Chopstick Crafting: Only $195!

Started by Akavit, January 29, 2017, 02:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akavit

As a public service to the die-hard sushi lovers on the forum, I wish to bring this to everyone's attention.  Instead of going broke on expensive, disposable chopsticks, one can buy this finely-crafted set of jigs and fixtures to make the perfect set of chopsticks.

QuoteThe Chopstick Masterâ„¢ comes complete with enough blanks to make 10 pairs of chopsticks, and when you divide the cost of the kit by 10, you can get a ball park cost for a pair of chopsticks.  Over a period of time, as you make more and more chopsticks, the initial cost of the unit becomes almost negligible.  Currently in the U.S., hand-made finished chopsticks are retailing around $60, and they can go much higher.

For those of you who have a creative voice that needs to be heard, chopsticks make a great platform for expression. They can be painted, air-brushed, gilded, lacquered, embellished, and the list goes on. I have seen chopsticks in both China and Japan that are well north of $500.  They make terrific gifts.

For those of you who shy away from using chopsticks, I believe that if you made your own, the impetus for use will overcome current inabilities. Chopsticks are fun and much more graceful than stabbing your food with a fork.  And with proper care, a single pair can last a lifetime.

Bridge City Tools: Chopstick Master

Disclosure: I am not a sushi lover as I prefer my fish dead and cooked before it's served.  I also enjoy stabbing my food with a fork.  "Take that you obstinate plate of peas!"

But Bridge City does make some very nice tools!

Jayne

I like sushi very much.  I own many pairs of chop sticks and can use them competently.  At home (and in Korean restaurants obviously) I am more likely to use Korean style (i.e. metal) chop sticks than wooden or bamboo ones. 

I suppose I am not the target market for this product, but it does make me feel good to know that it exists.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Chestertonian

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Akavit

It comes with pieces of wood to make chopsticks but the shaping work to get finished pieces has to be done by the buyer.

Bernadette

Real chopstick die-hards have their own personal pair of chopsticks and keep them in a special case.  8) Personally, I'm partial to a set of pretty sealed bamboo ones that we have, with colored flowers at the "handle" ends, and carved tips. They're pretty, comfortable to use, and grip noodles easily.  :thumbsup:

As for the tool: talk about a uni-tasker! Alton Brown would be appalled.  ;)

Edit: and the only kind of sushi I'm partial to is hand-held.  :P
My Lord and my God.

Akavit

Quote from: Bernadette on January 29, 2017, 05:22:29 PM
As for the tool: talk about a uni-tasker! Alton Brown would be appalled.  ;)

Uni-taskers: allowing the unskilled to participate in craft one gadget at a time.