What to do when the mass is banned outright

Started by probablywontmakeit, September 10, 2023, 10:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

probablywontmakeit

I read about Christians living in persecution in Rome, when they had to hide in the catacombs.

I'm a loud, clumsy person with no social graces. If I try to make it to underground confession, underground mass, or underground coffee and donuts, it will only be a matter of time before I accidentally get the entire congregation caught. This isn't pessimistic thinking: if you could ask anyone who knows me they'd verify it

And since we all know God's not going to come down from heaven to blind the watchmen, it begs the question: what should I do when this happens? Should I seek out the Eucharist or protect the other parishioners by staying away?

TheSaintsAreComing

Don't worry, you'll cross that bridge when you get to it
I'm gone

clau clau

1 A psalm for David.

The Lord ruleth me: and I shall want nothing.  2 He hath set me in a place of pasture. He hath brought me up, on the water of refreshment:  3 He hath converted my soul. He hath led me on the paths of justice, for his own name's sake.  4 For though I should walk in the midst of the shadow of death, I will fear no evils, for thou art with me. Thy rod and thy staff, they have comforted me.  5 Thou hast prepared a table before me against them that afflict me. Thou hast anointed my head with oil; and my chalice which inebriateth me, how goodly is it!

-- https://www.drbo.org/chapter/21022.htm

Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

TradGranny

Quote from: probablywontmakeit on September 10, 2023, 10:11:56 PMI read about Christians living in persecution in Rome, when they had to hide in the catacombs.

I'm a loud, clumsy person with no social graces. If I try to make it to underground confession, underground mass, or underground coffee and donuts, it will only be a matter of time before I accidentally get the entire congregation caught. This isn't pessimistic thinking: if you could ask anyone who knows me they'd verify it

And since we all know God's not going to come down from heaven to blind the watchmen, it begs the question: what should I do when this happens? Should I seek out the Eucharist or protect the other parishioners by staying away?

Ask Our Lady for guidance. What concerns me about underground anything is that people will bring their tracking devices (cell phones) with them. Or they may leave them in their cars (like that would stop the corrupt ones from zeroing in on the TLM that they want to suppress).
To have courage for whatever comes in life - everything lies in that.
Saint Teresa of Avila

Michael Wilson

If you do get everyone exposed and killed, they will thank you for all eternity in Heaven for obtaining them this great grace. So go to the Mass.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Francisco Javier

Quote from: probablywontmakeit on September 10, 2023, 10:11:56 PMI read about Christians living in persecution in Rome, when they had to hide in the catacombs.

honestly, your posts kinda make me angry with your constant defeatism.

Live a virtuous life, fail if you must, but live and die in such a way that you can confidently tell God you did your best to love Him and your neighbor for love of Him.

I get that hope is a virtue for a reason - it ain't always easy! But at least try. Do your best, and trust in God to do the rest.

But this 'probably wont make it' malarky is just depressing to everyone else who reads it. It's okay to struggle, doubt your own abilities, whatever. But God forbids you to despair. No matter how bad you make things, God sustains you because He desires to give you another chance to turn to Him. If He didn't want to let you live, He'd end your life. So live it, try to live it well.

You're right to be so terrified - we cant win against such terrible forces on our own, but that's okay because Christ has already won victory for us. We just need to trust in Him and His promise.

diaduit

My mantra during the Covid lockdowns was ' if an opportunity presented itself then God wants me there', if I met a checkpoint, then God wants to test my patience, if I got through then God was looking after me, If I got caught then God wants me to offer up, if I got fined, then God wants me to suffer.
Whether others go or not is nothing to do with you and you shouldn't concern yourself.  BTW my late father was brought to underground masses and he was in a wheelchair and kind of oblivious to social distancing and the fact that we were sneaking about, he was happy to see people, grab their hands and chat, he was very clumsy....we got on alright.

Michael Wilson

"The Price of Heaven has never been this cheap"; what the Spanish martyrs of their Civil War said to each other as they were being led to execution.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

josh987654321

Quote from: probablywontmakeit on September 10, 2023, 10:11:56 PMI'm a loud, clumsy person with no social graces.

These things are not innate though, you could always learn.

