What's on your to-read list?

Started by Bernadette, August 16, 2019, 07:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

For me, it's Shelby Foote's Civil War Narrative series. I got it for Kindle a while ago, and saw him on Ken Burns' Civil War documentary. I really really want to read it, but I've got so many other books to finish first! So what do you want to read next?  :P
My Lord and my God.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Bernadette on August 16, 2019, 07:43:18 AM
For me, it's Shelby Foote's Civil War Narrative series. I got it for Kindle a while ago, and saw him on Ken Burns' Civil War documentary. I really really want to read it, but I've got so many other books to finish first! So what do you want to read next?  :P

Yeah, that's on my to read list also
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Bernadette

Oh, and Warren Carroll's Christendom series.  ;D
My Lord and my God.

Mono no aware

Quote from: Bernadette on August 16, 2019, 07:43:18 AM
For me, it's Shelby Foote's Civil War Narrative series. I got it for Kindle a while ago, and saw him on Ken Burns' Civil War documentary. I really really want to read it, but I've got so many other books to finish first!

I recently watched that documentary series, too.  I thought Foote was the best interviewee by far.  The kernels of trivia he knew were fascinating.  His obsessiveness over the war is Faulknerian (and he quoted Faulkner).  You could listen to him talk all day, between his Mississippi accent, his volumes of Dostoyevsky on the bookshelf behind him, and his telling of interesting stories.  I liked his attempt to describe the "rebel yell" of the Confederate soldiers.  There are no recordings.  It was something like a guttural whoop that rose to a banshee shriek.  And Foote quoted a Union infantryman: "if you say you heard it and claim you weren't scared, then you never heard it."

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Bernadette on August 16, 2019, 09:26:07 AM
Oh, and Warren Carroll's Christendom series.  ;D
I started reading that series, and when Dr. Carol explained away the miracle of the parting of the Red Sea as a natural occurrence,  I tossed it.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Bernadette

Quote from: Michael Wilson on August 16, 2019, 04:44:44 PM
I started reading that series, and when Dr. Carol explained away the miracle of the parting of the Red Sea as a natural occurrence,  I tossed it.

Okay, that's a problem. Guess I won't be buying the rest of the series, then, and I can take it off of my list.
My Lord and my God.

Josephine87

I started the first volume of Foote's trilogy.  It was really well-written, but I couldn't hold the book one-handed (I was reading while nursing a small baby at the time).  I hope to get back to it one day. 
"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

"My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Bernadette on August 16, 2019, 05:00:27 PM
Quote from: Michael Wilson on August 16, 2019, 04:44:44 PM

Okay, that's a problem. Guess I won't be buying the rest of the series, then, and I can take it off of my list.
Yes, that was a real disappointment for me, as I really enjoyed his other books, such as "Our Lady of Guadalupe and the Conquest of Darkness" (on the conquest of Mexico); "The Cross and the Guillotine" (on the French Revolution); I can't remember the others; but the above mentioned work already had my "Catholic spider senses" tingling on a few things, but I was willing to overlook them, until the "non-miracle" of the parting of the Red Sea. Adios, and goodbye too, to that book. Bummer; I was looking forward to reading the whole series. I didn't know that my sister who home schools her kids had also bought the books to use as a text for history, and she also ended up tossing the books out. 
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

orate

A book by our own OCLittleFlower.  I'm a beta reader for her latest creation.  Just received it and downloaded it.  I can't wait! I'm having surgery tomorrow so I'm waiting til after that to start.  I hope she gets it published!
I love Thee, Jesus, my love.  Grant me the grace to love Thee always, and do with me what Thou wilt.

"Blame yourself, then change yourself.  That's where we all need to start."   Dr. Louis IX (aka "Dr. Walty")

Kephapaulos

I am in the midst of reading The Principle of the Integral, one of Fr. Ripperger's latest published books.

martin88nyc

Quote from: orate on August 18, 2019, 05:37:34 AM
A book by our own OCLittleFlower.  I'm a beta reader for her latest creation.  Just received it and downloaded it.  I can't wait! I'm having surgery tomorrow so I'm waiting til after that to start.  I hope she gets it published!
Can we all take a look at it?
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

orate

Quote from: martin88nyc on August 27, 2019, 04:01:48 PM
Quote from: orate on August 18, 2019, 05:37:34 AM
Can we all take a look at it?

You'll have to ask her if she needs more beta readers.  It is her intellectual property, so I am not allowed to share it without her permission.
I love Thee, Jesus, my love.  Grant me the grace to love Thee always, and do with me what Thou wilt.

"Blame yourself, then change yourself.  That's where we all need to start."   Dr. Louis IX (aka "Dr. Walty")

Machaut1377

Njal's Saga, The Histories (Herodotus), The King's Two Bodies: Study in Medieval Political Theology.