Which language should I learn?

Started by LausTibiChriste, October 24, 2015, 01:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LausTibiChriste

So many to choose from, what are your thoughts?
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Bernadette

What are your options, and what is your primary reason for learning it?
My Lord and my God.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Bernadette on October 24, 2015, 01:50:12 PM

Any one really, and mostly for web design/apps

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Bernadette

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on October 24, 2015, 01:55:27 PM

Oh. Then I have no idea, because I don't know which would be most useful for that. Probably can't go wrong with Spanish these days, though.
My Lord and my God.

Heinrich

Do you mean programming language?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Heinrich on October 24, 2015, 02:19:28 PM

Yeah sorry haha, my bad   :-[

- MaximGun

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Jayne

My personal computer expert (my husband) recommends Java.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Bernadette

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on October 24, 2015, 02:22:42 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on October 24, 2015, 02:19:28 PM

Yeah sorry haha, my bad   :-[

Well, I feel like a doofus! :lol:
My Lord and my God.

Akavit

I've no idea what's in demand in the coding world but MySQL is a good one to know if you plan on doing much backend work on websites.  I know just enough to be able to go in and adjust databases to perform site transfers and similar maintenance tasks and it's handy.

Learn more than one language though.  Once you get the first one down, the others get easier.  After learning a variation of C I was able to pick up bits of XML, MySQL and CSS.

Wordpress requires HTML, Javascript, CSS and PHP.

Lynne

Quote from: Kaesekopf on October 24, 2015, 03:30:05 PM
codeacademy is supposed to be good

I used Codeacademy to learn CSS. It was a very good class (and free!)

Quote from: Akavit on October 24, 2015, 10:46:44 PM
I've no idea what's in demand in the coding world but MySQL is a good one to know if you plan on doing much backend work on websites.  I know just enough to be able to go in and adjust databases to perform site transfers and similar maintenance tasks and it's handy.

Learn more than one language though.  Once you get the first one down, the others get easier.  After learning a variation of C I was able to pick up bits of XML, MySQL and CSS.

Wordpress requires HTML, Javascript, CSS and PHP.

SQL is very good to know too and Akavit is right, you'll want to know more than one.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Gardener

I'm by no means a programmer, so listen to those with more experience over me, but if you are talking about web design and apps:

HTML, CSS, Java, SQL, Python all come to mind very quickly.

Some of these involve presentation and some involve more back-end processes, with some mixing.

I'd recommend finding the web pages you like, or that contain elements you see which you know would be something you'd like to be able to offer.

You can get a feel for these various languages and how they interplay by right-clicking and doing "inspect element", if on Firefox -- not everything will be there, as some stuff gets called in and its parent program is not available for viewing in this method.

Also keep in mind that there are a lot of compiler programs which do the basics, or programmers will also make their own templates which get modified for specific use always or on a project -- it would be asinine to program each page's theme if the site as a whole has a style of presentation.

Notepad++ is your friend.

Start small and embrace the idea of logic allowing expansible writing.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Flora

I took a Java programming course in high school and really struggled with it. Not because of the logic but because of the syntax -- it's a lot more verbose than Python and can be confusing for beginners (well, for me, anyway). I later took a Python course through Coursera.org (great site -- professors from top universities teach free courses online) over the summer for fun and liked it a lot better. Python's syntax is a lot more elegant, shorter, and easier to understand. However, I've been told that Java is better than Python for real projects, since it runs faster and uses static language. Python seems to be better for running small scripts, and its learning curve is a lot lower, so...imo...Python is a good first language to learn.

dymphna17

Is there one that helps you understand Internet Basement Jockeys?  That would be helpful.   ;) :P
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica