Holy Land Pilgrimage

Started by LausTibiChriste, February 04, 2024, 10:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LausTibiChriste

Has anyone here been to the Holy Land? Looks like we'll be going for Easter and I want to make the most of it so I'm looking for suggestions/past experiences etc.

I've been to Haifa for 2 days before but never got to see anything other than the port and the inside of a few bars.

Church of the Holy Sepulchre is obviously a must, along with Bethlehem and Nazareth. If y'all have any specific things that would be cool to see, I'm all ears.

Looks like there aren't any TLMs in Israel, but there are a few Melkite and Maronite parishes that will keep me satisfied.

Thanks!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Melkor

Not me but I know some people who have. Personally the Sea of Galilee would be dope. Also seeing some old crusader castles would be a must for me.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Greg

I went there for my honeymoon.

Hard to say currently.  Well away from Gaza I would think.

Sea of Galilee is nice and visiting the actual towns where Jesus passed through or lived.  That was the best part for me.  River Jordan is pretty.  Dead Sea well worth a day trip.  Jerusalem obviously but they probably have checkpoints every 500 yards now.

The food was nice.  Very healthy.  I found the properly religious Jews there very friendly.  The Orthodox ones who wear black.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Michael Wilson

A friend of mine felt emotional during his visit to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

drummerboy

Mount Carmel is near Nazareth.  But I think there's an Orthodox monastery on the summit now.  Maybe some ruins are accessible though? At least the view would be worth a drive.

Otherwise you could go and laugh at the people praying at the foundation of the Roman garrison's fortress of Antonia, AKA: "the wailing wall...."
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Michael Wilson

The "wailing wall" is the Western portion of a retaining wall built by King Herod the Great, in order to expand the surface area of the Temple Mount, in order to expand the size of the second Temple and also accommodate his royal palace and fortress. It isn't a part of the Temple structure, so the going there and praying makes absolutely no sense.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

drummerboy

Quote from: Michael Wilson on February 11, 2024, 04:54:33 PMThe "wailing wall" is the Western portion of a retaining wall built by King Herod the Great, in order to expand the surface area of the Temple Mount, in order to expand the size of the second Temple and also accommodate his royal palace and fortress. It isn't a part of the Temple structure, so the going there and praying makes absolutely no sense.

Exactly!  It's so obvious when you look at a map or illustration of Jerusalem at the time it is NOT the Temple.  But desperation will cause people to fool themselves.  The Jews despised Christ, earning God's rejection, and out of despair they'll grasp for anything.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

dymphnaw

Wouldn't it be wise to wait until the Israelis have finished bombing before traveling?

awkward customer

Quote from: dymphnaw on February 19, 2024, 01:45:15 PMWouldn't it be wise to wait until the Israelis have finished bombing before traveling?

A sensible comment at last.

A pilgrimage to a war zone could be full of surprises, especially as tensions in the region continue to escalate.

It's madness to even think of going there.

Greg

I wouldn't say it was madness.  The genocide is pretty fenced in and localised.

I can't see the Arabs attacking a Canadian passport holder with a Russian wife.  They need all the international sympathy they can get.

Just don't mention the war.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: awkward customer on February 20, 2024, 07:40:26 AM
Quote from: dymphnaw on February 19, 2024, 01:45:15 PMWouldn't it be wise to wait until the Israelis have finished bombing before traveling?

A pilgrimage to a war zone could be full of surprises, especially as tensions in the region continue to escalate.

Its madness to think single women deserve a voice. Pipe down.

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

awkward customer

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on February 24, 2024, 01:05:25 PM
Quote from: awkward customer on February 20, 2024, 07:40:26 AM

Its madness to think single women deserve a voice. Pipe down.

Spoken like the bitch you are.

LausTibiChriste

Airline cancelled flights - who knew the Turks were so scared.

Anyways, Russia instead in 3 weeks. Will be there for Easter.

- MaximGun

awkward customer

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on March 05, 2024, 09:07:19 AMAirline cancelled flights - who knew the Turks were so scared.

Who knew the Turks had more sense than you.

Bitch .....

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: awkward customer on March 06, 2024, 03:18:18 AM
Quote from: LausTibiChriste on March 05, 2024, 09:07:19 AMAirline cancelled flights - who knew the Turks were so scared.

Who knew the Turks had more sense than you.

Bitch....

I hope your husband talks some sense into you

- MaximGun