What's your opinion on lace?

Started by Relicario, February 24, 2015, 06:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duchamp

Quote from: Rube on February 25, 2015, 10:10:46 AM
Quote from: GloriaPatri on February 25, 2015, 09:11:38 AM
Quote from: Rube on February 25, 2015, 08:32:55 AM
Quote from: GloriaPatri on February 24, 2015, 07:08:29 PM
Lace, to me at least, makes vestments seem less substantial. I'm not a fan, and if I were pope for a day it would be one of the things I would ban.
A pope needs more to go on than personal preference. If the Church in the past approved of anything, then it is good in itself. A pope would need some proportionately and extrinsic good reason to suddenly forbid it.
It was little more than personal preference when a pope first allowed lace to be used in vestments. A preference that is only a few centuries old and is limited to the Latin rite. It was an aesthetic innovation that, quite frankly, should be done away with. Lace has the connotation of femininity, and in this day and age doesn't help the image of the Church.

It doesn't have the connotation of femininity, objectively, otherwise the Church wouldn't have tolerated it. But, I do agree that it would, perhaps, be a good extrinsic reason to limit it because of the weaknesses of our present, sick age.

As an actively culturally experimental artist. I can verify that Rube is completely correct. There are principles at work here, beyond alligator pullovers, and khakis. The reason I embrace alligator pullovers and khakis... is for the subtle unspoken reasons Rube presents... not because I like them. I pretty much hate them if I get the chance, actually, for the unparadise and pretension they represent.

Walter E. Williams said that the Commandments were a sign of not being in paradise yet. I agree. So I should probably be a little less harsh on alligator pullovers and khakis, and put them in the same camp.

VeraeFidei

Rube

Quote from: Duchamp on February 25, 2015, 07:16:31 PM
Lace, to me at least, makes vestments seem less substantial. I'm not a fan, and if I were pope for a day it would be one of the things I would ban.
A pope needs more to go on than personal preference. If the Church in the past approved of anything, then it is good in itself. A pope would need some proportionately and extrinsic good reason to suddenly forbid it.
It was little more than personal preference when a pope first allowed lace to be used in vestments. A preference that is only a few centuries old and is limited to the Latin rite. It was an aesthetic innovation that, quite frankly, should be done away with. Lace has the connotation of femininity, and in this day and age doesn't help the image of the Church.

It doesn't have the connotation of femininity, objectively, otherwise the Church wouldn't have tolerated it. But, I do agree that it would, perhaps, be a good extrinsic reason to limit it because of the weaknesses of our present, sick age.

As an actively culturally experimental artist. I can verify that Rube is completely correct. There are principles at work here, beyond alligator pullovers, and khakis. The reason I embrace alligator pullovers and khakis... is for the subtle unspoken reasons Rube presents... not because I like them. I pretty much hate them if I get the chance, actually, for the unparadise and pretension they represent.

Walter E. Williams said that the Commandments were a sign of not being in paradise yet. I agree. So I should probably be a little less harsh on alligator pullovers and khakis, and put them in the same camp.

Sorry to say, I don't know what you are talking about. Can you summarize in a sentence?

Duchamp

Quote from: Rube on February 26, 2015, 09:56:56 AM

Sorry to say, I don't know what you are talking about. Can you summarize in a sentence?

Just empathize a little. Since we no longer have the ability to edit our posts (they will be available to the singularity for as long as hosting provides). I'm inclined to no longer explain myself on this site. Particularly when the subtleties constitute my personal intellectual property and means.

One sentence: (You) Empathize.

Rube

Quote from: Duchamp on February 26, 2015, 10:16:28 AM
Quote from: Rube on February 26, 2015, 09:56:56 AM
Just empathize a little. Since we no longer have the ability to edit our posts (they will be available to the singularity for as long as hosting provides). I'm inclined to no longer explain myself on this site. Particularly when the subtleties constitute my personal intellectual property and means.
One sentence: (You) Empathize.

Yes, we do have the ability here to edit our posts.

And, the rest of what you wrote....I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Duchamp

In a day or two you wont. (be able to edit your post)

I talk to individuals (or try to--living basically alone most of the time) I'm not interested in using language that is so precise that eventually a computer will be able to digest it, because we all "played by the rules."... and therefore we'll all be so sure of ourselves.

I can give you a little help: Lace = analogous to representation of paradise; Cultural expectations = alligator pullovers and khakis.

Rube

Quote from: Duchamp on February 26, 2015, 12:11:46 PM
In a day or two you wont. (be able to edit your post)
I talk to individuals (or try to--living basically alone most of the time) I'm not interested in using language that is so precise that eventually a computer will be able to digest it, because we all "played by the rules."... and therefore we'll all be so sure of ourselves.
I can give you a little help: Lace = analogous to representation of paradise; Cultural expectations = alligator pullovers and khakis.

I am not interested in discussing in riddles. I like it straightforward and concise.

LausTibiChriste

I'm actually really shocked at the anti-lace sentiment on here. To be fair, I've never given it any thought really, but that's mainly because I always considered it part and parcel with liturgical vestments. I like it, and albs with well done lace can and do look really nice. But if it's effeminate maybe that means I'm a fag?
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Kaesekopf

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on February 26, 2015, 05:30:52 PM
But if it's effeminate maybe that means I'm a fag?

Didn't need this thread to tell us that...  ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Elizabeth

Quote from: Rube on February 26, 2015, 10:33:05 AM

In order to understand Duchamp, one must understand DaDa.  Look up Marcel Duchamp and his Dada movement.   ;D

Rube

Quote from: Elizabeth on February 27, 2015, 10:46:43 AM
Quote from: Rube on February 26, 2015, 10:33:05 AM
In order to understand Duchamp, one must understand DaDa. Look up Marcel Duchamp and his Dada movement. ;D

Warped, twisted. Why name yourself after an atheist?

Frater

I love lace.

And the last thing we need right now is a new wave of archeologism advocating a return to supposedly simpler, less ornate times.

Besides, when the priest walks towards the altar with his rather taciturn face the last thing I think is that he looks feminine just because of a bit of lace in the extremity of his alb.

Sicut cervus desiderat ad fontes aquarum, ita desiderat anima mea ad te Deus.

"Journalism is the art of translating abysmal ignorance into execrable prose", David B. Hart

VeraeFidei

Quote from: Frater on March 01, 2015, 05:36:03 PM
I love lace.

And the last thing we need right now is a new wave of archeologism advocating a return to supposedly simpler, less ornate times.

Besides, when the priest walks towards the altar with his rather taciturn face the last thing I think is that he looks feminine just because of a bit of lace in the extremity of his alb.
The problem with lace is not to much ornamentation. For example, I am all for appareled albs, but not lace ones. If you are going to make an argument, understand what you are arguing against.

Archer

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on February 26, 2015, 05:30:52 PM
I'm actually really shocked at the anti-lace sentiment on here. To be fair, I've never given it any thought really, but that's mainly because I always considered it part and parcel with liturgical vestments. I like it, and albs with well done lace can and do look really nice. But if it's effeminate maybe that means I'm a fag?

Is this your coming out party?

Lace: less is more.

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

LausTibiChriste

Note to self: No more self-deprecating jokes

Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie