Growing Celery

Started by Eliza, January 10, 2013, 04:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eliza

Because this idea was found on pinterest, I'm posting it here. Also, because I want to be the first one to post on this board.  ;D

Maybe this is old news for seasoned gardners, but I was super excited to learn about it! And I've been having so much fun with it.

Cut the bottom 2 or so inches off of your celery stock, and put it in a bowl of water. In about a week, you'll see little leaves start to pop up in the middle. After the leaves have grown about 1/2 an inch, plant the whole thing, stalk and all, in a pot. The only thing you should see coming out of the potting soil are the leaves. Give it plenty of water. It is celery, after all. Then sit it in your window sill and watch it grow all winter long! Oh, and when it gets a few inches tall, take a 2-liter pop bottle, cut both ends off, and sit it around your celery plant so it grows upwards, not out.

You can keep recycling your celery all year long, instead of buying it!

Kaesekopf

I saw someone do something similar with green onions.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Eliza

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 10, 2013, 04:36:29 PM

Oh really? hm. I might have to try that.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Eliza on January 10, 2013, 04:38:03 PM

Yeah, it was on Reddit.  So it's probably on Pinterest somewhere.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Hannelore

This is so handy! We go through a lot of celery in this house (because my uncle can go through a bunch by himself, eating it with spray cheez :o ), so this could make a nice dent in our grocery budget.
My Lord and my God.

Eliza

Quote from: Bernadette on January 10, 2013, 05:48:03 PM
This is so handy! We go through a lot of celery in this house (because my uncle can go through a bunch by himself, eating it with spray cheez :o ), so this could make a nice dent in our grocery budget.

It takes one awhile to get big enough to eat, but if you plant, harvest and replant at different times you should have a pretty steady crop. I have a big bay window overlooking my backyard so it's a perfect place to keep my potted plants (celery, herbs, vegetables, etc.)

Quo Vadis

Quote from: Eliza on January 10, 2013, 04:33:48 PM
Give it plenty of water. It is celery, after all. Then sit it in your window sill and watch it grow

I see your logic.  Therefore, I will give it alcohol, instead of water.
Since Christ Himself has said, "This is My Body" who shall dare to doubt that It is His Body?
-- St Cyril of Jerusalem

Eliza

Quote from: bowmandj on January 10, 2013, 07:04:37 PM
Quote from: Eliza on January 10, 2013, 04:33:48 PM
Give it plenty of water. It is celery, after all. Then sit it in your window sill and watch it grow

I see your logic.  Therefore, I will give it alcohol, instead of water.

*gasps*

Celery abuse.

Pheo

Ha, I do this with all of my green onions.  And if you're only going to be regrowing them once, you can just put them in water.  Twofer.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Eliza

Quote from: Pheo on January 10, 2013, 09:10:54 PM

Ha, I do this with all of my green onions.  And if you're only going to be regrowing them once, you can just put them in water.  Twofer.

Pheo, something tells me you have some other indoor vegetable growing tips up your sleeve. Don't hold out on us.  ;D

No but seriously. You knew about the celery and green onions. Do you know of any other vegetables that can be grown in a like manner?

Pheo

Well the only other one I've tried is mint, but since it grows like crazy if it isn't contained, it's probably not surprising that a sprig of it will start growing in water.  Garlic is another one that can be regrown from spare cloves, and I know you can do ginger too.  I'm sure there are others.

Oh I'm growing one more, but it's not quite the same.  Pineapple - I took the green top, stripped off the bottom few sets of leaves to expose the roots, sat the bottom in water till they started to regrow and now I have a nice pineapple plant growing!  I'd probably only ever get a small pineapple from it since it's not in super strong light, but it still looks neat just as a potted plant.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Quo Vadis

Well this is getting exciting.  Celery lowers my blood pressure.  i'd like to stop paying for food and just lose weight until this stuff grows.  Also, I heard there is an edible lawn weed which is cultivated in Europe and has lots of fish oil in it.  I remember it grows close to the ground.  Now I can't remember what it is, but I'd like to plant my barren lawn with this stuff.

Two questions.  What about meat?  Mint-fed mice maybe, floating in water if necessary?  And what can I grow fast that I can distill into alcohol? For my truck I mean!
Since Christ Himself has said, "This is My Body" who shall dare to doubt that It is His Body?
-- St Cyril of Jerusalem

Eliza

Quote from: Pheo on January 10, 2013, 10:06:23 PM
Well the only other one I've tried is mint, but since it grows like crazy if it isn't contained, it's probably not surprising that a sprig of it will start growing in water.  Garlic is another one that can be regrown from spare cloves, and I know you can do ginger too.  I'm sure there are others.

Oh I'm growing one more, but it's not quite the same.  Pineapple - I took the green top, stripped off the bottom few sets of leaves to expose the roots, sat the bottom in water till they started to regrow and now I have a nice pineapple plant growing!  I'd probably only ever get a small pineapple from it since it's not in super strong light, but it still looks neat just as a potted plant.

It'd be pretty awesome to grow and pineapple plant. I have a fresh pineapple just waiting to be cut up. Maybe I will take the opportunity to give it a shot.

I was walking through the grocery not but an hour ago and walked by green onions, saw that they were on sale, and bought them for the sole purpose of trying to regrow them. :) 2 bunches for $1.

I've never grown garlic, but I use so much of it that I really should. You can't beat fresh garlic.

GeorgeT

Quote from: Quo Vadis on January 11, 2013, 01:29:15 AM
Well this is getting exciting.  Celery lowers my blood pressure.  i'd like to stop paying for food and just lose weight until this stuff grows.  Also, I heard there is an edible lawn weed which is cultivated in Europe and has lots of fish oil in it.  I remember it grows close to the ground.  Now I can't remember what it is, but I'd like to plant my barren lawn with this stuff.

Two questions.  What about meat?  Mint-fed mice maybe, floating in water if necessary?  And what can I grow fast that I can distill into alcohol? For my truck I mean!

The weed is called purslane. Used in greek salads. Really tasty!
Check out my Lives of the saints comics!

http://tautkusstudio.com/pb/wp_8bec74cf/wp_8bec74cf.html

MamaOwl

If you put a clove of garlic root side down in a shot glass of water, it will grow a green stalk that tastes like garlicky green onions. :) I'm currently growing 64 heads of garlic in my garden, ready to harvest in July! One clove planted in the fall will turn into a head by summer.
Jesu cum Maria sit nobis in via.