Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Daniel on January 18, 2018, 08:25:28 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 18, 2018, 06:34:25 PM
Is there anyone else here who saw Attack of the Clones in the theater when it was first released?  I have a question for you.
I'm sure I did, but I can't recall the details (I was in middle school at the time).

I talked about this with a friend a long time ago who had seen it in the theater, but I wanted to see if anyone else remembered it in case we were remembering wrong.  In the movie, when Anakin and Padme are back on Naboo and Anakin is showing off riding the creature, he gets thrown off and plays possum.  Padme runs over to see if he is dead and he pulls her down and they tussle for a bit, sharing cloying endearments like, "I love you" and "No, I love you more."

I told my friend I remembered this scene from the theater, but that whenever I saw the movie on TV, the last bit where they are on the ground had been cut out.  My friend seemed to remember similarly.

We both thought the scene was horrible and were glad it had been trimmed.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Daniel

Quote from: Jacob on January 19, 2018, 10:02:22 AM
Quote from: Daniel on January 18, 2018, 08:25:28 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 18, 2018, 06:34:25 PM
Is there anyone else here who saw Attack of the Clones in the theater when it was first released?  I have a question for you.
I'm sure I did, but I can't recall the details (I was in middle school at the time).

I talked about this with a friend a long time ago who had seen it in the theater, but I wanted to see if anyone else remembered it in case we were remembering wrong.  In the movie, when Anakin and Padme are back on Naboo and Anakin is showing off riding the creature, he gets thrown off and plays possum.  Padme runs over to see if he is dead and he pulls her down and they tussle for a bit, sharing cloying endearments like, "I love you" and "No, I love you more."

I told my friend I remembered this scene from the theater, but that whenever I saw the movie on TV, the last bit where they are on the ground had been cut out.  My friend seemed to remember similarly.

We both thought the scene was horrible and were glad it had been trimmed.
Well, I'm glad I don't remember that part :)

But help me out here... in one of the prequel movies, I remember seeing the Millennium Falcon in one of the scenes. Like a cameo appearance. It was all new-looking and shiny and made of chrome. I don't remember which movie it was in, though. But after re-watching all of them on DVD, I didn't notice it in any of them. Not sure whether I just missed it, or if they cut it... or maybe it was never there to begin with (perhaps I imagined the whole thing...?)

red solo cup

Solace with Anthony Hopkins. Very average. Hopkins was wooden.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Jacob

The Witch, a horror movie PdR mentioned in The Benedict Option thread awhile ago.  It was all I thought it would be and more.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

red solo cup

The Circle with Tom Hanks and Emma Watson. I alternated between contempt and fury.

Mono no aware

Quote from: Jacob on February 01, 2018, 09:08:21 PM
The Witch, a horror movie PdR mentioned in The Benedict Option thread awhile ago.  It was all I thought it would be and more.

I'm glad you liked it.  It would definitely rate in my "top five" of horror films.  Unfortunately, I've read where the writer-director's next project is going to be a remake of Nosferatu, which seems like a manifestation of egomaniacal insanity, since Werner Herzog already did a remake of that movie in 1979 with Klaus Kinski and Isabelle Adjani, and that remake is not only better than the original but would also be in my horror top five.  There is no way some bearded hipster in skinny jeans is going to top Nosferatu the Vampyre.

Speaking of recommendations, I am about halfway through Master & Commander, the first book in the Aubrey-Maturin series which you had recommended a while back.  I remember my dad had a lot of those on his bookshelf when I was growing up.  It's pretty good so far.  I'm not sure if he's supposed to be, but I think James Dillon might be my favorite character at this point.  The only criticism I have is that there's a ponderous amount of technical jargon; the author seems to assume that every reader will be a "19th century British navy" nerd.  And I don't think I'm all that ignorant of nautical terminology, but some of the descriptive passages are nearly impenetrable.  It should've come with a glossary.  My favorite "seafaring adventure" novel is Lord Jim.  I don't expect Patrick O'Brian to surpass Joseph Conrad, but it's still good.  A couple years ago I read The Terror by Dan Simmons, which is another 19th century Royal Navy novel, and that one was good too.

Mono no aware

The second-to-last movie I saw was Diary of a Chambermaid (for the second time), and I noticed a possible gaffe in that they appeared to be having a dialogue Mass even though the period setting I think predates that.  It contains a small subplot involving the Dreyfus Affair which made me hope that The Prague Cemetery will someday get a film adaptation.

The last movie I saw was From the Land of the Moon.

Jacob

Quote from: Pon de Replay on February 02, 2018, 08:22:49 AM
Unfortunately, I've read where the writer-director's next project is going to be a remake of Nosferatu, which seems like a manifestation of egomaniacal insanity, since Werner Herzog already did a remake of that movie in 1979 with Klaus Kinski and Isabelle Adjani, and that remake is not only better than the original but would also be in my horror top five.

I read that too.  But I am hopefully it won't come off.  Wiki quoted the actress as saying she was involved, but that was 2015, but the movie itself isn't listed in her filmography as even in production or post-production.  The movie must be in turnaround or something.

Quote from: Pon de Replay on February 02, 2018, 08:22:49 AM
Speaking of recommendations, I am about halfway through Master & Commander, the first book in the Aubrey-Maturin series which you had recommended a while back.  I remember my dad had a lot of those on his bookshelf when I was growing up.  It's pretty good so far.  I'm not sure if he's supposed to be, but I think James Dillon might be my favorite character at this point.  The only criticism I have is that there's a ponderous amount of technical jargon; the author seems to assume that every reader will be a "19th century British navy" nerd.  And I don't think I'm all that ignorant of nautical terminology, but some of the descriptive passages are nearly impenetrable.  It should've come with a glossary.  My favorite "seafaring adventure" novel is Lord Jim.  I don't expect Patrick O'Brian to surpass Joseph Conrad, but it's still good.  A couple years ago I read The Terror by Dan Simmons, which is another 19th century Royal Navy novel, and that one was good too.

The terminology is dense, yes.  Even after a few books, I was till laboring through certain passages.  But I learned to roll with it and pick out the most salient parts without getting bogged down.
--Neal Stephenson

Stu Cool

Quote from: Daniel on January 19, 2018, 04:39:22 PM

But help me out here... in one of the prequel movies, I remember seeing the Millennium Falcon in one of the scenes. Like a cameo appearance. It was all new-looking and shiny and made of chrome. I don't remember which movie it was in, though. But after re-watching all of them on DVD, I didn't notice it in any of them. Not sure whether I just missed it, or if they cut it... or maybe it was never there to begin with (perhaps I imagined the whole thing...?)

It's Revenge of the Sith after rescuing the Chancellor. A ship is pulling into a building on Coruscant and you can see it flying in the bottom portion of the screen.

red solo cup

Allied with Brad Pitt. Not bad but Pitt's expression barely changed throughout the film. Maybe a little too much botox?

martin88nyc

LOTR trilogy (directors cut, extended version)
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Gardener

Quote from: Lynne on February 06, 2018, 02:25:37 PM
Quote from: Gardener on February 06, 2018, 10:25:09 AM
Cars 3.

What did the family think of it?  :D

Wife laughed a lot. Oldest loved it. It didn't have any scenes that scared him, unlike the first Cars movie. That one, there is a scene where a combine tractor is chasing Mater and Lightning. We often hear about how the "popcorn trac'or is scary".

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe