29, 2012, 07:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryslittlegarden

I'd be equally inclined to go to both Diocesan and SSPX.  I've been leaning a bit more towards the SSPX lately, though.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

zork

My preference is Independent, then SSPX, then SSPV. I will go to so-called 'una cum' TLMs.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Patriarch

Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Thy great mercy . . . "
— Psalm 50, 3.

Patriarch

Although, CMRI came in at a very close second.
— Psalm 50, 3.

ThreeKings

This seems like a good thread to bump, considering everything that has gone on in the last few years.

Where would you go to mass now?

Philip G.

Quote from: Patriarch on February 11, 2013, 12:14:08 AM
Although, CMRI came in at a very close second.

The sspv and the cmri are mortal enemies.  You are talking no mans land.
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Padraig

Quote from: Roland Deschain on December 29, 2012, 08:24:41 PM
I am blessed to be able to attend what my first preference is: SSPX

IF Paul VI or JP II are "canonized" my preference will change to SSPV, CMRI or some other sedevacantist chapel/organization.

Since it did end happening (for both), I wonder if he changed parishes.

Miriam_M

Quote from: ThreeKings on September 23, 2018, 02:54:32 PM
This seems like a good thread to bump, considering everything that has gone on in the last few years.

Answer to that question is decided by my spiritual director.  Independents and CMRI are out, because they're SV.  Probably SSPV, too. Can't go to Resistance either, he says.  Can go to:

SSPX
FSSP
ICKSP
Diocesan TLM

+ Eastern rite Catholic Masses (but I'm not interested).

So that leaves the above 4 among my choices. 

Patriarch

Quote from: Philip G. on September 23, 2018, 02:57:59 PM
The sspv and the cmri are mortal enemies.  You are talking no mans land.

Probably. However, I no longer attend either. I attend Melkite or Maronite Catholic Divine Liturgies.
— Psalm 50, 3.

St.Justin

I tried a Byzantine Rite in Dayton Oh a couple of times but I could never figure out what was going on and all the bell ringing drove me crazy I then they would give communion out a second time when we were leaving Mass.

Patriarch

That was 'Antidoron', Blessed Bread. Antidoron is not the Blessed Eucharist. Part of the Prosphora (or loaf from which the Eucharist is confected) is reserved to be consecrated into the Precious Body-and-Blood of Our Blessed Saviour Jesus; the other portion is reserved as Antidoron for those unable to partake of the Blessed Sacrament and for those who have received so as to ensure the Sacrament isn't stuck in one's mouth, basically). :)
— Psalm 50, 3.

Philip G.

Quote from: Patriarch on September 23, 2018, 06:55:12 PM
That was 'Antidoron', Blessed Bread. Antidoron is not the Blessed Eucharist. Part of the Prosphora (or loaf from which the Eucharist is confected) is reserved to be consecrated into the Precious Body-and-Blood of Our Blessed Saviour Jesus; the other portion is reserved as Antidoron for those unable to partake of the Blessed Sacrament and for those who have received so as to ensure the Sacrament isn't stuck in one's mouth, basically). :)

I thought the antidoron was just there to make the lucky loser not feel so bad.  By lucky loser I mean the lady who baked bread that was rejected, because I understand the clergy has bread baked by multiple parties from whom they select the best. 
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

ThreeKings

Quote from: Miriam_M on September 23, 2018, 05:57:51 PM
Quote from: ThreeKings on September 23, 2018, 02:54:32 PM

Answer to that question is decided by my spiritual director.  Independents and CMRI are out, because they're SV.  Probably SSPV, too. Can't go to Resistance either, he says.  Can go to:

SSPX
FSSP
ICKSP
Diocesan TLM

+ Eastern rite Catholic Masses (but I'm not interested).

So that leaves the above 4 among my choices.

Interesting.
My spiritual director says not to attend any of the 4 on your list.  And, since I am Roman rite, not eastern, I should only attend Eastern if I have absolutely no other choice.

As for the resistance, both "camps" are problematic.  One is a heretical cult, full of perverts, laicized priests, "lay exorcist", and a non-bishop.  The other is so secretive, at least in the USA, I can never find a mass, although I would attend.

Independent is great.  There are many who are not Sedevecanti.  Problems with independent are 1. You really have to investigate their lineage and 2. There is no accountability.

I would go sedevecanti before going to any on your list of 4, but I would have to investigate prior to attending.

I would never attend duarte-costa lineage, as someone here suggested.  That line is absolutely NOT Catholic.

Thuc lineage is o.k. but have to investigate.  Can only be from one of the last 4 he consecrated, no nutjobs, and no sedevecanti.  I don't have a problem with sedeprivation, though, as it is becoming harder and harder to believe Pope Francis is the leader of Our Lord's Church on Earth.

Such terrible times in which we live...
Lord have mercy.

Miriam_M

ThreeKings,
Good to know that some Independents are not Sedevacanti.  I think my priest would want to make sure that such an Independent had received faculties from the bishop to hear Confessions, or had not lost his faculties if he stays within the same diocese.

We have some priests in our region whom we could call unaffiliated, but that was not my understanding of what an Independent is.  (I could have a faulty understanding.)  The unaffiliated near me have left their N.O. parishes, having become fed up with the N.O. in general, including the diocesan priorities and their former roles and limitations within it.  These men are committed to the TLM but have left their dioceses and now lead small parishes or segments of parishes who want to attend the TLM.  These priests I would not necessarily call radically traditionalist (that is, they were not formed in Tradition), but I have noticed that priests who break away from their dioceses and from the N.O. become increasingly disillusioned by Conciliarism and the entire diocesan structure/politics and convert steadily to Tradition.

To a man, priests who exclusively celebrate the TLM report that it changes their priesthood profoundly.  Often that change includes conversion to traditional doctrine and spirituality, which are really inseparable from liturgy (properly understood), anyway.

ThreeKings

Quote from: Miriam_M on September 24, 2018, 10:44:31 AM
ThreeKings,
Good to know that some Independents are not Sedevacanti.  I think my priest would want to make sure that such an Independent had received faculties from the bishop to hear Confessions, or had not lost his faculties if he stays within the same diocese.

We have some priests in our region whom we could call unaffiliated, but that was not my understanding of what an Independent is.  (I could have a faulty understanding.)  The unaffiliated near me have left their N.O. parishes, having become fed up with the N.O. in general, including the diocesan priorities and their former roles and limitations within it.  These men are committed to the TLM but have left their dioceses and now lead small parishes or segments of parishes who want to attend the TLM.  These priests I would not necessarily call radically traditionalist (that is, they were not formed in Tradition), but I have noticed that priests who break away from their dioceses and from the N.O. become increasingly disillusioned by Conciliarism and the entire diocesan structure/politics and convert steadily to Tradition.

To a man, priests who exclusively celebrate the TLM report that it changes their priesthood profoundly.  Often that change includes conversion to traditional doctrine and spirituality, which are really inseparable from liturgy (properly understood), anyway.

Yes, as far as independent, you have to make sure there is nothing bad surrounding the reason for them becoming independent.

I have never heard the term "unaffiliated".  All the independent priests I know have been properly ordained and are under a legitimate bishop, whether in the bishop's diocese or not.  I believe many independent priests consider themselves missionaries, as the SSPX was formed to be, thus not needing a local bishops' approval to administer any sacrament.

Maybe "unaffiliated" refers to those priests who have no bishop they report to?  I call them "rouge".  I would not attend such a mass, as canon law dictates that every priest have a superior.