What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Wilson

"The Mysteries of Christianity", Fr. Mathias Joseph Scheeben. People here may be familiar with his work: "The Glories of Divine Grace"; this work takes one through the deepest questions of Catholic doctrine: The Blessed Trinity; the Incarnation; Original Sin; the Redemption; etc. etc. Its not written in the style of a manual of dogmatic theology; it is written in essay form, drawing from both the Scolastic sources and Patristic; he enthralls the reader with his beautiful descriptions of the mysteries of our faith. I highly recommend this book; its well worth the effort.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Kaesekopf

I'm really, really trying to get through Ed Feser's "Aquinas."  So far, so good.  I'm 40 pages in and it's going slow but well.  It's like drinking water from a fire hydrant, though! 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 23, 2021, 12:01:14 AM
I'm really, really trying to get through Ed Feser's "Aquinas."  So far, so good.  I'm 40 pages in and it's going slow but well.  It's like drinking water from a fire hydrant, though!

Take heart.  Slow, deep reading is better than getting through a book quickly, if you really want to grasp and understand the material well.  Keeping a notebook handy to write down your favorite quotes will help all the more.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on January 23, 2021, 08:20:57 AM

Take heart.  Slow, deep reading is better than getting through a book quickly, if you really want to grasp and understand the material well.  Keeping a notebook handy to write down your favorite quotes will help all the more.
For sure ! 
And I have a little. Notebook with me when reading for just that reason.  :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Michael Wilson

James03  is a big fan of Fesser's and has recommended his books on several occasions; I will eventually get around to reading him.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Philip G.

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on January 23, 2021, 08:20:57 AM

Take heart.  Slow, deep reading is better than getting through a book quickly, if you really want to grasp and understand the material well. 

I prefer to devour a book, or fall asleep. 
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

red solo cup

Quote from: Michael Wilson on January 23, 2021, 01:14:35 PM
James03  is a big fan of Fesser's and has recommended his books on several occasions; I will eventually get around to reading him.
Feser made my brain hurt.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Christina_S

Just got two in from the library: O'Connor's The Violent Bear it Away and Undset's Ida Elisabeth. But I need to finish this teaching application before I can crack them open.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

red solo cup

The Minutemen and Their World by Robert Gross

Melkor

The Sea Wolves: A history of the Vikings by Lars Brownsworth. Excellent author, and avoids the usual slights against Christianity employed by many historical authors.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Christina_S

Dear husband and I are reading through The Marian Option by Carrie Gress. It's supposed to be a response to Dreher's The Benedict Option, but so far, I'm unconvinced by her unclear thesis and lack of solid scholarly work.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

red solo cup

Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe

Jacob

Girl Around the World, by Dorothy Kilgallen.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Melkor

Coming in the mail is a book on Richard the Lionhearted, and another one on Saladin. Also H.P. Lovecraft stories compilation. Very excited.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Jacob

Demonic Foes, by Richard Gallagher, MD
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson