prayers for when you are afraid

Started by Chestertonian, September 06, 2014, 09:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chestertonian

funny story....

my sister, rachel, is a flight attendant and flies all over the world.  sometimes, she'll call me and other family members at strange hours, just to chat.  the conversation is always something like...

me: hello?
her: hi
me: hi
her: how are you?
me:  fine.  is everything ok?
her:  just wanted to know how you're doing
me:  i was sleeping
her:  well, i'm in rio di janiero and just walking back to my hotel. 
me:  are you lost?
her:  no, i have maps on my phone...just wanted to say hi.
me:  hi.
her:  hi.
me:  .............
her: what are you doing?
me: talking to you!

her order of phone calls are:me, my mom, my other sister, her husband, my wife.  she says she calls me first because she know i'm always up at weird times and i'm usually not up to much (thanks!)

it turns out she makes these calls when she's in an unfamiliar place and she's walking at night alone.  for some reason it calms her down and keeps her from being panicky.  mystery solved.  doesn't make the calls any less awkward :)

i told her, "you know, the devil is afraid of the blessed virgin mary.  he will recoil even at her name." her response?  "you're weird."  well, we all knew that.

my impulse when i panic is to say the holy name of Jesus.  if i am too afraid even to pray, that is what i do
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Bernadette

Quote from: Chestertonian on September 06, 2014, 09:06:41 PM
[...]
my impulse when i panic is to say the holy name of Jesus.  if i am too afraid even to pray, that is what i do

This is an excellent practice. The Holy Name of Mary, too. :) I've just finished listening to St. Alphonsus praising the power of the Name of Mary- I love stuff like this. I've actually had nightmares in which I'm so scared that I call on Mary and Jesus- thankfully I've never been scared enough in real life to need to do it!
My Lord and my God.

Kaesekopf

It probably also, to some extent, makes her less prone to being attacked. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Vanna Grace

Long before I was Catholic, when I was a young child, I loved the Lord's Prayer (I actually don't have any idea how I knew it since I never attended church until middle school and none of my family were Christians...it is actually quite mysterious now that I think about it...hmmm). I was very fearful as a child and every night I would repeat the Lord's Prayer many times (and by "many" I mean anywhere from 10 to a 100 times a night).

To this day, I find great comfort, protection and bravery within that prayer.

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Lynne

I say the Hail Mary when I'm afraid, when I can't sleep, when I have bad dreams...
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

angelcookie

I think it's pretty common for women to call someone if they can at night while walking somewhere- at least whoever they are talking to knows where they are at the time. I do this too.

The prayers I use when scared are the Hail Mary, St. Michael and the Memorare.

zork

I wonder why women seem to seek Mary's protection before seeking God's or St. Michael's protection. (It seems this way per this thread and other women I know.)
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Chestertonian

Quote from: zork on September 15, 2014, 10:49:11 AM
I wonder why women seem to seek Mary's protection before seeking God's or St. Michael's protection. (It seems this way per this thread and other women I know.)

because it is the easiest way to be close to god

petitions are more pleasing when offered from the hands of mary it is not just for ladies
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

zork

Quote from: Chestertonian on September 15, 2014, 11:48:47 PM
Quote from: zork on September 15, 2014, 10:49:11 AM

because it is the easiest way to be close to god

petitions are more pleasing when offered from the hands of mary it is not just for ladies

Oh, I know. I have a devotion to Mary (per the DeMontfort Total Consecration) and turn to her often.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

piabee

It's probably better for her to stay aware of her surroundings in a strange place than to be distracted on the phone. And if it's a smart phone it can be a target for theft.