Quote from: probablywontmakeit on September 10, 2023, 10:11:56 PMAnd since we all know God's not going to come down from heaven to blind the watchmen, it begs the question: what should I do when this happens? Should I seek out the Eucharist or protect the other parishioners by staying away?

Well, if your not doing anything purposefully stupid, at that point everyone is taking a risk, and it could end up being the most innocuous of things that gets people caught anyway (do not take your mobile phone with you).

The lockdowns were a trial run for myself and others too, now I'm not going around blabbering about going to Mass during this time (fines were in place), and I'm not going to be standing outside the Church having a good ol' chat as people drive past etc.

Now if I got busted and had to pay a large fine, I'd be upset, but I knew the risk and provided nobody was being intentionally negligent I can accept that, but if someone was doing something obviously stupid that got me caught, I'd be upset with them, in fact I think most people would ditch if someone was being obviously reckless.

It's a joke now, but when it really matters, I think you'll be surprised at what you can do, everyone will have to use their own prudential judgement, now if they are going around advertising like it's a house party, I won't be going to that, likely a Priest will visit certain families, so it'll be about who you know or not as to whether it'll be available to you or not IMO, that way if one family gets busted it doesn't take them all down.

The biggest downfall is being baited to trust someone you shouldn't, such as someone requesting last rites or confession to try and catch the Priests going around doing this, or advertising a Mass and you don't know the Priest or anyone who's going, that's how they catch people out, that's why it'll be generally only between people who know and trust each other, rarely a new face, hence establish the connections before it happens if it's approaching IMO.

God Bless
"I will not delude you with prospects of peace and consolations; on the contrary, prepare for great battles. Know that you are now on a great stage where all heaven and earth are watching you. Fight like a knight, so that I can reward you. Do not be unduly fearful, because you are not alone." (Diary, 1760)

"It is in My Passion that you must seek light and strength." (Diary, 654)

"I never reject a contrite heart." (Diary, 1485)

probablywontmakeit

Quote from: Francisco Javier on September 11, 2023, 09:47:10 PM

honestly, your posts kinda make me angry with your constant defeatism.

Live a virtuous life, fail if you must, but live and die in such a way that you can confidently tell God you did your best to love Him and your neighbor for love of Him.

I get that hope is a virtue for a reason - it ain't always easy! But at least try. Do your best, and trust in God to do the rest.

But this 'probably wont make it' malarky is just depressing to everyone else who reads it. It's okay to struggle, doubt your own abilities, whatever. But God forbids you to despair. No matter how bad you make things, God sustains you because He desires to give you another chance to turn to Him. If He didn't want to let you live, He'd end your life. So live it, try to live it well.

You're right to be so terrified - we cant win against such terrible forces on our own, but that's okay because Christ has already won victory for us. We just need to trust in Him and His promise.

When I hear the word "hope" I think of something subjective like a viewpoint, opinion, or attitude. Why rely on something indeterminate when we can use actual information?

TradGranny

Quote from: probablywontmakeit on September 18, 2023, 05:39:10 PMWhen I hear the word "hope" I think of something subjective like a viewpoint, opinion, or attitude. Why rely on something indeterminate when we can use actual information?

To Catholics, Hope is a spiritual gift which we pray for in the first 3 Ave Maria's in the Rosary. Hope is the opposite of despair.
Saint Teresa of Avila

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: TradGranny on September 19, 2023, 02:20:42 PM
Quote from: probablywontmakeit on September 18, 2023, 05:39:10 PMWhen I hear the word "hope" I think of something subjective like a viewpoint, opinion, or attitude. Why rely on something indeterminate when we can use actual information?

To Catholics, Hope is a spiritual gift which we pray for in the first 3 Ave Maria's in the Rosary. Hope is the opposite of despair.

I always think of this verse 

Now faith is the substance of things to be hoped for, the evidence of things that appear not.  Hebrews 11:1

I know it says Faith, but Hope relies on believing that God can and will do what we don't see and/or understand
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

TradGranny

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on September 20, 2023, 09:22:58 AM
Quote from: TradGranny on September 19, 2023, 02:20:42 PM

I always think of this verse 

Now faith is the substance of things to be hoped for, the evidence of things that appear not.  Hebrews 11:1

I know it says Faith, but Hope relies on believing that God can and will do what we don't see and/or understand

Thank you for this. In times like this, we need this
Saint Teresa of Avila